HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:52 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,245 Posts
Mark post 10542. And, whenever someone starts telling new owners or prospective buyers about all the mods they must do, just quote that post. I will be happy to take the flack from those who insist that things must be modified to fly.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
A question to Eagle, Woodstock,Ecase and Aejar:
Does your repeated post mean that none of you have made any modifications to your RP?

JovanX, I fully agree with you regarding making mods that change the way a plane flies to suit what you want it to do (within limits)

Regarding the 1800 battery, I'm sure you've all noticed that there are big differences in weight and size of batteries from different manufacturers. I recently bought two 2200 batteries from Hobbiking and was surprised to see how massive they are in comparison to the brand sold at my LHS. it is very possible that you are visualizing a larger battery.

I'll weigh it and post so that it can clarify the matter.
BTW, Although I am fairly experienced I took the RP to the LHS and we checked it with the owner, who is a SAMAA (local equivalent of the AMA) instructor.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Last edited by Danny_l; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,439 Posts
My only mod was to change the prop. This was back when guys were measuring the motor output and saying the stock prop was defective.
My point is that, in my opinion, the RP is a great plane for what it was designed to do. Many of the people who complain about its performance are trying to get it to do other things. It is an entry level, full house, electric glider. Evaluate it by that standard. Mine flies very well.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,439 Posts
Oops, duplicate post. Sorry
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Well,
I'll be trying it out over the weekend, see how it goes.
Brgds,
Danny
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,942 Posts
I agree also. It flies very well out of the box. Only mod it if you want to.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
362 Posts
Just as "aeajr" said, "it fly's great right out of the box. I'am not a great sailplane pilot but this aircraft has never been anything but fun to fly. My ONLY mod is the prop and spinner. Use it the way it was intended and it will be a great fly...mod only to satisfy some other need.
moparherb is offline Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Attention all new Radian Pro buyers and those considering buying a Radian Pro.

ALL MODIFICATIONS ARE OPTIONAL

Many have said this in bits and pieces so let me consolidate. The RP, as a thermal duration glider, flies very well straight out of the box. No mods are required. A little adjustment of the CG toward the rear is highly recommended, but other than that, all mods are optional.

This is like a Ford Taurus. Comes off the showroom floor and drives you everywhere reliably every day. Now, if you want a little better handling you might switch to the super stickey X1000 tires. And if you want a little more pop coming from those red lights, just add the Whamo engine booster. And to anchor it better, put in the super slamo brake shoes. Now if you want a little better steering, swap out the steering rack for the Zapo steering rack and the difference will blow you away. And, if you pull that motor and drop in a Super screamer V8, well, now you have a car you can proudly drive to the super market.

Or you can drive it off the lot and enjoy it for 100,00 miles with regular maintenance.

The Radian Pro is the same. You do not NEED to modify anything except, perhaps, move the CG back a bit as part of your tuning process. But if you fly the stock Radian Pro, as a thermal duration glider, with the recommended 1300 mah battery or one of comparable size and shape, you are good to go.

If you just like to modify things, there are lots of suggestions in this thread. But they are not required.

ALL MODIFICATIONS ARE OPTIONAL! THE RADIAN PRO FLIES FINE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.

This has been brought to you as a public service announcement by the association to stop the confusion.
As usual, Aeajr makes great sense.

Especially for a plane you just purchased. Just get to know her characteristics for a while, and then if you are not happy with something, modify. If you modify a brand new plane without trying it stock, how are you going to know if you made it worse or better?

I too am shocked that an RP will balance at 77mm with an 1800ma battery. Mine balances at 77 only when the battery is all the way rear. With an 1800 ma I need lead in the tail to balance at 77mm.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi,
Does your repeated post mean that none of you have made any modifications to your RP?

JovanX, I fully agree with you regarding making mods that change the way a plane flies to suit what you want it to do (within limits)

Regarding the 1800 battery, I'm sure you've all noticed that there are big differences in weight and size of batteries from different manufacturers. I recently bought two 2200 batteries from Hobbiking and was surprised to see how massive they are in comparison to the brand sold at my LHS. it is very possible that you are visualizing a larger battery.

BTW, Although I am fairly experienced I took the RP to the LHS and we checked it with the owner, who is a SAMAA (local equivalent of the AMA) instructor.

Brgds,
Danny
I flew my first one stock for about 3 months. Only exception was to apply black stick on film to the bottom of the wing for better visibility, and that was only after a couple of weeks, and a couple of near losses of visual contact. I was very reluctant to do any mods. Didn't switch props until about a year in.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
Thanks Jumpysticks.
It is actually encouraging to hear that several of you got the RP to fly OK wihtout mods.

Here are two photos showing the 1800 Mah battery and how it fits in the RP.
The batt is 100mm long and weighs 140 Gr' (4.9 ounces)

How does that compare with your 1300Mah batteries?

Brgds,
Danny
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Brgds,
Danny

I flew if straight out the box with a 1300mah batt and it was a lot of fun. Since I wanted to fly more aggressive and fast, I then changed the prop and stiffened it up. Now I am insane and using the platform for something it was never intended, and it still flying well. It's no $800 high performance glider, but it does its intended mission as described.

Has anyone done any saddle mod? Any suggestions? I don't want the spar to rip through from stress.
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Brgds,
Danny
See my post #10489 which was a reply to you. In addition to what I said there I have painted the bottoms of the wings black added stiffener to the elevator and changed out the connectors at the control horns. I did fly mine out of the box for a while and began making changes based on what I was doing with my regular Radian.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks Jumpysticks.
It is actually encouraging to hear that several of you got the RP to fly OK wihtout mods.

Here are two photos showing the 1800 Mah battery and how it fits in the RP.
The batt is 100mm long and weighs 140 Gr' (4.9 ounces)

How does that compare with your 1300Mah batteries?

Brgds,
Danny
Looks exactly like my Turnigy 1800. The 1300 slides in so that the end is flush with where the lower Velcro strap is glued to the plastic retainer.
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Attention all new Radian Pro buyers and those considering buying a Radian Pro.................

ALL MODIFICATIONS ARE OPTIONAL

........This has been brought to you as a public service announcement by the association to stop the confusion.
I am quoting this not just because I agree with the sentiments but to show that you do not have to show the quote complete to achieve your message. You might as well delete the majority of the quote and leave enough so people know what you are quoting. This saves screen space and allows more posts on a page.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
948 Posts
[QUOTE=Watdazit;22788518]I am quoting.... QUOTE]

Point taken.
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by eroeder; Sep 20, 2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: .