SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
Discussion
Micro McFoamy-X from wmparkflyers.com

Introducing the new Micro McFoamy-X available from wmparkflyers.com. The McFoamy-X is a new design and is now being offered in a 22-3/4" span, 2mm depron size which has been specifically designed around the UMX Beast and SBach electronics. Prototypes have been weighing in the 65 to 70 gram range using the standard 2s/180 mah packs. They have been flown with both non-AS3X and AS3X receivers with great results. The AS3X receiver does have a slight advantage for outdoor flying in a breeze but either setup does outstanding. Greg of wmparkflyers.com will post shortly with flight video and where to order yours.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:37 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
Construction is very straight forward and goes very quickly with the excellent laser cut parts from wmparkflyers.com.

All the components I used in the prototypes is stock from UMX SBach including the little Eflite 180 - 2500kv motor. I have used both a GWS 5x3 prop and the stock UMX SBach 5x2.75 prop and prefer the UMX prop for indoor flying.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
Greg is including pre-cut 1/32" plywood control horns, firewall and pushrod guides. I always hit them with a little black spray paint to give them the look of carbon fiber.

With the UMX SBach you get four (4) individual 2.3 gram servos but the plane is easily adaptable to the UMX Beast brick which has servos mounted to the receiver.

With a weight that is approximately 5 to 10 grams less than the UMX SBach but with almost twice the wing area the Micro McFoamy-X has a nice floaty feel without needing to mill the airframe. The airframe is very durable as was recently tested at an indoor event. The MMFX was in a mid-air with a much larger plane and while it did sustain damage was quickly put back into the air with only a little tape and foam safe CA. In fact all the pictures posted were from after the collision.
Last edited by r/cdawg; Apr 03, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:46 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,761 Posts
Micro McFoamy X now on the site

Kits are now on sale 22.95 Each

Click Here to Order Yours Today
WMParkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Apr 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:47 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,761 Posts
ETOC Demo ... Awesome Job flying by Ashleigh.
Welcome the newest member of Team WMPF !!!

WMPF Micro McFoamy X Demo at 2013 ETOC (12 min 2 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Apr 11, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:28 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
I thought I would post a few more pictures showing a comparison in size to the McFoamy-X's I have built.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:48 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
More video. This was the second flight on the MMFX and I'm using the AS3X receiver from the SBach in this version. I was still trying to figure out the best cg location. Sorry for the quality.

Micro McFoamy X - 2nd Flight (3 min 38 sec)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:25 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
Wmparkflyers.com had a very successful introduction of the Micro McFoamy-X at Toledo this past weekend. Sold many kits of the micro and would have sold even more if he would have had the components to sell with the kits. Greg is looking into being able to sell the MMFX with everything included in the box.

Greg also introduced the newest member of team Wmparkflyers.com and her name is Ashleigh Heath. Ashleigh, as can be seen in the video, is quite an accomplished 3d pilot. Even so, Greg believes in baptism under fire and with only a 2 minute trim/practice flight he had Ashleigh fly a couple of demo flights during the ETOC competition on Friday evening. She did two awesome flights with the MMFX which gives testiment to her flying talent and demonstrates how well the MMFX flies. Greg told me that she really impressed the competitors and that even Gernot Bruckman snapped a bunch of pictures of her flying the MMFX.

I hope to show a few more pictures of the component installation later today.

WMPF Micro McFoamy X Demo at 2013 ETOC (12 min 2 sec)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:42 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
Greg should have his mill up and running shortly and will be able to offer the MMFX in a milled version also. With a few other changes we plan to make flying weights will be in the 55 to 60 gram range.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:04 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
320 Posts
Any plans for an EPP version?
dynodude is online now Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:21 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodude View Post
The 2mm depron is thin enough that it is quite forgiving ... there for a epp version is not necessary. You will be surprised on how much they will take. The thicker you get the depron as in 6mm and thicker the more brittle it becomes and prone to cracking in the event of a ground swell during flight. The thin stuff flexes quite a bit without breaking or cracking.

We might make a 5mm standard size in EPP but the "Micro's" (note plural hint hint) will all be out of 2mm depron.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:05 AM
Battery Powered==(*)==
Mesquite, Nevada
Joined Jan 2002
501 Posts
I don,t see the micro model on your website.. Using an Ipad new products page is blank. Also when adding to cart goes white also. May be because Ipad doesn,t do flash.
tomcor is offline Find More Posts by tomcor
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodude View Post
As Greg said we anticipate a regular sized 32" EPP version.

Do not discount the durability of this small 2mm depron version. On the second flight of the MMFX pictured in this thread I was involved in a mid-air with a much larger plane which had to be 20 ounces or more. The planes became tangled and crashed to the floor. Expecting the little micro to be totalled I was pleased to see that a little scotch tape and few drops of foam safe CA were all that was needed to put it back in the air for 10 more flights that evening, which did include a few more collisions. This is the same plane that Ashleigh flew in Toledo.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:12 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,245 Posts
I thought I would post a few photos of the underside. With this not being an AS3X equiped receiver it's position is not critical. I need to tidy up the servo wires but when I built it I was a bit anxious to fly it so I didn't take the time to clean it up. .8mm carbon is used for the struts and bracing and 1mm carbon for the pushrods.

I know not everyone cares to fly 3d so as soon as the weather gives us an opportunity I plan to shoot a couple videos of sport and pattern style flying with it to give a better impression as to the extensive flight envelope it has. Stay tuned.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,547 Posts
Looks good, Greg!

Any news on when it'll be available? Got a stryker brick and some servos looking for a home.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot