Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 16, 2010, 10:35 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Discussion
The New Compass 6HV

I finally afforded and built my first large heli after talking about it for over a year!

The new Compass 6HV is a 600/50-class heli designed to fly on 12S power!

Hope you enjoy the photos.

* Compass 540KV Motor W/10T or 11T Pinion
* Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 80HV ESC
* Castle Creations BEC Pro Voltage Regulator 20A (set at 6V for all electronics)
* Hyperion G3 VX 6S 2600mah 35C (X2) (power all electronics)
* Spartan Quark Gyro
* Spektrum RX & TX
* Hyperion HP-DS20xSMD Cyclic (Dubro Long & Strong servo arms)
* Hyperion HP-DS20GMD Tail
* ProTek (Pro 3D) 600mm Main Blades (600mm x 57mm, 129g)
* KBDD 84mm Tail Blades
* KBDD 50-60 Size Paddles
* Ready To Fly Weight is 7lbs-6ozs
RMG2 is offline Find More Posts by RMG2
Last edited by RMG2; May 23, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 08:09 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Sweet!!
Greybird is online now Find More Posts by Greybird
Old May 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2007
1,372 Posts
Very nice. How is that Hyperion tail servo treating you? I'm trying to eliminate a slow wag in strong winds with mine on a Logo 500 VBar.

Daniel
dswitkin is online now Find More Posts by dswitkin
Old May 17, 2010, 01:43 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Very nice. How is that Hyperion tail servo treating you? I'm trying to eliminate a slow wag in strong winds with mine on a Logo 500 VBar.

Daniel
Daniel, I just finished the build and have not even started the beginning tuning sessions. I'll have some opinion on that in a few weeks.

One thing I might offer is that I have the tail servo setup on 333hz instead of the 250hz setting. I was told by some other Hyperion users that the servo can handle the higher 333hz setting. So far in the intital gyro setup the servo is responding fine and not buzzing or displaying any odd behavior.

Sorry, I have no first hand experience with this servo yet.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
The pics are great. Now how about some video.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Old May 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
The pics are great. Now how about some video.
There are plenty of vids. posted already. This one is my current favorite.

jonas 6HV.wmv (5 min 7 sec)
Old May 18, 2010, 04:40 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
I meant of your flying of course.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Last edited by OICUFly12; May 18, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:57 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Have a couple days flying and tuning on the 6HV now and all I can say is, "POWER"! At 7.4lbs on 12S this thing has climb out like nothing I have ever seen before! Bog..., what bog!

Optical tach readings with the stock gearing (104T/10T) using flat throttle curves (no gov) at zero pitch are as follows.

* 100% - 2190rpm

* 85% - 1980rpm

Whole components package is working well together. Tail is working excellent after adjusting the ratio of gyro gain, mechanical gain and increasing the dead band to 4uS instead of the default 2uS
Last edited by RMG2; May 24, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 03:38 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,348 Posts
Awesome heli! I fly a Knight 600E. Recently I started running higher headspeeds. I was running 1850 to 1900. Now I donít go under 2000. And I have this tight kind of constant wag. Almost like a constant twitch. No gain value seems to help. Recently I went with all Hyperions on the cyclic. Programmed them so I donít need subtrim. AWESOME! Iíve had a Spartan 760 and a Hyperion tail servo on it for a while. Now that I am running faster headspeeds I canít get rid of this tight wag. Though it was the gov mode on the esc. Wasnít that. Iíve read the thread on Curtis AllMyRc site and have listened to James podcast on the Hyperion Solid G issue and deadband. Now Iím thinking I might be having this issue with my Spartan 760. But I never had this issue at lower headspeeds. Or maybe it just wasnít as bad and now it is more noticeable. I have a Spartan Quark and a 9650 with 9257 gears on a 450 PRO and the tail is perfect.

As it is right now my gain is about as high as it can go. I can hear some oscillations on fast big sideways loops. In a hover I get that short tight wag. If I lower my gain the wag gets worse and the heli will start to drift counter clockwise. Iíve programmed my cyclic servos to get a nice level swash with no subtrim. So is it as easy as programming the hyperion tail servo with 4uS? I guess it is worth a shot. I have the older version DS-20 GMD.

My tail linkages are very smooth. Tail grips have been inspected and oiled.
maarset is offline Find More Posts by maarset
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:23 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Awesome heli! I fly a Knight 600E. Recently I started running higher headspeeds. I was running 1850 to 1900. Now I donít go under 2000. And I have this tight kind of constant wag. Almost like a constant twitch. No gain value seems to help. Recently I went with all Hyperions on the cyclic. Programmed them so I donít need subtrim. AWESOME! Iíve had a Spartan 760 and a Hyperion tail servo on it for a while. Now that I am running faster headspeeds I canít get rid of this tight wag. Though it was the gov mode on the esc. Wasnít that. Iíve read the thread on Curtis AllMyRc site and have listened to James podcast on the Hyperion Solid G issue and deadband. Now Iím thinking I might be having this issue with my Spartan 760. But I never had this issue at lower headspeeds. Or maybe it just wasnít as bad and now it is more noticeable. I have a Spartan Quark and a 9650 with 9257 gears on a 450 PRO and the tail is perfect.

As it is right now my gain is about as high as it can go. I can hear some oscillations on fast big sideways loops. In a hover I get that short tight wag. If I lower my gain the wag gets worse and the heli will start to drift counter clockwise. Iíve programmed my cyclic servos to get a nice level swash with no subtrim. So is it as easy as programming the hyperion tail servo with 4uS? I guess it is worth a shot. I have the older version DS-20 GMD.

My tail linkages are very smooth. Tail grips have been inspected and oiled.
Yes, adjusting deadband is just as easy as any other programming feature. The adjustment is right there on the programming interface.

Try going 6uS deadband and see if that fixes your osscilation problem. I believe James (Sparx) is flying 6uS now. Make certain you setup mechanically first in Rate Mode with zero yaw. Make sure you have the proper blend of mechanical and gyro gain, not too much of either.

If these adjustments don't kill the osscilation then you are not gonna correct it and should probably go to a different servo.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:34 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,348 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The deadband adjustment didn't change anything. Tried a different servo. Still didn't help. For the heck of it I tried just the 1mm pad and PRESTO! tail is rock solid!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:42 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Thanks for the reply. The deadband adjustment didn't change anything. Tried a different servo. Still didn't help. For the heck of it I tried just the 1mm pad and PRESTO! tail is rock solid!
Thanks for sharing that. The more we learn about various issues the better the chance we can resolve them.

I didn't try changing the pad stack but went with what Spartan recommends. Perhaps the deadband change is just masking a vibration issue at the gyro with the pads and plate setup???
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:17 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,348 Posts
Maybe...

I never really had a issue with the tail untill I started running higher headspeeds.

I know with my 450 Pro if the blades are even slightly out of balance it causes my quark to drift counter clockwise at high headspeeds. Which tells me a vibration issue. I balance the blades and it is fine. I use a 3mm pad on the 450. But Finless Bob swears by the 1mm pad on the 450's with a quark.

With the 1mm pad on my Compass Knight 600E the spartan 760 seems like it is hard mounted on the boom block. I'm really surprised it worked. The spartan gyro's are uber sensitive. My guess is, with the thicker stack up I had, it caused the gyro to move alot and made the Knight hunt in a hover.

But the weird thing was, in idle 2 which is 100 85 100 Throttle curve the tail started to behave when I was having the issue.