HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2001, 11:25 AM
Exotic Dancer
Atlanta, Ga, USA
Joined Jul 2001
766 Posts
Must save my friend from wasting his money!

A friend of mine is getting in to the hobby, and first bought the SkyStryke kit- one of those heavy plastic planes that comes with the radio installed and flies faster and glides steeper than it needs to. I have tried to explain to him that the radio is junk (megatech with huge heavy components, unuseable in any other plane), and if he bought a lite stick and a hitec 3 channel, he would be much happier when he bought another plane and could simply switch out the radio gear and fly whatever he wants to. He has become disenchanted with the SkyStryke because of the crappy electronics and unflyability, but now wants to buy the firebird XL kit. Falling in to the same trap as he did with the last one. Although I have been in to the R/C stuff for over ten years, he won't take my advice for some reason. He says he just wants to take it out of the box and fly it, which may have its merits, but I hate to see him spend another $200 on a plane that won't allow him to try anything new. Any thoughts?
-=PT=-
Pork Tornado is offline Find More Posts by Pork Tornado
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2001, 11:46 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi PT! Sometimes ya gotta be patient! "out of the box" has great appeal and a novice is drawn to that. Some folks just don't enjoy assembly and gadget tweaking.If he gets the XL, at least go and help him trim it out and try to enjoy yourselves! The biggest difficulty is convicing someone that it's TOO WINDY, like this reply is getting! Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Aug 03, 2001, 01:19 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
With an airplane like a Lite Stik, I'd offer to build it for him - shouldn't take more than a couple hours to get it flying. If he ends up spending 400 bucks to have a very mediocre flying experience, he'll probably decide that this is not the hobby for him.

Good luck!

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Aug 03, 2001, 02:48 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
So he wants to just take it out and fly? Tell him to get a Sky Skooter! And he can re-use the electronics if he gets the pro model.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old Aug 04, 2001, 12:59 AM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
Do you have a LteStik? If so, and you have a c/f or hardwook dowel across the front, show him what it can do. Intentionally ram it into a tree trunk or light pole to show him how tough they are. Also, offer to help him put it together. I've found that many people are intimidated by kits and are afraid of destroying it on their first time out. Really push that the radio gear can upgrade with him and cut down on the cost of the hobby.

Brad
<a href="http://litestick.rcplanet.com">The LiteStick Forum</a>
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie