HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:34 PM
Joined Feb 2002
34 Posts
Help me figure out this swap meet zagi

Hello!

I bought a very used zagi 400X at a swap meet for 25 bux including motor and two servos. The plastic was broken so I bought a new one.

I'm now trying to build it up. I have a 25 amp ESC, hitec 555 and a 1400 Mah 8 cell from eflightpacks.

Can any of you answer these questions?

Should I solder the wires to the motor before mounting it via zip tie to the plastic?

Which way should the motor spin? Assuming the prop is on with the writing to the back ... or is that wrong too?

Where should it balance?

Any hints?

Here is a picture. Rough, I know ... believe it or not, this thing WILL fly!
rc_crasher is offline Find More Posts by rc_crasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:42 PM
Formerly CA now Missouri
Joined Sep 2001
555 Posts
If you are looking at the prop....(at the back of the motor) it should spin clockwise.... and the prop should have the writing toward the front of the motor...

You should really check out www.yourzagi.com (the best info I've seen on flying wings!)

Hope this helps!

saint152 is offline Find More Posts by saint152
Old Jun 29, 2002, 12:08 AM
Santa Paula, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
109 Posts
Best mods for the Zagi 400 and X

Hi rc_crasher,

Don't follow any instructions that place the receiver in the nose in front of the battery. This is a big mistake. I put the receiver on the little shelf between the battery and the motor. I put the speed control under the motor and melted a couple of small holes for the wires to go through the plastic right under the solder lugs on the motor. I wrapped the speed control in tape then in aluminum foil. I put Goop glue on the bottom of the battery tray up towards the nose. This really makes it strong and keeps it from cracking in all but the worst of the comming hard landings!. I cut the ouside edge of the elevons at an angle so the winglets won't hit them if you happen to tip stall. About an inch and a half on the rear edge of the elevon cut back to the winglet. I made a little rudder like appendage from coroplast and taped it to the bottom of the wing right under the motor. This protects the prop when landing in grass and gives you something to hang on to when launching. It is just a 4 inch by 2 inch square coroplast taped to the bottom of the wing with another triangle piece with the pointy side towards the front glued with Goop sticking straight down. It is just about a half inch longer than the prop is when the prop is straight down. I put a couple of pieces of one inch duct tape on the leading edge and use the same to tape on the little rudder thing. This really makes the wing last longer and survive those head on collisions with the soccor goal posts I fly under all of the time. Happy flying!
ZagiArt is offline Find More Posts by ZagiArt
Old Jun 29, 2002, 01:13 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
Re: Help me figure out this swap meet zagi

Congrats on getting a deal on a Zagi. I wish I had flea markets around here that sold used planes!

To answer your questions:

Should I solder the wires to the motor before mounting it via zip tie to the plastic?
Yes! Solder joints will give you the best and strogest connection between your ESC and your motor. I always line up the motor and ESC, then cut the wires and solder away from the plane. You can mount the motor first, but be careful around the plastic with the hot soldering pencil. When figureing how much wire you need between the ESC and the motor, don't forget to double over the ESC wires and tie wrap them. check out this link to see that pic of what i'm talking about. Scroll down to the 4th pic to see what i'm talking about.

Which way should the motor spin?
The - on the ESC should be soldered to the motor connection with the red dot by it. This will cause the motor to spin the right way for a pusher plane. (which is backward)

Assuming the prop is on with the writing to the back ... or is that wrong too?
You are correct. If you are looking at the plane with the front pointed away from you, and the prop shaft right in front of you, the writing should be facing you. That confused me.... Uh, the writing on the prop faces away from the motor. Yea, that's it. Oh, heck! Scroll down to the 10th pic and look. Just pull the black spinner off of the prop and stick it in the other side. When you push the prop on, hold the motor with both hands and really push it hard. When you think it's all the way on, push some more. It really slides much farther on that shaft than you think.

Where should it balance?
8 inches back from the tip of the nose of the plane. If your a little nose heavy for your first flight, that's ok. Better nose heavy than tail heavy to start out with.

You have to check out http://www.yourzagi.com

Let us know how she flies!
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
Old Jun 29, 2002, 03:51 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Which way should the prop go on in a pusher plane . . . ?

This is a question I hear a lot from people, so I decided to create a diagram to help them visualise the situation.

A further point, about relating 'writing on prop' to 'direction prop is facing':

Quote:
Originally posted by saint152
the prop should have the writing toward the front of the motor...
Quote:
Originally posted by ArcherAce
If you are looking at the plane with the front pointed away from you, and the prop shaft right in front of you, the writing should be facing you.
It depends which prop you use: the supplied Gunther prop has the writing on the back, whilst most other (read: expensive) props, such as the Aeronaut Electrics, have the writing on the front.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Ben C

P.S. If anyone wants to use the image again, you are welcome to, so long as you keep my name at the bottom. Thanks.
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
Old Jun 29, 2002, 04:01 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
The easiest way to determine which way a prop goes is to simply look at the airfoil of the prop. It has a leading and trailing edge, just like a wing. Instead of getting hung up on things like the writing on the prop, just do the obvious and THINK! After looking at a few props, it becomes very easy to see if it is a tractor or a pusher, and which way it needs to rotate.

Randy
Randy S is offline Find More Posts by Randy S
Old Jun 29, 2002, 04:11 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Wouldn't like to meet you on a dark night . . .
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
Old Jun 30, 2002, 03:00 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
Someone that looks like that would *HAVE* to rely on their brains!
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce