Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:12 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
413 Posts
Discussion
Justice Brennan's footnote gave us anchor babies

BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Last edited by BE77 Pilot; Sep 22, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2010, 12:04 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,673 Posts
Madness!!!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Aug 05, 2010, 12:48 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Heinous. Which is Spanish for f'd up.

You gotta wonder how this country full primarily of illiterates in even their own language knows the exact ins and outs of US welfare to the extent they can manipulate and abuse it better than our own citizens can.

No hablo, eh Pablo? Gotta have yer toilet paper labeled 'papel hygienico' cuz you can't tell through the clear wrapper what it is otherwise. But you know details of US law I don't know, and my family has been here since before the country was even a country.

Umm-hmm.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Aug 05, 2010, 04:32 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
I wonder why the author of the 14th ammendment used that wording if that isn't what he meant. Pretty stupid of him.
Rufcut is offline Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Aug 05, 2010, 05:36 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcut View Post
I wonder why the author of the 14th ammendment used that wording if that isn't what he meant. Pretty stupid of him.
Perhaps he had a different understanding of what "jurisdiction" means? Or perhaps he never considered someone would ever consider an illegal alien a "resident"? The word reside means "to have one's permanent home in". I would think that makes it pretty darn clear personally. It is completely illogical to think that you could "reside" in a country you are not legally entitled to be in. Unfortunately, he did not have the ability to see into the future for how people might twist the meanings of those two words to suit their ideologies.
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Aug 05, 2010, 05:55 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
Perhaps he had a different understanding of what "jurisdiction" means? Or perhaps he never considered someone would ever consider an illegal alien a "resident"? The word reside means "to have one's permanent home in". I would think that makes it pretty darn clear personally. It is completely illogical to think that you could "reside" in a country you are not legally entitled to be in. Unfortunately, he did not have the ability to see into the future for how people might twist the meanings of those two words to suit their ideologies.
Coulter states,
Quote:
The very author of the citizenship clause, Sen. Jacob Howard of Michigan, expressly said: "This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers."
If that was the intended meaning, why not include that wording in the ammendment?
I don't see any word twisting going on. The meaning of the citizenship clause to the ammendment, as written, seems clear.
Rufcut is offline Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Aug 05, 2010, 06:09 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcut View Post
Coulter states,

If that was the intended meaning, why not include that wording in the ammendment?
I don't see any word twisting going on. The meaning of the citizenship clause to the ammendment, as written, seems clear.
You see the words "of course" in your quote? He felt the intent was obvious, as do I.
Old Aug 05, 2010, 06:52 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,446 Posts
Quote:
The drafters of the 14th Amendment had no intention of conferring citizenship on the children of aliens who happened to be born in the U.S. (For my younger readers, back in those days, people cleaned their own houses and raised their own kids.)
Really? All of them? Wonder what all the servants did for a living?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:06 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,542 Posts
I seem to remember that in cartoons, they were fairly plump and jumped on a chair, hoisting there skirts up, if a mouse appeared. They were probably not considered people at the time though.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:15 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
I seem to remember that in cartoons, they were fairly plump and jumped on a chair, hoisting there skirts up, if a mouse appeared. They were probably not considered people at the time though.
Evidently, nor are illegals born in Spain, eh Martin?
It's interesting that you find the time to comment in a thread about American anchor babies when you don't have to worry about that "little problem" in your country one bit.

Quote:
Ireland was the last of the 15 original EU countries to abolish birthright citizenship. They did not want to be seen as a back door to the European Union citizenship. No anchor babies plague Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Portugal, and the United Kingdom. The Irish got it right!
http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frosty494.htm
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:27 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,542 Posts
With a substantial South American and North African Immigrant population, there seems far less phobia about illegal immigrants in Spain than there does in the US.
However, http://www.euroresidentes.com/inmigr...d-espanola.htm (I would have translated, but I felt you'd be proficient in texas's first language ) But towards the bottom of the page it (point 3) does state more or less that children born on Spain of foreign parents do have the right of Spanish nationality from birth.
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:31 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
With a substantial South American and North African Immigrant population, there seems far less phobia about illegal immigrants in Spain than there does in the US.
However, http://www.euroresidentes.com/inmigr...d-espanola.htm (I would have translated, but I felt you'd be proficient in texas's first language ) But towards the bottom of the page it (point 3) does state more or less that children born on Spain of foreign parents do have the right of Spanish nationality from birth.
When 5% of your population are illegal immigrants, then you can start making that comparison.
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:49 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,542 Posts
The Conservative "Partido Popular" has estimated the figure at 1.2 million out of a total census population (which also includes illegal residents) of approx 45 million (just over 2.5%), but the reliability of such figures is also open to much dispute. However, being on the census role has many advantages and not so many of the disadvantages that it seems to have in the USA, possibly making the Spanish figures more reliable. Illegal immigration is also not a crime here, but rather an "Administative Infraction".
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:53 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Point 3, in English is:
Quote:
3. You were born in Spain to foreign parents and they have no nationality or where the legislation of the countries of your parents do not attach any nationality.
So, how often are those conditions met?
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:57 AM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
413 Posts
If the non English speaking (Hispanic) population is only 2.5% then why is half the information on boxes of everything I buy in Spanish?
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot