Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:56 AM
6 planes 2 jets 2 helis
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2002
865 Posts
Discussion
Hard Motor desicion

I am looking to the VQ P-40 plane.

My personal choices for the motor are from a Saito 100 or the YS 110.

The YS is discontinued and the new 110S will be out late May but I'm looking at the ones out now.

I fly EDFs right now and DON'T own any glow engines except for My heli (os hyper50) and that motor is plug and play!

I know both the YS and the Saito are good but I am looking for EASY plug and play No hassles and Awe taking sound and preformance.

Is this a flip a coin decision? Can anyone sway My choice to either side?

Thank-You
Jonathan

P.S. besides looking nice does the Golden Knight option have any benefit?
Pacoson71 is offline Find More Posts by Pacoson71
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
594 Posts
YS engines are awsome for power. But, the rule of thumb is. "one in the plane, one as a backup and one being rebuilt". Not to mention the fuel cost. they like at least 20/20 fuel. I know what your thinking, I fly helis too. But I was using all my 30% to fly the YS.

The Saito 100 is a good engine. I would buy one of those before another YS engine for sure. I had a Saito 100 on a Hangar 9 Hellcat with good performance.

Also had a YS .91FZ in a Hangar 9 Corsair with outstanding performance. It would outrun Mustangs with other brand .91's and a couple 1.20's!
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:04 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Pacoson71

If it's plug and play you want it has to be Saito. I like the power of YS engines but the complexity puts me off for day to day sport flying. For a YS engine you will need a special high pressure tank, check valves, hose clamps and special 20% nitro fuel. If you are prepared for all this then YS is for you. If you don't need the last drop of power then Saito is much less trouble.

The GK series of Saito engines is said to run cooler because the black cylinder radiates heat better but they also claim that other features make them run anything up to 200 degrees (Farehheit presumably) cooler anyway. GKs are the same as the standard ones internally.
I always go for the standard ones, they are cheaper and being cowled in on my planes who would notice if it was a GK.

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Last edited by AndyOne; Apr 28, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoson71
I am looking to the VQ P-40 plane.

My personal choices for the motor are from a Saito 100 or the YS 110.

The YS is discontinued and the new 110S will be out late May but I'm looking at the ones out now.

I fly EDFs right now and DON'T own any glow engines except for My heli (os hyper50) and that motor is plug and play!

I know both the YS and the Saito are good but I am looking for EASY plug and play No hassles and Awe taking sound and preformance.

Is this a flip a coin decision? Can anyone sway My choice to either side?

Thank-You
Jonathan

P.S. besides looking nice does the Golden Knight option have any benefit?

--------------

The just discontinued YS-110 is a great engine.

The Saito 1.00 is nowhere near the power of the YS-1.10. I would consider the Saito 1.25a and even then it will not equal the YS 1.10 in power.

Frankly, the very best and easiest to operate Plug'N'Play four-strokes are OS engines. I love Saito and YS, but they don't compete with OS on ease of use and minimum break-in required. I also do not feel that they are as durable as OS four-strokes. I own lots of each brand, so I'm not a "true believer" that is defending his brand/faith of engines regardless of the facts.

Yes, the OS is larger and heavier. I surmise that that is also why they last the longest. Kind of goes with the territory, if you know what I mean?

If the model will fly well with a Saito 1.00, it will also fly well with an OS .91 Surpass II, or the 1.20 version by OS. Chances are you won't need to worry with a pumped/regulated fuel system, if the model is designed well and the fuel tank is situated properly.

The OS can be broken-in on the model, as can the YS. The Saito needs some bench running.

For nearly the same size and weight as the 1.00, if you have to go Saito, go with the 1.25a.

Myself, I would go with an OS if I wanted a minimum of fuss and a maximum of reliability with power similar to the Saito engines.

For the record, I own the Saito .91, 1.00 & 1.25a, the YS 1.10 in question and three OS .91 Surpass II (two with pumps), one Magnum .91 four-stroke and an OS 1.20 pumped engine. Nothing handles like an OS.

Addendum: The Saito Golden Knight package is one of aesthetics. Some GK versions also include a velocity stack, which improves fuel economy and can be bought after the fact and added to most Saito singles.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:52 PM
6 planes 2 jets 2 helis
Joined Sep 2002
865 Posts
looking at the specs of a few motors mentioned I agree, The FA125A Saito is almost the same size as the FA100. This increase in HP will allow it to fly more airframes in the future (unless I never crash!).
279 price to 340! quite a price difference between the two of them.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:10 AM
Young gun
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Jun 2005
92 Posts
i may only have one 4 stroke but its a magnum .91 and i havent had a single problem out of it yet. just my 2 cents
newguy2005 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2005
Old Apr 29, 2007, 06:37 AM
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
I say saito i have seen guys mess around for four hourse on a ys only before it finly runnign well enough to fly, the os maybe very realiable and everythign else buts its heavy big and quite honestly not that powerfull...

Saito has my vote 100%
Flying freak is offline Find More Posts by Flying freak
Old Apr 29, 2007, 07:52 AM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
i cant speek for the other two O.S or Y.S but i have 2 saitos a 72 and a 62. both engines run great. i have had the 72 for almost a year and i have not touched the needles on it since i initialy adjusted them. i run 20/20 fuel in both and love the power and especialy the weight. i will soo me getting the 82 as well. just my 2 cents
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Old Apr 29, 2007, 08:13 PM
6 planes 2 jets 2 helis
Joined Sep 2002
865 Posts
Well to put to rest I bought the Saito 100.
It was NIB with an extra muffler. for 250$ delivered. I figured I saved 35$ this way.

I really thought hard about the 125A and even placed a bid on one but, well the 100 will still be more than needed.

Thank-You to all who responded . Your oppinion helps everyone here on Our Forum.

Jonathan
Old May 01, 2007, 02:45 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoson71
looking at the specs of a few motors mentioned I agree, The FA125A Saito is almost the same size as the FA100. This increase in HP will allow it to fly more airframes in the future (unless I never crash!).
279 price to 340! quite a price difference between the two of them.

--------------

Every once in a while, I see some of the eBay stores selling the 1.25a for as low as $270 plus shipping. It is not all that uncommon to find them for sale there for less than $300. To the best of my knowledge, these are legit dealers and the warranty is in force. I paid $340 for my Saito 1.25a. I wish I had looked on the Bay first.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old May 01, 2007, 05:35 AM
6 planes 2 jets 2 helis
Joined Sep 2002
865 Posts
I saw everyone who sells them has the exact price, the one I bought was previously owned but never used.

Question about a spinner and prop if I may.

I bought an aluminum 3 blade spinner from VQ and I am shopping for blades, Is there a special prop adapter I need to buy? I'm looking at APC 13x10 2 blade and Master airscrew 14x7 3 blade props as these are the sizes that Saito recommends. Tower stocks these brands. Any other choices? Saito says 13X9 to 14X10 prop range.

I'm confused on this topic, mabey I'll see better when the motor arrives.