HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
Vertically challenged.
Peachland B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2002
352 Posts
C-130 build tips?

Hey Guys:
I am just about to start construction on my C-130 and thought I would check for some build info. From the search that I have done, there seems to be no info about the construction of this bird.
I have a few questions before I start:
Do I need to add some downthrust to the motors? I have read a bit about a ballooning effect on take-off.
I am thinking of using 1 servo for the ailerons and possibly one for some flaps down the road. Any thoughts?
Do the wings flex a lot? I have seen some pics and the wings look a little flimsy to me. I have a longer carbon rod to use for a spar. Do I need it?
How delicate is the front landing gear? It looks kinda suspect to me.
What target weight should I shoot for?

Maybe people can post their mods here so that we all have a place to look when others start their Herc's.

If anyone wants, I can post some build pics. Let me know.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Kevin
vise101 is offline Find More Posts by vise101
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2005, 09:30 AM
Bedford Hanscom, Massachussetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
36 Posts
Yes, please post build pic.

Thinking of getting the quad version in a month or so.
Almost flying weather here in Newengland
fishzilla is offline Find More Posts by fishzilla
Old Mar 23, 2005, 09:53 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vise101
Hey Guys:
I am just about to start construction on my C-130 and thought I would check for some build info. From the search that I have done, there seems to be no info about the construction of this bird.
I have a few questions before I start:
Do I need to add some downthrust to the motors? I have read a bit about a ballooning effect on take-off.
I am thinking of using 1 servo for the ailerons and possibly one for some flaps down the road. Any thoughts?
Do the wings flex a lot? I have seen some pics and the wings look a little flimsy to me. I have a longer carbon rod to use for a spar. Do I need it?
How delicate is the front landing gear? It looks kinda suspect to me.
What target weight should I shoot for?

Maybe people can post their mods here so that we all have a place to look when others start their Herc's.

If anyone wants, I can post some build pics. Let me know.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Kevin
Kevin, today is your lucky day. I will send some pics and try to explain what I am doing in those pics. It will take some time but I will do it. Jarhead
Jarhead is offline Find More Posts by Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:40 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Check out these pics!

I will try to keep them in order and explain a little. If you find a spot where you have questions, ask for more detail. Hopefully the pictures will self explain. Jarhead
I started with the basic paint cockpit details and nose wire stiffener. I made the nose wire stiffener and cockpit bulkhead and floor from a depron egg carton. Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:47 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Hello Kevin, I built my quad pretty much per instructions. The only mods I made was where the little motors are mounted, the rear of them can move side to side so I made some small blocks of foam to keep them lined up straight, also made the battery hatch larger for my nicads. The wings do flex but they are not a problem, IMO, flaps are not needed either, she will slow right down. The airplane can handle some wind but is nicer to fly on calm days. Ballooning can be sorted out with elevator throws, once thats done she is perfect. Overall GWS has made a scale like Herc and you will get many hours of univentfull flying.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:52 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Make sure you do all af the prep work you can before you glue the halves together. Once it's closed you committed. Notice the parts I used to make inner and outer wheel collars for the nose. The kits that I have seen that did not do this always had the nose gear sideways. This can be changed at any time. The Jarhead in the cockypit is optional. Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:16 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Now with the halves joined, attach the horizontal, spackle and clean to a smoothe finish. Do some paint touch up and smile. Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:28 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
When installing the radio rember that neetness is not only kool because it looks good but it helps when your mounting the wing also. I used pico servos throughout the C-130. No Problems at all! Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:41 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
I also did the main gear using the same wheel retainer that I drumed up myself. The landing gear do not fit in the fuse so you wil need to revome foam above the whells in the gear bay and in the fuse. Trial fit first, then glue! Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:49 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
We can now move on to the wing. Rirst layout your plan. I decided not to use the wire harness, and I made my one insted. These are the parts I used along with the pico servos. I used a nine pin connector from radio shack and the servo and motor wires all pluged in at the same time! I did not use any mods to the spare. I have renched on this wing more than you better try. Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:55 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Stay the course man and do not rush here! A clean job now will make you feel beter later. Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:00 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Now with the servos in the wing we will tackle the motors. Whatch the next pics to get a sequence of events to help you understand what is going on. Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:09 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Look how nice the wiring turned out. I spent no extra time doing the job right. The motors on my C-130 are offset to the right 1 1/2 degrees. I don't have any troble with this bird. It is the smoothest plane that GWS has. Jarhead
Last edited by Jarhead; Mar 23, 2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:16 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Don't forget that this baby will fly much nicer with the balance point working. I needed 19.5 grams of lead. I cut off the nose to move it as far forward as possible. I hollowed out the nose and used foam frendly CA to reattatch it. Please don't forget so fill, sand and paint after you attatch the nose. Jarhead
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:24 PM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Last of this trips pics!

Kevin, and whoever else can use this info, I hope that I have helped you. Jarhead