SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
494 Posts
Prop Savers

I'm a lurker from over in the scratch built foamies area. There's lots of threads there about prop savers. As I look at the threads here in multi-rotor I don't see many being built with prop savers. Is there any reason not to use them
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt View Post
I'm a lurker from over in the scratch built foamies area. There's lots of threads there about prop savers. As I look at the threads here in multi-rotor I don't see many being built with prop savers. Is there any reason not to use them
Reliability. If a prop comes off in flight then a quad quickly goes to the ground resulting in damage. If this happens on a fixed wing then you have a chance to glide to a landing.
Here is the multirotor forums there has even been many issues with the collet style prop adapter coming off in flight resulting in a crash.

I only run motors that have a solid threaded prop shaft and do prefer the motors with both right and left hand thread options. Then the motor torque keeps the prop nut tight. For motors that are only available with right hand threads the I use nylon insert lock nuts to ensure the prop nut stays on.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr