HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2001, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2001
46 Posts
Lite stik - DuskStik

Can I use all the hardware from a Lite Stik
(motor, servo, esc) and if i buy a DuskStik later on, put them in it?
By the way how much is a DuskStik Kit?
byebyeplane is offline Find More Posts by byebyeplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2001, 06:00 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2001
635 Posts
Yes, you can use the hardware from the LiteStik on the Duskstik. The current price is $47 for the kit. See www.mountainmodels.com
tom_yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by tom_yellowblue
Old Jul 19, 2001, 08:49 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
How much money do you have budgeted to spend on your first aircraft?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 19, 2001, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2001
46 Posts
around 180-240 bucks
byebyeplane is offline Find More Posts by byebyeplane
Old Jul 20, 2001, 08:07 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Your first aircraft can be one of the most expensive because you need to buy everything -- aircraft kit w/motor, ESC, radio, receiver, servos, battery charger, battery packs, etc., etc. The second aircraft can be a lot less expensive as long as it will use most of the same equipment as your first.

Your $240 is probably just barely enough for buying everything that you need. The Lite Stik only costs about $25. But a minimal radio pack (Hitec Focus III FM with receiver and servos) is going to run you about $100. A modest charger, a couple of battery packs and an ESC will cost about another $100. Really, a good charger that will serve your needs for many years would cost $100 or more by itself.

The hard choice for a beginner is to try to guess whether or not you will stick with e-flight for a few weeks, a few years or a lifetime. The longer you think you'll be in it, the better equipment you should try to buy up front. If you have any doubts about how long you'll be in it, you have to be careful about spending too much money on equipment that you will not get full use from.

If you have doubts about whether e-flight is just a passing fad for you, or something you really want to stick with, the least expensive beginner option is a Firebird or Firebird XL. For just $100-120, these aircraft kits contain everything you need to fly -- radio, basic charger, battery pack, etc. The upside is that if you lose interest in e-flight in a few weeks or months, you are only out $100-120. The downside is that if you decide to stick with e-flight, none of the Firebird equipment will work on future aircraft.

My best advice to you is to read a lot of the messages here on the E Zone, especially in the Training Area and Slow Flyers sections, to see what others in your position have done, and what they'd do differently if they had it to do over. The single most important thing before spending a nickle of your money is to take your time in trying to understand yourself enough to be able to guess whether you are more likely to be a short-term or long-term e-flyer.

[This message has been edited by Dave Hederich (edited 07-20-2001).]
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 20, 2001, 11:35 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Dave is exactly right!!! I have 2 firebird xls. While not considered a slowflyer, alot of times I just buzz around at half throttle.
This plane has taught me a few things about rc flight. 1st, its a little harder than I thought and, clear packing tape and 5 minute epoxy are "must" have items! I currently have the firebird xl and a sky scooter pro that I have added the gearbox and 9x6 prop.
I plan on interchanging the rx and esc on the next few planes I get to keep costs down.
Just get a kit that has the servos and motor.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit