HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:01 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vultage View Post
My first time seeing this,.. and now I know why NOT to use the $5 HK CF blades!
Funny thing is that pretty much any brand blades, including the big names, have a warning not to go above about 2200rpm even though we all do 3000+
Harrow is online now Find More Posts by Harrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vultage View Post
My first time seeing this,.. and now I know why NOT to use the $5 HK CF blades!

Now,.. I had been using the $3 HK FG blades and they were great to get me started on my flying journey. They were cheap, and I was breaking them fairly often. The balance on them was pretty close on most pair, though a couple pair were way off. I started to crash less so I tried the CFs. There was a night and day difference,.. the CFs were so much more agile, more locked in, just plain tighter feel, and also had a much cooler sound during hard collective maneuvers. I've recently gotten comfortable with both Ail and Ele flips, rolls, and tic tocs.

I was just having a great flight,.. lots of combo moves into all my practice routines, and then,... BAM,...... it was as if I hit a pole mid air(no poles way up in the sky), A big POP,,.. and both blades went flying through the sky. The heli was up quite a ways so I had quite a few seconds watching it fall, thinking to myself,..what the Heck just happened? The final outcome it seems, is the blades blew apart!!! SCARY!!!! I was at about 3000Hs which seems about normal for a 450 Pro DFC, if not slower than others run. I will still recommend these blades for beginners to get started but if you've moved on to anything where you push the blades, you have to figure,... the crash is going to cost you more than just buying $20+ blades. I have my order of another type of blades to try,... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=32092 after these, If they don't work out, I will be using the Align, 3G blades, as I can't seem to find any other blades made specifically for FBL.
Tarot makes FBL blades.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:11 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,603 Posts
Someone told me a real easy way to loosen tight links. Just pinch them with needle nose while they are on the balls. Worked perfect and easy. Had to do this with my stock Align FB head. links were way too tight and it would not work stock like that.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:56 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
First stage of the 450 Pro to 480 Pro is completed.

Still has 325mm blades in these shots:

No problem getting the CG correct with a v2 canopy:

I was surprised the 450L Dominator tail blades are plastic:

beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,512 Posts
Very nice BF. I'm anxious to hear how she flies.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Very nice BF. I'm anxious to hear how she flies.
Thanks. Yes, I'm reading some good reviews about the 450L flying much bigger than the 450 Pro, so it should be interesting.

I'm using the 450L wire tail pushrod for now, but I have a Tarot 480 CF one on the way. I'm now wondering if the Tarot 480, ALZRC 480 and 450L tail boom and TT are the same length. I guess they could all be a slightly different length...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:04 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,776 Posts
I've been using the protos 500 stretch rod after having the Tarot break at an end in flight,cracked the carbon at the fitting.The Tarot is 2mm I think versus the protos 3 mm.
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
I've been using the ALZRC CF tail pushrod on this 450 Pro and my 450 Sport, without any issue. I think they are 2mm CF, but I will have to check.

I know I got a CF pushrod from Infinity Hobby, at one stage, that was nowhere near as stiff as the ALZRC ones. It will be interesting to see how the Tarot CF pushrod I have coming compares, when I get it.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
A couple of interesting pictures, mickeyjohnston posted on helifreak, showing the difference between the 450 Pro and 450L blades and boom:

Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
North Idaho
Joined Feb 2011
689 Posts
That's looking real nice BF. What FBL are you using ?

I noticed the pull tab on your balance plug and I've seen those sold online as well. For anyone interested I use heat shrink. It wont come off and it's cheap.

Happy Flying !!!

Bill S.
VelocityRC is offline Find More Posts by VelocityRC
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:24 AM
UK, North Yorkshire, Whitby
Joined May 2010
73 Posts
Hi All,
A problem or perhaps not ? I am very new to Helicopter flying only about 2 hours total stick time including some on a Sim. I have a HK 450 FBL V2 Align copy I think, Tarot ZYX S2 gyro , six legged Training gear and a Futaba 10 C 2.4 Ghz Tx. The throttle and pitch curves are very conservative, as suggested by John Salt. Collective +3 to +8, blade angle(Cyclic) +- 6 and throttle curve linear 0% to about 75% then flat at 75 % up. I have -30% Expo on Elevator and Aileron the rest of the settings are default as per Tarot instructions and the model is set up as "Soft 3D" I have been hovering, somewhat ! about 2 feet from the ground and have had no serious events as yet. I have manage to hover for a whole batteries worth, 11 min on a 3 S 2200 nano tech, not very elegantly but defiantly skids off the ground and within an area of about 2 by 3 m.
Now the questions : I decided to check the c of g after a number of flights, yes OK I should have checked before the first but I didn't. I found that the Heli was markedly tail heavy so much so that I could not balance it by moving the battery forward sufficiently. I moved it as far as I could and also moved the training gear forward, this helped the situation but did not correct the balance point totally. I tried another flight and to my surprise found the Heli much more difficult to control and considerable less stable. I moved battery and training gear back to the previous positions, tail heavy and flew yet again. The Heli was much easier to control, back the feel it had before I changed the C of G. Is this what I should expect, a tail heavy Heli to be more stable or I am I missing something else of importance. Any Helpful comments more than welcome, I should have said I have been building and flying fixed wing for more than 20 years and have a fixed wing B certificate. As we all know "Nose heavy flies badly tail heavy flies once" apples to "planks" could it be the reverse applies to FBL Heli's

regards

John
WSWitby is online now Find More Posts by WSWitby
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:38 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
Trim?

When you tried to correct the C of G, did you also alter the trim in the ZYX to compensate? If the trim was out, it might give the impression of less stability, especially when you're at the early stages of learning to hover. You won't be in a position to try any hands-off hovering for a while, so it may be hard for you to figure out what if any trim changes are needed.

Right now, I'm flying my MT slightly nose heavy, and it flies fine. I might try moving the battery pack around to see if I see any changes in stability. I like "tail heavy flies once"
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:31 PM
High VulTAge
Joined Apr 2013
260 Posts
My heli seems to be a bit tail heavy when picking it up under the blade grips,.. but the Align manual states a different method to check CoG. Grab the blade grips in one hand so that the heli can spin all the way around without hitting your fingers. then Pick it up blades pointing up and down, and spin the heli. Gently is good,.. it should stop with the nose anywhere between 7-10 o'clock,.. or 1-5 o'clock. I have started using this method, as my canopy will not allow the batt any further forward. Not sure about the poor handling,.. as 2D stated,.. make sure to check your swash, it should be level, reguardless of C of G.

Page 38 section 18 http://www.ronlund.com/mm5/part_find...DFC_MANUAL.pdf
Vultage is offline Find More Posts by Vultage
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:17 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityRC View Post
That's looking real nice BF. What FBL are you using ?

I noticed the pull tab on your balance plug and I've seen those sold online as well. For anyone interested I use heat shrink. It wont come off and it's cheap.

Happy Flying !!!

Bill S.
Thanks. V bar clone (gv 8000).

Cool tip using the heat shrink. Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:18 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,246 Posts
Oh my.... those 450L blades are pretty big comparing. I can imagine the heli getting a different feel by using that. The switch from 325 to 335mm is something i do notice in flight.

I do think you can only stretch stuff so much before you lose your advantages.... if you go larger it is just not a 450 size any more. I just like this smallish but capable heli to throw around on the small field nearby. The bigger heli (500 size) is just to quick to the other side to enjoy.... and the increased safety concern for onlookers with the big heli is a burden on fun also.

--

I used 3mm hollow carbon as my tail pushrod. it feels really ridged but you have to be super careful handling your heli. If you bend or pinch it, the tube wall will collapse. 3mm solid would be a solution but at almost double the weight.

On my 500+ size i went from 3mm steel rod to 4mm hollow carbon and shaved off half the weight of the rod system. Looks super nice.

Still have a 450 on 2mm cf rod. it has never given me any problems and ill just keep it on. It is already much better than thin steel pushrod anyway.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Last edited by sp00fman; Sep 12, 2013 at 04:31 PM.