SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2006, 09:07 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
Discussion
Base loaded antennas

I have a reciever, a nice PCM reciever I installed in an e-heli but never used.
I had installed a base loaded antenna in the heli.
Has anyone used the short base loaded antennas in their gliders?
The antenna wire has a small plug to plug the base loaded antenna on, if I decide to go back to a wire antenna, can I utilize the plug, and isn't the length 1 meter for the wire?
Graupner/JR Dual Conversion PCM reciever, ch41 (not sure if the length is determined by the channel).
If I try the Base Loaded Antenna, and it range checks OK it should be fine correct?
Thanks for any help.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2006, 02:37 PM
USA, ME, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2006
271 Posts
I've used the Deans mini whip on everything from a Mini Funtana & Blade CP Heli to .40 size glow planes, using both single and dual conversion receivers,
with no problems. I would have used one on my composite OnyxLT but found another solution to the CF fuse issue.
I believe the antenna length is based on 72mhz as a whole, not individual channels... JR sells replacement RX antennas for a couple of bucks...

Hope this helps
Mike
Freakflyin is offline Find More Posts by Freakflyin
Old Nov 04, 2006, 03:35 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,136 Posts
I am using them in a couple of my composite /not carbon/ planes with no range problems ever.Plus I have "rubber ducky" antenna in my Fut 9C too.
This one on Mibo Models Manta,helicopter antenna.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Nov 05, 2006, 05:40 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I've used them on a heli and sport models designed to be flown out in front of you, but never on a sailplane that you'd expect to put a mile away at times.. that just makes me a little nervous!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:45 PM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
If it range checks OK is there any reason to think it would have any different range at distance than a wire antenna?
I heard about these base loaded antenna strips that sailplane guys were supposed to be using, a zig-zag sticker strip, anyone seen those?
What I have is off of my heli, like on the tail in the pic in the previous post.
I'm going to try it, range check it really well, see what happens.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 12:05 PM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,797 Posts
you'll probably be fine but there is some loss of signal when you don't have the full length antenna. It just depends on how much you trust your radio system with your $$$... on big moldies I figure it's easy to fit the full antenna in, why risk it?
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old Nov 06, 2006, 12:56 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Forgot to post this:
http://rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 07, 2006, 03:00 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
Very informative!
I think I'm going to switch my reciever antenna back to the wire.
Old Nov 07, 2006, 03:24 AM
The Lipos cost how much?!
Toluca Lake, Ca USA
Joined Apr 2004
194 Posts
Hmm, that is strange

I switched my Mini Ultra stick's antena from the full length to the dean's base loaded whip. I fly my MUS out there with the gas planes at our field and have not had an issue. I fly as far away as I care to fly and as high as my eyes are comfortable without any issues whatsoever. I am using an electron six. I know a person at our field who uses them on his 40 percent 3D plane without any problems. Also the local jet house (AKA as one of the local shops that specializes in turbine rc) installs them as standard practice on all shop built turbines. Those turbines get farther away faster than any other models I have ever seen (okay hotliners come close) and they dont have a single problem.

Pumi
pumi is offline Find More Posts by pumi
Old Nov 07, 2006, 04:59 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
If I try each type, range check both, and they both range check the same, will the "antenna up" range be the same with similar range checks?
The plane is mostly carbon. I've been told that the antenna wire inside the fuse is OK (In america), inside a mostly carbon plane would one type work better?
I'll be checking both.
Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:41 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
Flew my plane with the base loaded antenna inside the nose, mounted to the underside of the carbon canopy.
Range checked really well, and I flew high and fast!
No probs.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Snake
Flew my plane with the base loaded antenna inside the nose, mounted to the underside of the carbon canopy.
Range checked really well, and I flew high and fast!
No probs.

Mike,what Rx you are having in this one?
Thanx.
DDD.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:17 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
In this plane I was using a JR/Graupner PCM reciever. It's a Euro (Not sold is US) version, Dual conversion PCM.
I think that the reception was good regardless of reciever type though.
I may use the same base loaded system on my new planes, some of which won't be PCM, probably use JR PPM. It's very conveniant to have a detachable antenna, allows the use of the same reciever in multiple planes.