HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2014, 07:01 AM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,159 Posts
Discussion
Trouble getting subtle control from a tx

Every tx I've ever owned seems to be capable of gross commands only, like telling servos to go all the way in one direction or the other. The speed commands are slightly better with my options being slow or fast. The controllers I'm using are cheap AM 2ch ones. Is this sort of thing par for the course with these or is it more widespread than just the low end of controllers?

Inb4 get a better system: I intend to get a spectrum.
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2014, 08:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,109 Posts
It could be something bad anywhere along the lines.

The Spektrum stuff has 1024 or 2048 discrete steps from one end to the other (depends on rx and tx). A servo's ability to resolve that is rarely that good unless you have a $200 servo. An ESC will typically have anywhere from 32 to 512 steps across the same range.

It could be crappy pots in the tx.

Another thing you can do is use the Expo function in your new radio. It will soften the center for you, so that at the center you'll have very precise travel and as you move away you will have less precise but more travel.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2014, 08:20 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,742 Posts
Hi spacephrawg,

Are we talking about stick TX or pistol grip?

The steering and throttle channels are proportional, but if you're a bit hamfisted, the respons is more like a video game controller...

On a stick transmitter, often the sticks can be elongated by screwing them up (or down) the threaded shaft (there's a grubscrew on/in the top of the handle).
A longer stick gives you more subtle control.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old May 14, 2014, 08:51 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,022 Posts
You can also use the trim switchs for fine control movements.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old May 14, 2014, 09:59 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,634 Posts
Used to be on mid-range and higher priced systems you would get a dual rate function. This feature was very prevalent on wheel radios and you wanted to dial out sensitivity for less capable drivers. I don't know how current systems are fitted.

Every AM & FM 75mhz radio I have owned the servo movement mimicked the stick/wheel movement. Half stick was half throw, fast stick was fast throw.

Super cheapo systems like in toys were little to no proportional control, especially in rudder function.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old May 14, 2014, 12:25 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,159 Posts
It could simply be that I am heavy on the controls now that I have read all of this. The stick controller I have came with my boat. The controller I normally use is a pistol grip. I take it stick is preferred for boats?
Old May 14, 2014, 12:57 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,909 Posts
I remember some old toy rc units were really on/off logic, not proportional. I am thinking of an old tank toy. Maybe the current gen twin motor boats are like that. Since the boat is kinda simple, there is no need for any resolution to speak of.
Can you hook up a couple of servos and see how they behave on the bench? If they are clumsy, loose the system. It's not worth the hassle. Hobbyzone 2.4 G, DSM2, 4 channel tx and orange rx will set you back about $25 on eBay. Hobby King sets maybe even less. Spektrum is great, Flysky is too. So many to choose from, why bother with old junk?

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 14, 2014, 03:27 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,634 Posts
For the most part stick radios are favored for scale boats. Sticks are even sometimes used in bigger boats.
Old May 14, 2014, 05:31 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,159 Posts
I am sold. Stick it shall be. Spectrum sends an encoded transmission to the ex right? What does fly sky do?
Old May 14, 2014, 05:45 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,109 Posts
We are just about to start shipping the new DX6. This is a stick radio that blows away every other 6-channel, plus it will talk to you with a sexy British voice.

It's geared toward aircraft but then so is pretty much any stick radio. If you're interested in it, over on the Radios forum we have some pretty active threads going. I usually answer questions there several times a day, but I subbed to this one so I can answer any you have here more quickly.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2014, 06:56 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,159 Posts
Thanks. This is for a boat not a plane tho.
Old May 14, 2014, 07:31 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,109 Posts
There never were a lot of stick radios made for boats. Just a few. And where are they now - mostly on ebay or in the hands of devout users. The boat market is tiny. We take what we can get!

There's nothing wrong with using the DX6 in a boat. The frequency is legal, the radio supports both aircraft and marine receivers, and there's enough mixes and functions that you can do some pretty cool stuff if you choose.

One of the superb features is that you can attach any input (switch or stick) to an output. The switches aren't hard-fastened to any functionality, so you can make them do what you want. And we're working on making that even better. I can't say how, but we are.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 15, 2014, 05:57 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
,plus it will talk to you with a sexy British voice

Andy
The last thing I would need after my portable nav tried to send me up an off ramp in Utah last year. Why don't they make a simple radio anymore? Forward, backward, left, right is all I need. If I want to watch HBO or talk to the ISS there are better devices for that.
Old May 15, 2014, 06:06 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,827 Posts
On stick vs wheel - I recall seeing a vid a while back featuring a "concept" Mercedes. No steering wheel, but it did have a joystick.
Virtually all of my TXs have been cheap 27MHz 2 channel types, the only problems I have run across are age and misuse related, battery contacts going wonky, bits of aerial wearing out, stuff like that. Fine control has never been a problem.
There are some ESCs that have poor low speed response in that they dont start until about 25% power, but servos in proper working order have always closely mimicked the stick action.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old May 15, 2014, 08:00 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
The last thing I would need after my portable nav tried to send me up an off ramp in Utah last year. Why don't they make a simple radio anymore? Forward, backward, left, right is all I need. If I want to watch HBO or talk to the ISS there are better devices for that.
We make 3 of them. DX4e, DX5e, DX6i.

Andy
Site Sponsor