SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,404 Posts
Interesting
I was told that USPS does not allow any batteries to be shipped.This was directly from a postal inspector.I guess someone didnt get the memo or there is some confusion on what is actually allowed.Its been close to a year tough.Possibly the policy has changed.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,761 Posts
Hello,
Here is the link to the regs about batteries.

USPS Regulataions, Scroll Down to 349.22

2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:30 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,404 Posts
Thanks 2dog
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It seems at least some dealers are misunderstanding what is allowed, eg. HobbyPartz. Oh well, Hobby King seems just fine with sending me my batteries.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
Thanks for posting that. It seems at least some dealers are misunderstanding what is allowed, eg. HobbyPartz. Oh well, Hobby King seems just fine with sending me my batteries.
Or some are just playing it really safe not wanting to get stuck with a giant fine for misunderstanding something.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:27 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
I just stopped into the PO today to mail something back for my wife. The postal employee went through the "nothing liquid, fragile, perishable... lithium batteries.." I asked him about it and he said as of about 3 weeks ago no lithium batteries can be shipped if they're not in a device. He specifically sited the example of a cordless drill with lithium battery saying the drill can be sent with a lithium battery plugged in, however a spare can not be shipped. No exceptions he said.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
I just stopped into the PO today to mail something back for my wife. The postal employee went through the "nothing liquid, fragile, perishable... lithium batteries.." I asked him about it and he said as of about 3 weeks ago no lithium batteries can be shipped if they're not in a device. He specifically sited the example of a cordless drill with lithium battery saying the drill can be sent with a lithium battery plugged in, however a spare can not be shipped. No exceptions he said.
He didn't review the restrictions very well then. The only thing that has changed is you can now ship lithium in a device internationally. Nothing else has changed. Domestic is still fine.

http://about.usps.com/news/national-...r12_ma1116.htm
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:49 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Thanks for the correction grimbeaver. I'll have to mention that to him next time I'm in there.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
I wonder if the rules could be amended if the batteries were inside a protective plastic casing, seeing as how they allow them in a device? The packs are most prone to damage without having any protective casing.
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Last edited by Cody f86saber; Dec 07, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,073 Posts
I recall 5 or so years ago a WHOLE pallet of Lithums caught fire at a plane loading. This is probably the end result of that problem.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
I recall 5 or so years ago a WHOLE pallet of Lithums caught fire at a plane loading. This is probably the end result of that problem.
AFAIK they were primary cells (non-rechargeable). So not LiIon or LiPo, could be a different incident though.
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:51 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,073 Posts
To safety people. Lithium is a dangerous substance in any battery.

Done
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody f86saber View Post
I wonder if the rules could be amended if the batteries were inside a protective plastic casing, seeing as how they allow them in a device? The packs are most prone to damage without having any protective casing.
Too hard to define and enforce such a thing so doubt that would ever happen.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
Is it true that LiPo batteries don’t really have lithium in them but only harmless compounds and that’s the reason that they are not hazardous material when you dispose of them?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, KY, Owenton
Joined Jul 2010
223 Posts
All the rc sellers would be in prison if shipping companies checked things.
Battlepack is offline Find More Posts by Battlepack