HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Joined Oct 2014
4 Posts
Help!
Ist flight w/ Orange LRS = crash

I got the orange 1000mw Tx module on the back of my taranis and Rx binded and all looked well so I sent up my FX-61. Got no more than 100 feet and it started alarming. No warning just straight alarm. Got moments of intermittent control and started to turn back then nothing and the plane went down. Stock antennas.

Although the motor mount broke I could still test the controls on the ground and confirmed that at no more than 30 feet it would just straight alarm out. No real rhyme or reason to antenna direction or orientation and no exact distance.

The rx antenna is on an 18" extension out to the wing.

It would be an antenna issue wouldn't it? The taranis battery seems to power the module and all works at very close range.

I know I'm gong to need better antennas but thought this should at least work for LOS.. was supposed to be a simple test flight.

Could somebody point me in the right direction of where or what to look at?
Jester1 is online now Find More Posts by Jester1
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,225 Posts
Test continuity from tip of the Rx antenna's active element to the center pin, through the
extension. Symptoms are consistent with Rx thinking it has no antenna.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Today, 01:09 AM
United States, MI
Joined Sep 2014
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Test continuity from tip of the Rx antenna's active element to the center pin, through the
extension. Symptoms are consistent with Rx thinking it has no antenna.
What he said. Happens to the best of us. Although, I have heard of this exact same thing happening on your exact modules.
UberNiK is offline Find More Posts by UberNiK
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:37 AM
Joined Oct 2014
4 Posts
I tested continuity from exactly as said. Cut the rubber tip off the Rx antenna and tested continuity from the exposed wire there to the last connection where it enters the Rx and it was good.

I guess I'll leave it all unconnected and see if the Rx acts any differently with no antenna at all. Then see what kind of connection I can monkey up to see if I can get any better range before I give the Orange RX the stink eye.

This seems like it's going to be a ridiculous thing to have to test with the 30 feet of walking in between every time. Out in a field somewhere. With all the tools and stuff. Ah man if anybody's got any suggestions on how to do this more efficiently I'm all ears.

Thanks very much for the help fellas.

Would I be able to tell if I had accidentally switched the stock antenna for say a 5.8 duckie of the same height and build? I guess I'll switch them all find that out too..

All this is going in the category of sh*t I hadn't planned on. Which is where I seem to spend 90% of my time. When I'm not waiting on the post man. I'm sure nobody can relate.
Jester1 is online now Find More Posts by Jester1