Old Jul 26, 2016, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by dashunde
Usual suspect.
St. Louis MO
Joined Feb 2007
948 Posts
Discussion
High quality self righting 25-30" options?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a high quality alternative to the Aquacraft Recoil 26.. a all-purpose "beater", but no abs plastic.

Must be self-righting, quality aluminum hardware, water-cooled inrunner/esc, solid construction.. not known for mounts pulling out, cracking, etc.

I have a Leopard 4074-2150 that I'd like to use (3s/4s) if the right hull/hardware is found.

ARTR/RTR is not required, but I'd rather not buy it piece-by-piece either...

Ideas?
dashunde is offline Find More Posts by dashunde
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
3,753 Posts
I do not think what you are asking for, exists.
All the "self righting" boats I have seen, are for kids to play with, and beat up, so, they are ABS, and CHEEP!
Fiberglass is way more expensive, and makes for a much heavier hull. Every fiberglass boat that I have ever seen "flipped", has been there, till it was retrieved.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jul 27, 2016, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
6,499 Posts
Hi dashunde,

I agree with CaptCB; what you're looking for is either a typical hull build up with parts purchased seperately to fit the boat, which requires some homework and/or copying succesfull builds, or you order a hull from a reputable boat manufacturer in the state you want it (drive train installed, minus the motor, floodchamber installed, hardware bolted onto the transom, etc.).

Do you have a budget limit?

To keep the shipping reasonable, I'd look 'local' first before you check out manufacturers in Europe, like MHZ, Hydro& Marine, ToysPort, just to name a few.

Not knowing what kind of boat you're after, this Aeromarine Titan 29 is a nice base to build on:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=Aero-T29
Adding the floodchamber would be something to do yourself, I imagine.
As the Titan is rather flat, not designed with a floodchamber in mind, fitting one in may compromise the size and position of the heavy items, such as the motor end battery, so experimenting with those weights in the hull may be a good idea to establish if a floodchamber will result in a well behaving boat.

A hull with more freeboard is easier in this respect, like the Jetchopper30.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jul 27, 2016, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by royalcasa
United States, FL, Lake Mary
Joined Sep 2014
170 Posts
my self righting boat, second from the bottom (Kyosho)

top to bottom
stock blackjack 49.5 mph
Mod KOS 65mps
Mod Segad 55mph
Mod Kyosho 48mph
36 CF fightercat not finished
royalcasa is offline Find More Posts by royalcasa
Last edited by royalcasa; Jul 27, 2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by AirDOGGe
Just Plane Nutts
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2011
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashunde View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for a high quality alternative to the Aquacraft Recoil 26.. a all-purpose "beater", but no abs plastic.

Must be self-righting, quality aluminum hardware, water-cooled inrunner/esc, solid construction.. not known for mounts pulling out, cracking, etc.

I have a Leopard 4074-2150 that I'd like to use (3s/4s) if the right hull/hardware is found.

ARTR/RTR is not required, but I'd rather not buy it piece-by-piece either...

Ideas?
Not a lot to pick from in that catagory. The following are self-righting. Most, if not all have 4-layer fiberglass hulls (not sure of the Kyosho). A radio and ESC are required for the first one, but it already has a motor:
http://tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=912

These just needs the radio...4-layer 'glass hull for lots of strength:
http://tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=939
http://tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=938

This one most definitely should handle your motor.... 35.5" Kyosho EP Jetstream 888 VE:
http://www.rcplanet.com/kyosho-ep-je...FYqIfgodNxECSw
AirDOGGe is offline Find More Posts by AirDOGGe
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 27, 2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
6,499 Posts
Of those boats, the Asura would be my favourite:
DTRC H750 Asura 2 Mono RC Boat Self Righting (2 min 32 sec)

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by dashunde
Usual suspect.
St. Louis MO
Joined Feb 2007
948 Posts
Guys, because I'll mostly run this one on ponds, the calm-but-small area in front of our dock and out in the big waves alongside our boat/seadoo.. I think I'm switching gears a bit..

I'm now taking a hard look at the Toysport Onyx 23" with its submerged drive, tight turning ability and 45mph capability.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2311484
dashunde is offline Find More Posts by dashunde