530 Posts
Mini-Review
FOX ST-Model /Kyosho /Hype /Ripmax 1.8m /71" EPO PnP/RTF BL/ Glider

Specs:

Wingspan: 1800mm (70.9in)
Length: 880mm (34.65in)
Weight: 685g (24.12ozs)
Servos: 4 x 9g (Included)
Electric Motor: Brushless outrunner (Included)
S/C Rec: Brushless 18A (Included)
LiPo: Intellect 3 cell 1100mAh 20C required

Wing Loading: 29.7g/dm2
Wing Area: 23dm2

10x6" Folding prop
BL motor: 3 cell Li-Po 900kv 10A/ 15A burst 3mm threaded shaft
ESC: 18A

Variants: (not necessarily available in all markets/ brands)

Glider (with release machanism, but no servo)
BL PnP (ready for radio)
BL RTF FM (looks like it's discontinued by Hype)
BL RTF 2.4 GHz

Manual:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/snn/snna1051-manual.pdf (English)

http://www.hype-rc.de/shop_image/att...9125ea5731.pdf (Hype version, English, German, and Italian)

Availability

Note, this plane is known as:

The "ST-Model Fox" in North America.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXYYS3

The Ripmax/ ST-Model Fox in the UK and Sweden.
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=29283

The Hype/ Kyosho Fox in most of Continental Europe.
http://www.hobbydirekt.de/Neuheiten-...0::156457.html

Videos:

ST Models FOX (3 min 49 sec)
(essential)

Hype Fox trim flight (2 min 43 sec)

Professional reviews:

http://www.hype-rc.de/shop_image/att...a3523c1774.pdf

http://www.hype-rc.de/shop_image/att...7e3a99c633.pdf

http://www.hype-rc.de/shop_image/att...fa20e14ffb.pdf

If you don't speak German, you can make translate.google.com do the work with the following trick: open the PDF file, save it to your computer, upload the file to http://viewer.zoho.com/ , click 'view' and copy/past the URL to http://translate.google.com Voilá, the PDF is translated to the language of your choice while keeping the original layout!

User reviews
(This is my own 'first impressions' from another thread)

Well, my impressions/ experiences so far. I cannot tell how 'good' it is, since I cannot compare to anything else, hence I'll concentrate on the negative aspects, it's more like nitpicking, so don't jump to conclusions based on the negatives

- Extremely portable. This is actually very important for me, some planes in this class have glued tail surfaces, hence a pain in the b*** to transport them. This is why I ditched the Easy Glider and started looking for the Graupner Junior S, but decided to go for a plane with better acrobatic capabilities. The Fox comes in a 103x21x16cm (both RTF/ARTF) box which is perfectly portable, even in smallish European hatchbacks. The horizontal stabilizer is fixed with one screw/nut in less than 20 sec, and the piano wire has to be tightened at the servo (in the canopy). This should be a snap-on system of some kind, even though making some marks on the wire makes the trimming easy enough. Secondly, they could have added few extra, or better pieces of foam to transport the wings safely instead of loads of bubble wrap. This would have given this plane a truly Unique Selling Point in the market.

The hatch closes with a fairly weak snap-system, not reassuring at all, or at least if the puny rubber bands which are supposed to hold the battery snap, the battery will fall out in inverted flight and result in a crash - as demonstrated by a guy on YT This isn't a big issue, just add some velcro and the potential problem is sorted.

The plane can be flown with different sized batteries, but I mixed up some figures with the Windrider Fox, hence used a substantially larger battery (2.2Ah instead of 1.3Ah) which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but since my battery was heavier I pulled it farther aft, which probably closed the ventilation channel. The result, On its second flight, 5-6min into the session, I had a semi hard crash, I wasn't sure why, I sort of lost control, after all I am a noob and it was slightly windy with some turbulence, but noticed the ESC was very hot (too hot to touch). I removed the heat shrink tubing and the plastic something between the board and the cooling plate, and applied a fair amount of silicone thermal paste. I'll salvage a ribbed aluminium cooling plate from a mother board og GPU in the future, but I definitely recommend everybody to watch out for the ESC. Secondly, I added a UBEC, actually it's a small 10A ESC with BEC, but now the power supply to the Spektrum AR7000 has redundancy. After its 3rd flight, I checked the temperature, and the ESC was still VERY hot (longer flight), so I believe the crash was due to power shortage (Spektrums are prone to fail (reboot) even due to minimal voltage drops).

The third issue is the fixture of the carbon rod in the wing, two screws are used to 'clamp' the rod at both ends in the wings. The screws are fairly small, hence afraid of stripping them, I might haven't tightened them enough, since after the 3rd flight I could see the wings were starting to separate... I've ordered some rare earth magnets and hope these will solve the (potential) problem, otherwise I'll probably drill a hole through the wing and carbon rod, and use a small nail and magnet to fix the rod.

There certainly is some flex in the wing, but it doesn't seem to be an issue AFAICT. If you are planning on 50mph slope soaring, then you'll have to add some carbon, but otherwise it looks adequate. The only carbon I'm going to add will be on the underside of the wing tips (for concrete/ asphalt landings).

Generally, it's a very nice plane, good looking, the foam is fairly smooth, not as many injection point as the Windrider, but if you are interested in looks, better sand the injection point down and give it a full coat of foam safe grounder. The folding prop is a bit flimsy, yet it survived the crash, which cracked the firewall plywood. I had to glue in a another one, but I'm very happy that the crash didn't cost me a penny. I cannot comment on the performance, the pilot (me ) is the bottleneck in my case. Btw. the best thing about it is the sound! I let it climb for a few minutes, and then let it go into a dive, over my head, that SOUND! YAY!

I tried to test the roll rate, but that manoeuvre didn't turn out very well I was saved by the altitude, so I'll wait a few packs before I try that again.

All in all, I'm VERY pleased with this plane, a plug n play plane for less than €100 delivered is a steal (in the EU at least).

Feel free to ask.

Update:

I'm sure that some of you are reading this to decide between the Windrider and this version of the Fox. I don't have any definite answer, but the main difference in my mind is that the ST version is truly a RTF plane. For €150 you even get a decent 2.4GHz radio with dual rates. Secondly, it's very elegant and sleek with no visible servo horns, and a nice canopy, this plane really looks great in the sky even without paint. Performance wise, I'm sure you would be able to mod/ and build one of the Windriders to a higher performance standard, especially for slope soaring, there's tons of good info in this thread for the Windrider http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...rider+fox+cool where the very nice chap Ming - the designer - is there to nurse his clients - most manufacturers could (or should) learn from Ming.
My next project will (probably) be a Multiplex Funcub with ample power for towing, then I'll get one of Ming's Foxes, then I'll be able to pass the final judgement in this matter

Essential Mods/ checks
Feel free to disagree and comment!

The BEC of the ESC is sensitive to heat/ insufficient cooling.
  1. Make sure the airflow can exit towards the main wheel in the cockpit.
  1. Remove the shrink tube from the cooling plate/ add more silicone thermal glue between the board and the plate (I use this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4579) or preferable add small aluminium ribbed heat plate

Make SURE the carbon rod screws are fastened enough...

The battery needs some velcro or tape to prevent it from moving back and forth, or even falling out in inverted flight.

Disclamer:

You may rightly ask yourself, why start another thread about this plane? The reason is primarily all the different guises it comes in. Different markets, different distributors, different marketers => lots of confusion, hence it's vital that the title of the thread contains all the key words. Secondly, I own the plane and will try to keep this thread/ initial post updated, so if you have any suggestions/ links/ reviews/ relevant info, don't hesitate to post in the thread or PM me. Hopefully, the info about this plane won't be scattered in the Windrider threads/ revived dead threads, etc.
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 01:35 AM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
I bought a Fox ST from Tower Hobbies. Promptly nosed it into the ground and smashed the prop/spinner, which threads onto the motor shaft. So, I ordered a couple of new ones from Tower. However, they don't stock an exact replacement, but something similar. The new ones didn't thread onto the shaft, and the prop was smaller than the original. I had to jury rig the assembly, and don't know yet if my innovation will work. The point of all this is that I can't actually find any parts for the Fox, and wonder if someone knows where those might be located, in the U.S.

Also, the Fox doesn't seem all that easy to fly, but then nothing seems that easy to fly to me.
zukemeister is offline Find More Posts by zukemeister
Old May 28, 2010, 01:48 AM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
Parts for Fox?

Whoops! Accidentally posted a second time here. I guess posting is no easier than flying.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:09 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukemeister View Post
I bought a Fox ST from Tower Hobbies. Promptly nosed it into the ground and smashed the prop/spinner, which threads onto the motor shaft. So, I ordered a couple of new ones from Tower. However, they don't stock an exact replacement, but something similar. The new ones didn't thread onto the shaft, and the prop was smaller than the original. I had to jury rig the assembly, and don't know yet if my innovation will work. The point of all this is that I can't actually find any parts for the Fox, and wonder if someone knows where those might be located, in the U.S.

Also, the Fox doesn't seem all that easy to fly, but then nothing seems that easy to fly to me.
The Ripmax SKU is E-STM06I

A quick search yields quite a few European suppliers, but it's quite unusual for Americans to order stuff from Europe (primarily due to VAT) so the shipping fees are quite steep:

http://www.podiumrc.co.uk/product-722401.php

Alternatively, you could pick up a folding prop spinner at Hobbyking, but most of their spinners need blades with 8mm shaft, which isn't bad since Graupner and others supply those.

I'm a noob basically, and find it quite easy to fly. Not, it's not a thermal glider with winglets, so you have to work the ailerons a bit. I've had it ca. 40-50min, so yesterday I was practising rolls, immelmans, and inverted Until I had a semirough landing, my bad, wanted to show off
Old May 28, 2010, 05:34 AM
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
I received my Fox ST glider on may 26 from tower hobbies. I have not flown her yet but the gliders looks great and well made. I also have a multiplex easy glider brushed version. from the looks off the two gliders comparing one to the other the FOX glider has an edge, in my opinion. (only in looks) but what really matters is how it flies I will know this weekend when I maiden her. searching the internet and not finding any parts is a big concern. I always try and make sure I can buy spare parts for all the planes I purchase. I was hoping tower Hobbies would soon supply parts since they now sell the plane. I will contact them soon and and ask them this question, How do I get spare parts?
wileyrc is offline Find More Posts by wileyrc
Old May 28, 2010, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
[QUOTE=McMoron;

I'm a noob basically, and find it quite easy to fly. Not, it's not a thermal glider with winglets, so you have to work the ailerons a bit. I've had it ca. 40-50min, so yesterday I was practising rolls, immelmans, and inverted Until I had a semirough landing, my bad, wanted to show off [/QUOTE]

I usually fly in fairly stiff coastal winds; maybe that doesn't work well with the ST. I'm off this morning to try it in the calm morning air at a sports field; I'll report on that.

I sent a chiding note to Tower Hobbies. They responded that they are "... working with our product people to bring these specialized props into our inventory..." Not good enough for me. Airplanes break--frequently in my case, and parts are needed.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:30 AM
Maine, USA
Joined Nov 2005
891 Posts
My ST Model Fox came Thursday. It's beautiful. Nice finish on the foam, nice graphics... single front wheel and rear wheel, lots of room under the canopy... and smooth everywhere. The only control horn you can see it for the elevator, and you have to look inside the rear to see it. There are no exposed horns on the rudder or ailerons, either, and you can't see the pushrods. Throughout, the pushrods, horns and hinges are pretty much invisible. I was a little disappointed that there was no decal dashboard in the canopy.

After my 1st flight with the Fox I thought it was OK, but nothing special. Now, after 4 flights, I can't wait to get it in the air again. The manual says the CG is critical and gives a ± 2mm (5/32") variance. It also says that keeping it toward the nose will make the Fox more docile and toward the tail makes it react quicker. Well, it is that critical, but with it toward the tail I don't think it flew well at all. It didn't feel more aggressive, just bad. Keep it balanced, or slightly ahead.
I made a balance stand out of a piece of wood and 2 new pencils, then I marked the balance points for 2 different batteries and put some hook and loop fasteners (Velcro) to hold them in place.

With the balance points right, the Fox is a real joy to fly. Gliding is a breeze with the Fox. It'll do aerobatics without power when you keep the speed up, fly fast or slow, and it seems to glide forever.
This video was cut from a 20 minute flight that brought the battery from 12.6v to 11.55v.

ST Model FOX (5 min 46 sec)

I have the ASW-28 on the way, and I have the DG-1000, too, but it's out of service right now as parts can't be found. I liked it OK, but I prefer the Fox. It would be nice to have an ST Model thread.
GTX_SlotCar is offline Find More Posts by GTX_SlotCar
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Maidened mine, today: it is CG sensitive. Nice.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:00 PM
Maine, USA
Joined Nov 2005
891 Posts
I hope you like it. I'm really enjoying mine. I do wish Tower Hobbies would start selling parts, though.

I flew it in some very stiff wind the other day...

Fox Glider on a Windy Day (3 min 40 sec)
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Nice-yes, I like mine, so far.

I went to summer camp in Harrison, Me years ago.

Is that nearby?

That last landing of yours scared my donkey.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:51 PM
Maine, USA
Joined Nov 2005
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
....I went to summer camp in Harrison, Me years ago.
Is that nearby?.....
I don't know. Where are you now?

Just kidding. Harrison is about 25 miles north of me. Shortest distance is by boat.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
8 Posts
Banana Hobbies has the Fox with 2.4 radio, Lipo, and charger, ready to fly for $159. I found out after I ordered mine from Tower.
JDP 1 is offline Find More Posts by JDP 1
Old Jun 04, 2010, 08:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Did a quick thrust/ Amp test today. An electric 'fishing scale' or 'hook scale' in the ceiling, the Fox hanging in the rear gear. With a Turnigy 3S 2.2Ah 20/30 C battery, the Fox pulled 745g (measured after 10 sec burst) @ 14A /160W. The nose of the plane has been in the ground unfortunately so with a better balanced spinner/prop I suppose it could do better, but more than 1:1 in power/weight ratio doesn't sound bad in my ears for this kind of plane
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:04 AM
Greece
Joined Nov 2009
37 Posts
Hello...

I have hype fox and i have 2 questions.

1) Where is the true C.G. because via manual at page 7 i have confused.

2) I want to suggest me a better power motor and folding propeller.

3) Also from here which is the best motor for fox or i will try to find something else

Thanks in advance.
asterixx25 is offline Find More Posts by asterixx25
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Mine flies fine "as is."

The CG is 2mm "behind" a line inscribed on the wing bottom.