Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geives1 View Post
Yup, that is my vid
The brief pause you mentioned is a typical effect of dropped frames, but this camera does not normally do that. The rest of your video looked smooth, so must have been something that affected the recording briefly. Could be an issue with the flash memory card. I'd suggest reformatting it using the SDformatter utility, then running an integrity check with the h2testw utility.

If you had posted your video on vimeo.com instead of YouTube I could download your original and look at that section of the clip for a better determination of dropped frames. I assume it shows up on your original as well as on the re-encoded YouTube clip.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Please don't be discouraged by the non-techies .
I, for one, find your tests just as interesting as the flight videos and thank you for sharing. For me, they are not boring at all! - Actually they are quite exciting!

I would do the capacitor swap without hesitation, but since I don't want any sound on my videos there's not much point! Also, I would first have to buy a "book" (set) of SMD capacitors to play with.

I also love you supply voltage test!

Your tests help us understand the #11 much better and maybe even inspire the manufacturer.

OK, I guess we're in the minority here... ... but should you make any other amazing #11 tests, please do post the results.
agreed the more tests the merrier it all adds interest.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Yup, that is my vid
This one is not 720p...
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:47 PM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
This one is not 720p...
But judged by the orange time/date in the lower right corner, it IS an #11 video. My guess: edited and saved at a lower resolution.

Looks like it was edited with Windows Movie Maker. Use these settings: Resolution should be 1280*720, 30fps, 16:9 ratio. In my case the settings are good when you select something which says something like 'recommended for this project', at the top of the list (followed by HD 1080, computer, burn DVD etc.)
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:01 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Try this procedure (leave the cable attached between the camera and the PC) :

Briefly press the rear button to switch the camera on as normal.

Usually, the yellow LED blinks twice before it enters standby or file transfer mode (as when connected to a PC).

As soon as the LED comes on for the first time, press & hold the front button down for 4 seconds - longer is OK.

Good luck all, Richard
Well, it worked once. Then the next two times I plugged the camera in, it worked without any special button pressing. But this morning, it's back to its old self and not even the button press between flashes will bring it up. Sadly, I give up and am sending it back.

The vendor, hxelepro360, has been very helpful and solicitous.
mclarkson is online now Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:08 PM
United States, IL, Hinckley
Joined Jan 2011
175 Posts
Yup, I used Windows movie Maker & yes I saved at a lower resolution when I edited. Just quicker to upload to YouTube that way. But that same little blip happened in the original before I edited it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
But judged by the orange time/date in the lower right corner, it IS an #11 video. My guess: edited and saved at a lower resolution.

Looks like it was edited with Windows Movie Maker. Use these settings: Resolution should be 1280*720, 30fps, 16:9 ratio. In my case the settings are good when you select something which says something like 'recommended for this project', at the top of the list (followed by HD 1080, computer, burn DVD etc.)
geives1 is offline Find More Posts by geives1
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,138 Posts
Quote:
Yup, I used Windows movie Maker & yes I saved at a lower resolution when I edited. Just quicker to upload to YouTube that way. But that same little blip happened in the original before I edited it.
The smaller frame size and/or lower resolution might save you some time, but it defeats the purpose, doesn't it? We'd like to see your vids in all their HD radiant glory and detail. I just start an upload, then go grab a cold one and come back a bit later...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:08 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
can you guys critique this video. It seems to have lost some quality. I will double check the WLMM settings, but I think I saved it as 1280x720.

It also has a section of the pic that is out of focuse, like the whole upper left quadrant, is there any way to fix this? The center and near right seems ok. For flying, I will most likely adjust focus closer to infinity than it is now.

The 2nd #11 does not have these issues. Sorry its not flight, but I guess its ok to break the trend every once in a while.

Mid-Ohio June 2011. Sat Qualify HD sample 808 #11 keycam (4 min 38 sec)

Pat

edit, p.s. based on retracing my click, I think I might have selected the 1080p save selection.... would that explain what looks like a loss of quality on the vimeo post??

But vimeo says its a WMM file that is 1280x720>? so I have no idea. It's definately not as good as original on my screen.

Thanks for comments.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Jun 14, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
can you guys critique this video. It seems to have lost some quality. I will double check the WLMM settings, but I think I saved it as 1280x720.

It also has a section of the pic that is out of focuse, like the whole upper left quadrant, is there any way to fix this? The center and near right seems ok. For flying, I will most likely adjust focus closer to infinity than it is now.

The 2nd #11 does not have these issues. Sorry its not flight, but I guess its ok to break the trend every once in a while.

Pat

edit, p.s. based on retracing my click, I think I might have selected the 1080p save selection.... would that explain what looks like a loss of quality on the vimeo post??

Thanks for comments.
Awesome open-wheel racing Pat, love it, nice clips.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:36 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks. I work on them and help the team, but I don't drive.

Looking through the vimeo link, it's difficult to see the lens anomolies. Why is the date so fuzzy. Its very clear on the original.

P
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:14 PM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
780 Posts
I'm the guy who drove number 25 car and i wonder why your driver not allow me to pass him?
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I'm the guy who drove number 25 car and i wonder why your driver not allow me to pass him?
They are both my drivers, they are brothers actually.! which explains the over-aggressive bump(slam) drafting!

Wow meez, you traveled from malaysia to ohio for a race last weekend?? Thats an expensive plaque and handshake!

It was qualifying, excessive passing only slows you down.!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,138 Posts
Meanwhile.... back on topic...

Wheelspinner, thanks for uploading your clip to Vimeo where your original upload can be downloaded. I retrieved your original from Vimeo, and it is a 1280x720 frame size video. BUT, if you look more closely, your image does not fill the whole frame like it should. Both the image and the frame are 16:9 aspect ratio, but the image is smaller than the frame. I think that is one reason for the lower image quality you see. Keep in mind that your upload to any of the free hosting site is not displayed in the same form as received. The site re-encodes your file into Adobe Flash Player format, and also lowers the bit rate at the same time to save some file space and make playback easier. The net result is your video gets downgraded... there is nothing you can do about that... they all do it.

But that aside, how did your upload get into the strange reduced image condition? Here's what (I think) you did. Open WLMM and toggle to the Project menu. You should see something like the first pic below. Note that the aspect ratio is set for "Standard (4:3)", which is the wrong frame shape for your HD video. It needs to be set to "Widescreen (16:9). When you use the wrong frame aspect ratio, your video is forced to have black bars above and below the image to make it into 4:3 aspect ratio shape as shown in the picture.

Then when you select one of the 1280x720 frame size options for outputting your final video, WLMM fits the 4:3 aspect ratio frame into the 16:9 1280x720 frame size as best it can, which matches the vertical height before it reaches the full width. So now your video also has black bars on the sides as well as on top and bottom. The net effect is that your original 1280x720 video image is now shrunk down with black border all around to fill up the final 1280x720 frame, as shown in the second pic below! And when that is re-encoded by the web site, you lose more detail.

I don't know if I explained it very well, but here's the bottom line. Make sure you have the "Widescreen (16:9)" set for the movie aspect ratio in the Project Menu as I first mentioned. Then your final movie will fill the full 1280x720 frame when it is saved. And since the #11 shoots at about a 7000 kbps minimum average bit rate, pick one of the movie options when you save it that has a similar bit rate. You can make a custom one like I did for the #11HD with 1280x720 frame size, 7000 kbps bit rate, and 30 fps frame rate. Then just use that each time with this camera and you'll get good results.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:21 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Has anyone tested one of these. It doesn't seem to comply with all the HD features but is it any good? I can't find any reviews.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DVR-U8-US...-/120705870124
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Closed Thread