HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2001, 01:51 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
First aileron plane, any advice on setup?

I just finished scratch building my first aileron plane. To date I have quite a bit of stick time on several rudder elevator planes.
Does anyone have advice on setup of the ailertons? How much throw and such? my radio has an adjustable throw setup on it, so adjustment is not a problem.

I'm trying to move up to more acrobatics, including rolls. When you perform a roll do you have to stop the plane at the exact right side up spot, or will the plane self level if you don't quite bring it all the way around. The plane is a high winged model based very loosly on the looks of the Hawk and the shoofly. It is powered by a 4:1 geared 280 and features a carbon fiber re enforced foam wing. Total weight is around 11 ozs. I'll start with the regular speed 280 and move to a 280bb after I get used to it.
Thanks for your help and suggestions--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2001, 04:32 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Rob,
Aileron throw will depend on a couple things. First of all the size of your ailerons. If they are wide you will need less throw to roll, if they are skinny you'll need a bit more. A more detailed description of your wing and aileron sizes would narrow it down a bit more. Second, the speed at which your airplane flies will also have a determining factor on aileron throw. What I like to do is make an educated guess as to how much I think I might need, and set up a high and low rate to be used with dual rates. The first flight I go with the higher rates and if it is too touchy, I'll have a co-pilot switch them to lower rates so I can keep my thumb on the stick. Also, differential in the ailerons (more up than down throw) will keep adverse yaw problems to a minimum. On slower planes I believe this becomes more crucial. You can play with the differential amounts after a few test flights but a good start would be around 100% up to 75% down.
--"When you perform a roll do you have to stop the plane at the exact right side up spot, or will the plane self level if you don't quite bring it all the way around."--
-Yes
-No (not really).
You will want to end the roll at a relatively level position. If you are off a little it won't hurt you too bad. I would say that having extra altitude between your plane and Mother Earth is most important till you get comfortable. If you get mixed up while upside down (which does happen a lot), you can pull out of it without too many problems. When learning to roll I tell students to do a shallow dive to build up some speed, pull up into a shallow climb (10-15 degrees) and crank the ailerons to one side. Keep 'em cranked until your wings are level again, then release the control. Aileron planes with less dihedral will usually stop as soon as you let off the controls. A little bump of down elevator when inverted helps maintain altitude but if you roll fast the shallow climb will keep you from losing too much altitude. Good luck
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2001, 09:50 AM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
What Troy said

As a first cut on aileron throw, make it about the same as your elevator on high rate and about half that on low rate. It really does depend on the aileron shape/size though.

As for differential, I'd start with little or none and add it in only if necessary. Keep in mind that differential reduces adverse yaw only when you're upright and actually makes it worse when you're inverted (as in, halfway through a loop or roll).

If you have a few degrees of dihedral the plane will tend to level itself when you center the ailerons at the end of the maneuver. The idea is to release the aileron just as you come level again, much as you release the elevator at the end of a loop when the plane comes level.

Good luck and HTH!
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old Apr 23, 2001, 05:27 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Funny story, my first aileron plane was a pylon racer. It was a 2 ch. IC model, so no throttle. There was a printing error on the plan, and I launched it for its maiden flight with a CG that was nearly 2" behind where it should have been! I fought that plane for an entire tankful of fuel, totally unstable. Managed to get it back on the ground undamaged, but I remember thinking "wow, these aileron models are difficult to fly" With the CG in the right place it flew like it was on rails.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Apr 30, 2001, 10:37 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,654 Posts
My T-52 with 1" ailerons and a flat wing has +/- 5/16" deflection. This amount of deflection gives good rolls and turns with the T-52.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy