HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2013, 07:26 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Discussion
Where do you guys fly your micro EDF's?

Hey guys. I haven't flown my F86 Sabre yet due to a lack of places to fly it. I'm worried about not having enough space and worried about it making too much noise for the area I usually fly at. I usually fly at a moderately sized school field with houses surrounding it, so I am worried that it may be too loud and not be big enough. Where do you guys fly your micro EDF's? I'm thinking of joining my local club again, but since I fly mostly micros, I'm not sure if its worth it.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2013, 07:47 PM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
132 Posts
I am a park flyer who flies primarily micros and helis. I usually only fly early in the mornings when there is no one around. In this area the landscapers and the Township start mowing at 7:00 AM and my F-86 or my MIG is not as loud as they are. In the winter all the windows are closed and in the summer all the a/c units are going strong. I do not worry about the noise.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Old May 31, 2013, 05:29 AM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Thanks. I guess I'll have to see if theres an area that will be well suited then.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
I fly in the mornings just like you so I understand you concern about the noise.
I think a High school would be a good bet to look for. They tend to have large sports fields & running tracks close together giving lots of room. There also tends to be very few trees except at the perimeter of the schools which helps mask the noise if there are houses near. My EDF (Mig) sounds quite loud to me when flown in between buildings.
I have flown at a park with 2 soccer fields joined together. The length of the area was fine but the width is too narrow to do turns. Need to stick with hammerheads here to go back and forth. This area was also between buildings so the engine sounds were amplified.

I have flown at a high school that has a large baseball field and running track next to each other. There is plenty of space. This wide open space prevents any amplification of the sound from neighboring buildings. The trees at the perimeter dampens sound that may travel outside the field area.

I normally would fly in a big open field. Unfortunately when I was driving to work today I noticed it was getting torn up with a tractor. Think I will need to find a new spot or just use the high school near me.

In short big open fields are best but high schools work fine.
Strider21 is offline Find More Posts by Strider21
Old May 31, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Thanks. The place I flew last was a high school, but it still sounded a little bit too loud, and then with sporting events going on in the distance, I seemed like I was distracting them. I may have to just deal with the "big planes are better than micros" mentality of people at my flying field and rejoin....
Old May 31, 2013, 03:03 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
853 Posts
I fly at my house which is a rural setting in Indiana with the nearest neighbors about 0.2 miles away. Even so my GP micro F-86 catches the attention of others. One neighbor commented on how fast the plane sounds (I interpreted that as ‘loud’) compared to every other prop-driven micro I fly. And that he has not seen it yet because of its actual speed

I find that if I throttle back and fly at half throttle or so, then the sound is not nearly as loud. Part of the problem is that my EDF is a bit out of balance from the factory. One day I may tear into the fuselage and improve that.
CorvetteC5 is online now Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old May 31, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Ah okay thanks! I'm not sure if mine is out of balance...not sure how to check for that.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:24 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
939 Posts
I used to fly large planes, but now fly mostly micro's due to space requirements of the larger planes. I fly on a small abandoned play area just above my house. I fly my 1s jet right in the front since they don't cause any damage and the noise is very low! My F-86 man that thing is very loud! So is the HH mig 15 but not nearly as loud as the GP sabre. I would not dare fly that any where near my house and have to go to large soccer complex across the street. The Mig also needs a large area.
Keith
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old May 31, 2013, 09:53 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,983 Posts
The GP fan is the loudest micros that I've heard. My little 35mm flying wing has a Sky Angel fan. It will do 90 mph on 3s and it is about 25% of the noise of the GP.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks its absurdly loud for what it is. Do you guys think its louder than a gasser plane? I would hate to go to the flying field and start up my sabre just to find out that its "too loud for the field." It seems anything louder than a gasser gets a red flag.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:12 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
253 Posts
The F-86 takes a LOT more room than a similar sized bipe. I fly mine in a 165 ft x 330 ft pasture surrounded by trees . . . barely. It is tight if the wind crosses the narrow portion.

A soccer field would be good. Meadows, fields, over lakes or rivers. I also belong to two clubs with large airstrips and that is where I fly most often.

It's not so much the volume but the annoying pitch. I have had guys howl and bark at the "dog whistle" or call it a "Barbie Blow Drier". That usually passes when they see it fly.
Charlie P (NY) is offline Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Old Jun 01, 2013, 08:20 AM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Ah okay thanks. Yeah I'm going to join the RC club around here and then fly it there. It seems to be the best place to fly it.
Old Jun 05, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Jan 2009
351 Posts
neighborhood!!!!
txshan130 is offline Find More Posts by txshan130
Old Jun 05, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Mar 2013
26 Posts
Agreed...Neighborhood, until I hear any complaints....been flying my GP f-86 and HH Mig-15 for 2 months now, and no problems. (well except for getting stuck in some trees )
shboyles is offline Find More Posts by shboyles
Old Jun 06, 2013, 06:51 AM
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
My neighborhood is surrounded by trees. Can't really fly there. Houses are close together too.