Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:46 AM
Find More Posts by pugsam
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
4,309 Posts
Discussion
Help! Removing/Replacing the Night Vapor Gearbox

A question about removing a piece on the CF frame, from a guy without experience in working with these materials.

In a soft (!) nose-first landing (on a hard surface - outdoor bball court), my Night Vapor's gearbox broke, in between where the motor is mounted and where the gearbox attaches to the front of the main fuselage rod.

That left a little end-cap of the gearbox still attached to the fuselage rod. Even with pliers, I can't get it off. Does this call for the "shave it off with an Exacto" technique, or could there be a better way to get it off?

And the best way to fasten the new gearbox to the fuselage rod -- CA?

Also, I have yet tried to take the motor out of the broken gearbox, and putting it in a new gearbox. Any suggestions there?

Thanks in advance.
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
If you have any C/A "uncure" you might try wicking that into the mount and letting it sit a few minutes, then try to pull it off. If that doesn't work you may have to resort to the "shave it off" technique. When you put the new one on I would put it on first, then use a drop of medium C/A to hold it on the stick. That way if you have to replace it again you'll only need to break the bond externally and it'll slip right off.

Regarding the motor removal, if I remember right the motor is held in with a blob of white rubbery glue (not C/A). I think you can slice around the blob of glue and then slip the motor out.

It's probably a fluke that it broke, I haven't heard of the Vapor gearbox breaking before.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
To remove the the gearbox, cut the bottom off with an exacto, then run the exacto between the Shafts sides and remaining GB mount and then peel the GB off the top of the shaft.

UHU por or Beacons Fabri-tac from Walmart in craft section will hold the new GB on secure enough and allow it to pull off if you ever need to.

Twist the motor in the GB with needle nose pliers and it will break the bonds of the glue and allow it to slide out.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 03, 2016, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Elip
Joined Jul 2016
1 Posts
Thanks, UNGN. Your advise was great. Actually I had to peel off three sides with an exacto knife until it broke off but a new gearbox is now in place.
Elip is offline Find More Posts by Elip