HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 01:25 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Ya ya ya.... I remember that, only it's not just the wind stopped the wind suddenly change direction while in a slow profile.
the moment it gets mushy or start to drop I'm back on the throttle if in gusting conditions. In fact gusting conditions I don't do anything slow because with gusts are variable wind direction changes.

That's why I wondered why you said we said this never stalls.
Not never stalls - crawls before it stalls - meaning it slows down considerably before stalling.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 02:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
12,155 Posts
I didn't think there was enough 'info' to decide on the definite cause, but it looks to be going too slow.
Lots of quite large surface deflections, so I guess the stabiliser was just doing it job - but I wouldn't know what pilot inputs were put into that too.
You might find a stabiliser is a NEGATIVE as you approach stall - because it will 'cover' the signs, but it will also USE surfaces that promote a stall anyway. The Ailerons - the downward corrections.
So you are flying along, getting towards too slow.... the stabiliser is keeping things going fine,WHILE it can.... then it all appears suddenly once it CAN'T help you out anymore.
And I guess the Rudder input being the final spanner int he works at that point....

So the main reason.... too slow.....

-----
You can definitely land these things in 'stock; form... weight.... but this all comes back into why I have more weight in all aircraft.
It is not only to get more realistic inertias, but it is also to prevent flying them like a "leaf".
You start with a plane that is too light, thus has too much lift, this means you have to fly much slower to even descend - that is ok in stall terms as it has a lower stall speed anyway - but it lets you 'float' planes in, whereas more mass MUST be flown in more 'properly. Must have more AoA, must use some power, otherwise any total dead-stick approach - which are usually done to lose speed, instead of using AoA, and is not truly as good as an AoA approach - will not slow enough and ROCKET through.
So what I end up doing is a zero throttle short period, where it just 'flies down' on prior airspeed and potential energy, thus FLIES well above stall speed whilst descending nose down. Then somewhere down the approach path you transition from no throttle (might have added a bit earlier - plane/manner dependent) to low throttle WHILST you bring it to more AoA. Typically the descent speed is not far off an amount that you can add in the AoA bit by bit, and the balance of speed loss can be tied in to the AoA increase in a very good balance - so the plane is descending the same line as it was nose down, but moving bit by bit from nose down to AoA.
It works well.
You CAN do that exact same thing with a light model BUT because it is light you have to fly SLOWER - which will get more wind affected - and be more ginger on the AoA transition as it will CLIMB instead, much easier than more mass does.
So then people are cruising around very slow from way out, to lose speed in a plane that flies 'too well' with too much lift, coming around base legs very slow = what occurred to you.
But as mentioned you CAN still fly it in, down the base leg and turn to final approach, and THEN do the AoA transition - so that could still be done with the lighter model. It is just more finicky to get right.

Leave the AoA portion until LATER... come over, and down off the trees with whatever low throttle is required... even dead stick.. that is not important. What IS important is to be FLYING at all times until final. I mean nose down, at a speed clearly above stall speed and you would never even get near that stall speed! Once right at the edge of clear of the trees, or possible even a bit sooner IF you are straight already, THEN begin AoA transitioning. The light plane will need a quite SMALL Pitch build up, so as NOT to CLIMB instead! You almost certainly won't need ANY power until it is closer to nose level, or even a bit higher AOA than that (it is speed and descent angle dependent of course) - so you are doing a balancing/transition of raising Pitch, slowing the plane, then at some point also adding power to maintain flying speed. All three in unison.

Because you came around already starting to slow, level to nose up, and that is a fair way away to SEE clearly, you are at high risk of what happened. Leave that high demand portion UNTIL it is straight and closer - you can still fit it in! Via AoA increase you can slow WAY down with time to spare. As the AoA increases the drag increases, and it is all 'exponential'.... so you are getting more and more 'braking' result, and you can tailor that to suit your runway/environment.
It will take time to get that right, but the only DOWNSIDE is landing too fast! Not stalling ever! So you are improving your process coming from a SAFE direction, not an unsafe one!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Last edited by PeterVRC; Today at 02:11 AM.