New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2016, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by billrodgers
United Kingdom, Derbyshire
Joined Dec 2013
1 Posts
Help!
Graupner Cirrus

I have aquired an original Graupner Cirrus in Very good condition. It is Rudder Elevator only. I would like to add a electric setup eventually. I understand the elevator halves are just a push fit but i cannot see how the wings are held in place. The Piano wire rods are in place with the correct diheadral and the wings slip on nicely. The wing roots have a keyhole slot so i am assuming they are something to do with securing the wings. Hope one of you glider experts can help. thanks in advance. Bill
billrodgers is offline Find More Posts by billrodgers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2016, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
2,178 Posts
The Cirrus wing lock

Cheers
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Jun 08, 2016, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by craigrrr
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrodgers View Post
I have aquired an original Graupner Cirrus in Very good condition. It is Rudder Elevator only. I would like to add a electric setup eventually. I understand the elevator halves are just a push fit but i cannot see how the wings are held in place. The Piano wire rods are in place with the correct diheadral and the wings slip on nicely. The wing roots have a keyhole slot so i am assuming they are something to do with securing the wings. Hope one of you glider experts can help. thanks in advance. Bill
The plastic plugs attached to the rubber band through the fuse easily plug into each wing.

1. Slide the piano wire wing joiners about half way into the fuse.

2. Grab the plastic plug (far back at the rubber band) and push the plastic plug through the hole in the wing root; then slide the plug to the narrow slot (which is joined to the hole in wing root).

It works really well; a very clever design.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Jun 08, 2016, 03:08 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
The plastic plugs attached to the rubber band through the fuse easily plug into each wing.

1. Slide the piano wire wing joiners about half way into the fuse.

2. Grab the plastic plug (far back at the rubber band) and push the plastic plug through the hole in the wing root; then slide the plug to the narrow slot (which is joined to the hole in wing root).

It works really well; a very clever design.

Craig
On second thought when looking at your photo it appears that for some reason your wing root does not have a complete circular hole (slightly larger diameter than the diameter of the Plug) and attached to the existing slot.
If this is the case, I would suggest using a dremel bit to open up the slot into a circle (just larger than plug diameter) at the point that plug exits the fuse.

Craig
Old Jun 08, 2016, 03:21 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
On second thought when looking at your photo it appears that for some reason your wing root does not have a complete circular hole (slightly larger diameter than the diameter of the Plug) and attached to the existing slot.
If this is the case, I would suggest using a dremel bit to open up the slot into a circle (just larger than plug diameter) at the point that plug exits the fuse.

Craig
I am not very observant.

On third thought, it appears that the photo from SpeedsterDen is a picture of the fuselage side, not the wing end (root).
My Cirrus has the root of the WING with the Hole/Slot, but on the fuse there is only a simple slot. I am hoping yours is like mine and Graupner did not change the design.
So, look at the end of the WING and verify that there is a Hole/Slot.

Craig