HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:25 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
It's a lot of work, but the checkerboard looks great !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:23 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
I finished the wing bottom today. Doing the Checker Board before the top of the wing was covered is not the way I like to do things, but the wing is straight and without warps, so hopefully I can keep it that way. My Light Gray Ultracoat came in so I am ready to start the wing top. Doing Checker Board is time consuming, I had about a week in that project. Here's a picture, and I can see so many flaws, but it should look good at a distance. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:47 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
checkerd looks great!!! 100 ' up in the air no one will see anything wrong!
sP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks01 View Post
. Doing Checker Board is time consuming, I had about a week in that project. Here's a picture, and I can see so many flaws, but it should look good at a distance. John
Thats the thing about building airplanes. You know every little flaw or mistake. But someone that doesn't know about them might have to study for a while to find them. Looks like a keeper to me
Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:16 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. Not much to post today, but I did get the base covering on half of the wing top. John
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:44 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
The wing top is done. The Gray is Ultracoat and the Blue is Monocoat. The Ultracoat is so much easier to use than Monocoat, the wing tips were no effort at all. I used Crowfly's method for the curved pieces I added to the Blue, but I still managed to get a bubble in one of the pieces. I ran some Red stripes between the blue and gray and called it done. John
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,357 Posts
Very classy color scheme. Love the checkerboard as well.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:43 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
The wing is finished and R T F. I installed the servos, control horns, CA'd the hinges, and ran the control rods. I hooked up an AR 600, adjusted the ailerons even with the wing center line, and set the control throws at 5/8" up and down (instructions call for 1/2"). If the throws are too twitchy I will adjust them with the radio. AUW of the wing with servos etc is 16 1/2 oz. I can set the wing aside and start covering the fuselage. John
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:42 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
Just a quick post today. There were two thin plastic strips in the box, so I glued them to the wing saddle with C A (that seemed as good a place as any for them). I like to make sure the antenna for the AR 600 receivers gets good reception so I usually route the long antenna outside the airplane. I found a good place out of the way to mount the receiver, coated the balsa with thin C A (the Velcro doesn't want to stick to bare wood), and mounted the receiver with Velcro. I routed some Shrink Tube to come out of the bottom of the fuselage aft of the wing and attached it with C A. I'm running out of excuses not start covering, so I may as well bite the bullet and fire up the iron. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Mar 07, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:07 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
I got some covering done today, the bottom of the fuselage and the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer. Just a little bit each day is all that I can handle, otherwise the quality suffers. John
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:01 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,825 Posts
Nice job. I had a Smoothie back in the early 90's. great flying plane. This was back in my slimmer days. I powered it with an os 46. One day while flying, the wing failed at the dihedral joint. Only plane to ever so this to me in flight. I've been tempted to build another
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:13 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
Steve, This is one of the less expensive kits out there. I was worried about the weakness of the wing at the center (dihedral) joint, so I put a two inch strip of fiberglass on the sheeting at the joint. It has to help. I got some Gray on today. Haven't quite decided how I will do the covering at the nose yet, but I will think of something. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Mar 09, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
I got the tail area covered today,the base colors are on. John
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:03 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
This is turning into an attractive color scheme, John !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:11 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
802 Posts
Thanks Tom. I got some more Blue on today, and it is time to quit. I still have the control surfaces, and nose to do. I still haven't decided what I am going to do at the front. John