Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Oct 2013
118 Posts
Build Log
Allegro Lite Electric+std fuselage

I am planning to build an electric Allegro Lite or Bubble Dancer during the coming year.
We will get a baby in February, and in Norway we get a 14 week (minimum ) paternety leave, so I am thinking that in between diaper changes I could build a plane.

At the moment I am flying a small helicopter (Blade MCPX) with a Spetrum dx6i TX that I plan to use for the BD as well. In addition to the heli, I have been flying a Gentle Lady and a Blue Phoenix 10-15 years ago. I really enjoyed the glider, but would like to have an additional electric fuselage to be able to fly more in the spur of the moment without a high-start and stuff.

I am working as a mechanic overhauling fighter jet-engines, plus I really enjoy woodworking, so I am quite confident I can manage the actual build.
I am planning on buying a short-kit plus the carbon-parts and just getting the balsa at LHS.

In the electronics department I am planning to use the OrangeRX 7ch RX with failsafe plus a sattelite receiver in the wing, so that I can use it with both fuses.
Does 4kg/cm torque servos sound ok?
Any ideas on the Prop/motor/ESC/battery combination? I am planning to do it cheap and lightweight.

Just now I am printing out the tailfeathers to start building Them ASAP.

Anders Gj
andersgj is offline Find More Posts by andersgj
Last edited by andersgj; Apr 14, 2014 at 12:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Oct 2013
118 Posts
Another option would be to buid Allegro light.
Is there a BIG difference in performance on these two planes?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Do a search for posts on AVA e gliders. The B.D. is its predecessor.
LAR43 is offline Find More Posts by LAR43
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:20 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersgj View Post
Does 4kg/cm torque servos sound ok?
Any ideas on the Prop/motor/ESC/battery combination? I am planning to do it cheap and lightweight.

Just now I am printing out the tailfeathers to start building Them ASAP.

Anders Gj
4kg/cm servos are way over kill for a BD. You can use much smaller servos and save some weight. Im useing some 14 gram micro digitals in mine. I forget exact specs but they are in the 1.5 to 1.8kg/cm range.

You also dont need a ton of power. Im using a hacker A20-22L (28mm diameter at about 55 grams) with a Castle Phoenix 25 and ThunderPower 850 mahr 65C packs. Im pulling about 210-220 watts peak on the ground with an 11x6. Thats right at 85 watts per pound of model.

Depending on your final build weight, you may need a little more power than that - IF your going to fly contests.

I ended up at 42 ounces all up on mine and that setup just about gets me to ALES launch height in 30 seconds. About 620 feet or so.

Thats more than enough power for sport flying. I can get 3 or 4 launches out of that pack easily with reserve for some thermal flying.

Just the other day i did 2 launches to around 500 ft and caught good lift on the second one and flew a 1 hour 52 minute thermal flight and the pack still came down with about 20% left in the pack.

So you dont need huge (heavy) packs or huge (heavy) motors or huge (heavy) esc's. Keep the weight down and you will be much happier.

Also, pay close attention to the weights on the balsa you use. I got lazy and didnt spend the time to select really light stuff for the sheeting and my wing came out heavier than it needed to by probably 3 or 4 ounces.

A light weight Bubble dancer will really reward the work you put into it. Its an awesome flying machine
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Last edited by MrE; Oct 20, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 07:44 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,957 Posts
By the way Anders, please do a build thread with lots of pictures There havent been that many build threads and none recently that I know of for this model. Id bet you get lots and lots of interest
Old Oct 20, 2013, 08:54 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
By the way Anders, please do a build thread with lots of pictures There havent been that many build threads and none recently that I know of for this model. Id bet you get lots and lots of interest
You bet.
FabFlight is offline Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:23 AM
Joined Oct 2013
118 Posts
After looking at how much space i really have in my appartment, i am thinking the Allegro Lite elrctric might be more suitable for me. It would be easier to bring it along when traveling too.
It is almost too bad, cause I really wanted a bigger model. But I don't really think i have the space to build a 3 meter

Any thoughts on the allegro lite?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:00 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,220 Posts
Maybe some between, to enlarge the circle of confusion

Allegro Vivace, an elliptical wing 100"/2.5m version of Allegro, check the thread with this name.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:45 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
445 Posts
Puleeeze stay with the Bubble Dancer!

I plan to start one after I finish my current kit build (Windfree) and I would be very, very interested in following your build log (and the power recommendations of modelers with experience of this model).
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,957 Posts
The BD wing is built in small sections. I have a small work space as well and it really wasn't any problem. I don't carry mine in/out of the house assembled, I do it in sections to the truck, then assemble at the field.

The allegro wing is built the same way, just slightly shorter sections

The larger BD will fly better and thermal better and you will be able to see it much better. Size does matter in sailplanes - a lot
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined Oct 2013
118 Posts
Now I have been thinking about it and decided to go with the 2 meter allegro lite.
We live in the fourth floor of an appartment building in a city, so it just seems a lot more convenient to have a smaller plane.
Another reason is that I will get away with less carbon, cheaper short kit and cheaper motor-system.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:40 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
1,957 Posts
Good luck with it - and still do a build thread!

I dont recall off hand ever seeing an E-Alegro Lite, but Im sure there have been some
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:37 AM
Joined May 2012
269 Posts
Thinking about building a E-Alegro this winter, just finished of my adaptation of the Terminator for e-power instead of hand launch. Should have the first flight this weekend if weather permits.
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:45 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post

I dont recall off hand ever seeing an E-Alegro Lite, but Im sure there have been some
There are, this is the one I like best (not mine unfortunately...) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=17

WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:10 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,681 Posts
Thanks for posting. That's my ship. I built it in 2006 originally as a non-powered plane, but after destroying the original fuselage it went through a couple of E-powered fuselages until a very generous RCG member sent me this one from an Omega 1.8. It needed some repairs, but has worked out perfectly.
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics