HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:45 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
963 Posts
Set up dual rates so you get to chosse between stable and nimble in flight. I'd recommend to start with 60% on both elevator as well as ailerons, and something like 30-40% expo. That's on low rates. Set the high rates to 85% and 25% expo.

Once you've gotten used to it and you find yourself flying on high rates all the time set the 85/25 on low and 100/20 or so on high. In general this wing wants a little more >oomph< on the ailerons than on the elevator.

If this is your first wing make absolutely sure you get CG right. Too far back and it becomes a handful to fly. The recommended CG in the instructions is spot on.

Good luck.
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
Set up dual rates so you get to chosse between stable and nimble in flight. I'd recommend to start with 60% on both elevator as well as ailerons, and something like 30-40% expo. That's on low rates. Set the high rates to 85% and 25% expo.

Once you've gotten used to it and you find yourself flying on high rates all the time set the 85/25 on low and 100/20 or so on high. In general this wing wants a little more >oomph< on the ailerons than on the elevator.

If this is your first wing make absolutely sure you get CG right. Too far back and it becomes a handful to fly. The recommended CG in the instructions is spot on.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for that info. What would you recommend for the settings for elevons?
perick is offline Find More Posts by perick
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:48 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
963 Posts
If you turn on delta mixing (also called elevon mixing) you only get two input channels, aileron and elevator (plus motor obviously). The mixing will take care of adding/subtracting your input on those two sticks to create the two output channels which are your elevon servos.

So if you set your inputs (dual rate and expo manipulate the input side) the mixing will take care of your outputs (the servo channels). You can't set elevon rates as elevons are the outputs, not the inputs.

You could set servo end points but that's really not necessary. Use it only if you don't get the same deflection on both control surfaces.
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Aug 26, 2014, 05:22 PM
My head in the clouds!
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2014
105 Posts
I finally did the maiden flight on mine this morning and It was great! This thing is super fast!

Here's my setup:

Detrum 40a ESC
Turnigy 3s 2200mah 60-120c
6x4R prop
D2826-6 2200kv
Cyclone Steve is offline Find More Posts by Cyclone Steve
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:26 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Steve View Post
I finally did the maiden flight on mine this morning and It was great! This thing is super fast!

Here's my setup:

Detrum 40a ESC
Turnigy 3s 2200mah 60-120c
6x4R prop
D2826-6 2200kv
nice set up . these things can handle speed , how much I don't know, I have a similar set up,i would love to set it up to be faster but , I have planes for that so this one stays as is .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:15 AM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
105 Posts
It can always be faster!
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
105 Posts
Ok... Whats the trick to launching this thing yourself?? The first few flight my buddy threw it in the air and I had to be really quick on the sticks to get it going. Once its going it flies very straight and stable. When I try and throw it my self I cant get it in the air. Its just noses down... How much throttle are you guys using to launch it with a similar setup like mine? Level toss? nose up? frisbie throw?? HELP!!!
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
83 Posts
Frisbee throw using my left hand so as my right hand is already on the right stick [elev, ail] and I launch at full power slightly nse up. I find if it doesn't have enough power or airspeed it will simply nose in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Steve View Post
Ok... Whats the trick to launching this thing yourself?? The first few flight my buddy threw it in the air and I had to be really quick on the sticks to get it going. Once its going it flies very straight and stable. When I try and throw it my self I cant get it in the air. Its just noses down... How much throttle are you guys using to launch it with a similar setup like mine? Level toss? nose up? frisbie throw?? HELP!!!
cameronblick is online now Find More Posts by cameronblick
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronblick View Post
Frisbee throw using my left hand so as my right hand is already on the right stick [elev, ail] and I launch at full power slightly nse up. I find if it doesn't have enough power or airspeed it will simply nose in.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will give it a try
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,653 Posts
thik of it as throwing a Frisbee to a small child , C(toss gently ) . this thing floats right out of your hands.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
My head in the clouds!
Joined Mar 2014
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
thik of it as throwing a Frisbee to a small child , C(toss gently ) . this thing floats right out of your hands.
with my setup at full throttle it feels like it will FLY right out of my hand! I don't think I was giving it enough throttle when I was trying to launch it myself.. Nerve's and all.. Good thing its tough as nails!