SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:00 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,406 Posts
Discussion
Need Kit Contest Suggestions

I'm considering doing a one-kit build contest for my club. Was wondering if I could get some suggestions for an affordable 40-size kit that is easy to build and easy to modify/kitbash.

Also, looking for suggestions on how to run this contest from those that have run them before, or participated in them!

Thanks!
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,511 Posts
Not sure how to run one of these, but the 4*40 would make a good choice. Flies great for the just past beginner stage to the advanced. Easy to build and bash.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:57 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I'll second the Four Star 40, having had an electric one for eleven years, that ended up with about the wing section as the only part that didn't get altered some.

if you dig into the depths of Four Star 40 threads up in the sports electric forum, Gary Wright, the guy behind the E3D, often wrote about his club having a similar event to what you're describing. They did the Four Star 40 one year, with comps like aerobatics, pylon, touch and go - all the usual stuff. Modifications were encouraged and thus came about the clipwing 4* with enlarged tailfeathers and other stuff. They were mostly glow powered in that event, but the mods wandered over into the electric field.

From what I recall briefly - that club announced their kit of choice in the 'building season', so everyone could get one together. The flying events were done on a monthly nice weather sort of schedule.

I'd suggest staying away from events that include high chances of models going home as a bag of bits! Limbo, for one, tends to have many folk who really can't imagining that they can...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
I'm considering doing a one-kit build contest for my club. Was wondering if I could get some suggestions for an affordable 40-size kit that is easy to build and easy to modify/kitbash.

Also, looking for suggestions on how to run this contest from those that have run them before, or participated in them!

Thanks!
I just coordinated one for our club. We're building the Comet Sparky design (kits from Bob Holman Plans). We are letting them power with anything they want, RC or FF, any type covering (some are doing tissue, others Park Lite).

The one-design lets everybody see what the others do to solve problems, the power/control/finish options let people do what they like.

I coordinated buying the kits (24!) which got us a great discount from Bob Holman, even though it is a bit of a nuisance getting everybody to sign up and then coming around to get their money (biggest issue has been having the right change). It's a little effort on my part, but I think it's worth it.

We haven't decided on what we're going to do for judging rules yet. We don't have to do that until May when we have our annual Builders Contest (ie, the day you're supposed to be done and have a mass show of finished models).

Good luck, and keep us posted on it!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:09 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,406 Posts
Thanks Andy, and others! If anyone else would like to chime in, I'd love to hear more ideas.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:26 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,140 Posts
Most important thing is to choose a kit that's 1, easy to build, 2, quick to build, 3, inexpensive.
There were a number of clubs that did one-design funflies every year, back in the days when we were all modelers and you had to actually build your planes <G>. One club chose telemasters one year and that pretty well eliminated the one-design event at that club. There were only a few that were ever finished. The 4-star probably had the longest run as it met the 3 criteria above. There was a club about an hour drive from where I lived that chose the Sig Scamp one year. It's nice flying little 3-channel model with a pre-molded foam wing so all you do is build the fuselage. I think they had the highest participation rate I know of due to the meeting all the criteria above perfectly. After building a few and modding them, I'd probably vote for the house of balsa laser-stick-10. It doesn't meet your desire for a 40 size plane, but they fly real well, lend themselves to modifications (I had one as a twin with two speed 400's and nicads), and I could build one in an evening after work, probably 5~6 hours, with 75% of that spent covering. I hate covering. No patience and it's too tedious <G>.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:05 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,406 Posts
Hmmm, a foam build might be a good idea to keep costs down.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:47 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
most important thing is to choose a kit that's 1, easy to build, 2, quick to build, 3, inexpensive.
amen!
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:28 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Maybe just choose a popular and cheap BARF?

Prizes awarded for:
First to accept delivery
First to get a complete one to the field/club meeting
First to get one to fly
First to collapse a major component in flight
Cheapskate award for the one who spent the least on the model, RC gear and power.

And an 'Oddball Award' for the best strip-down, structural sort-out and custom re-cover, for a little variety.

Sorry, house is dominated by painters, the place stinks of paint, I can't get in my workshop to finish up the new Four Star 20 and I am starting to crack up some

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck