HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:39 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
Allow me to amend what I said...

If you're using a stock 2.4 ghz radio you are going to run into problems trying to FPV with it, especially spectrum.

Fixed.
Ok so I have decided Adding the DragonLink FIRST of everything to my Radio. After doing this what is the best Frequency to get?
The 900MHz isn't possible, so i will take the 1.2GHz right?

1W LawMate 1.2GHz Transmitter

Is this cool?
MoRaLeSD is online now Find More Posts by MoRaLeSD
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:58 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
Ok so I have decided Adding the DragonLink FIRST of everything to my Radio. After doing this what is the best Frequency to get?

Is this cool?
I have a Dragon Link and the Lawmate 1w Tx. They work VERY good.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:04 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:

Is this cool?
Quote:
It's the 1W and 2W people that are really asking to get spanked.
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,473 Posts
Swallbat - Thanks for the info. From what I can tell, there are actually two Hobbyking OSDs--one for $13 and another for $8. The $13 one only has one video connector and is meant to be wired in parallel with your receiver. The $8 one has both an in and out video jack and is meant to be wired in series with your receiver. To me this would imply that the parallel one at least generates its own independent video signal, which could possibly keep the display going even when the main video signal drops out. Is this right?

Or if that one wouldn't serve my purpose, would the series one do it, since it actually does something to the main signal from the receiver? I don't know enough about this stuff, but it would be nice if one of them would. Otherwise I don't know what I'll do besides maybe buy another screen.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:31 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Allow me to amend what I said...

If you're using a stock 2.4 ghz radio you are going to run into problems trying to FPV with it, especially spectrum.

Fixed.
Why? And why is it any different for Spektrum systems?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:51 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Why? And why is it any different for Spektrum systems?
Spectrum is usually DSM2 which fails horribly at hopping around a VTx. Stock
2.4ghz radios just generally don't have the power to reach more than 1 km. Not
to say that some people that live where the noise floor is low and use low
power VTx's can't get some range, but for most users a stock 2.4ghz will fail at
less than 1km. Find me one stock 2.4ghz FPVer who flies around happily at
more than 2km....never gonna find one...

Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:34 AM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
I have a Dragon Link and the Lawmate 1w Tx. They work VERY good.
Thank you mate,this will probably be my final setup!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:24 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
442 Posts
Merci IBCRAZY,
Hi, yes i have taken some time to reply, just back from holiday,,, can you give me any of the addresses ?, and new to this site it takes me 'ages' to find my posts, thanks Paul
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,454 Posts
You're saying "stock" 2.4. Are there legal modifications that allow 2.4 users to reach out farther? I use a "stock" Airtronics SD-10G. I'm hoping to try FPV flying with that. Will I have a problem?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
You're saying "stock" 2.4. Are there legal modifications that allow 2.4 users to reach out farther? I use a "stock" Airtronics SD-10G. I'm hoping to try FPV flying with that. Will I have a problem?
You can use a 2.4Ghz amplifier to extend the range. 2.4 is legal without a license up to 1W of power. Most transmitters are between 85 - 110 mW.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Spectrum is usually DSM2 which fails horribly at hopping around a VTx. Stock
2.4ghz radios just generally don't have the power to reach more than 1 km. Not
to say that some people that live where the noise floor is low and use low
power VTx's can't get some range, but for most users a stock 2.4ghz will fail at
less than 1km. Find me one stock 2.4ghz FPVer who flies around happily at
more than 2km....never gonna find one...

Blues
But that is just the fact of 2.4GHz systems, having nothing to do with FPV really. And Spek isn't any worse off than anyone else. Some systems hop around, some systems spam the whole band, and some use wide-band channels. As long as your video system isn't on 2.4GHz, all of these methods should suffer equally in the presence of your video transmitter. IBCrazy just pointed out a few posts back that the harmonics DON'T interfere, and I'm not sure why people keep saying that.

There's a video on my channel which shows a Spek system competing with a "deliberate" wide-band jammer. What's interesting is this - with the jammer turned on, you can still see the Spek signal, but the Futaba signal fades into the background (it is equally jammed everywhere it tries to go). I've seen this on a spectrum analysis - so don't tell me Spek is worse in the presence of a jammer - it's not.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,473 Posts
So after further testing, I discovered the black screen problem I was having isn't actual black screening. My Coby DVD player seems to have this glitch where it turns off the backlight on the screen whenever the camera suddenly points at a bright object (though it only does this when I'm going through the video transmitter, not when the camera is directly plugged into the screen). The signal strength is just fine, and you can actually still see the video faintly on the screen, but every time the camera switches from looking at a dark place to a bright place the screen turns off the backlight, which comes on again in about three seconds and it flashes NTSC on the display. You can make it do the exact same thing by pressing the "Display" button on the DVD player. I'm thinking this might just be a bad display to use and it's not even the same as the typical black screen problem.

Anyone know if there might be a way to stop this, or do I just need to get a different screen?
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:28 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post

This is what I get from it - looks a bit better live in the goggles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBVU-cbtnY

Would you want to fly miles away with that? I wouldn't.
In your video is like you have a very small view angle. Is this the maximum field of you that you can see? I have seen other video but the image was much bigger? Why is this? Lets say in this video:

Born for FPV, Insane FPV RC Plane Flight Through Shed, Train and Car Chase, Almost Crash Stall (4 min 48 sec)

Like this i could fly for miles I think ...
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:30 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
You can buy different lens for your camera. Some are wide, some are narrow. There about $15.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
In your video is like you have a very small view angle. Is this the maximum field of you that you can see? I have seen other video but the image was much bigger? Why is this? Lets say in this video:

Like this i could fly for miles I think ...
Well what I meant was would you want to fly far away with a system that is glitching like mine was when I wasn't far away. Our systems don't do letterboxing or other aspect ratio stuff to adapt to the image size. So, if you hook up a widescreen camera to your normal screen goggles, it will simply squish the image horizontally - and while you are viewing a wider angle, it isn't physically any larger to your eyes - so you've stuffed more information into the same space, and that may not actually be better.

Typically when you see recorded flights in widescreen, it was recorded by a second camera. For example, you fly with a camera like mine, and you have a GoPro HD sitting next to it, recording onto the memory card. That way you get a nice, high quality recording with no video transmission artifacts.