HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
79 Posts
Help!
Hangar 9 P51 PTS

Just made the jump from flying electrics to nitro. I have a Hangar 9 P51 progressive trainer. Currently I am flying with the flaps in their normal position however I have the removable wing droops on.
When flying at full throttle the plane flies straight and is very easy to handle. However when flying at half throttle or below it starts to veer to the left. Does it just need some right trim or is there something else possibly going on.
If you look at my video, notice when I drop the throttle she starts to veer to the left. Any help will be appreciated. At the end she ran out of fuel forcing a
bad landing.

Hangar 9 P51 Second Flight (4 min 30 sec)
ebelling1 is offline Find More Posts by ebelling1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:19 PM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
554 Posts
From your description and what I could tell from the video, it looks as though there is a bit too much right thrust in the engine as it yaws left when throttle is reduced. Also the nose drops quickly when the throttle is reduced, so it may also not have enough down thrust. Reduce the right thrust just a bit, if you have a 10" diameter prop, measure from the top of the vertical stab to the prop tips with the prop level and see what the difference is. Look for about 3/16"-1/4" difference from side to side. Turning the prop so you are measuring from the same blade on both sides helps insure consistent results here. Once the side thrust issue is addressed you can work on the up/down thrust. Test fly each adjustment and make changes gradually.
Trim adjustments to rudder and elevator will have to be made when thrust changes are made.
whitewolf is offline Find More Posts by whitewolf
Last edited by whitewolf; Dec 09, 2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:35 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,081 Posts
Congrats you have in my opinion one of the worst airplanes ever made. So it is what it is I think white gives you excellent advice but also check that the droops are on the same on both wings.
Trim your airplane to fly straight and level at a bit over half throttle. Good luck
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:36 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
984 Posts
Before you start changing anything on the plane try flying it without those wing droops.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:28 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
Plus one white wolf.
I like this plane and have taught many a guy on this plane. Several guys I know left the droops on even after years of flying this plane.
It's great to play with the flaps.
I do like a 2 bladed prop in a 12/4 size. This in it self keeps the speed down while giving a lot of thrust.
I trim my plane to fly at what ever throttle setting I'm flying at.
Now on your issue your trimming your plane out at a higher speed then when you throttle back the engine is not pulling as hard to the right causing the left rudder trim to turn it.
Provided the plane is built straight, I like to 2 trim my rudder neutral. Then pull a vertical and see which way it pulls and adjust my side thrust from there.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Jun 2012
79 Posts
Thanks guys for the help, if it is not raining this weekend I am going to let a more experience pilot at our club take it up and trim it. I am hoping that is the only issue.
As you may know this plane comes primarily prebuilt from Hangar 9, so I don't know if the build is completely accurate.
I will keep everyone posted.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 03:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
79 Posts
One other thing I just thought of. The person I purchased the plane from said a book fell on the left wing. The control rod for the flap on the left wing was bent and there maybe some slight damage on the inside of the wing. I inspected both wings and they both seemed consistent. He did not think this was going to be an issue with flying the plane.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:36 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,081 Posts
If you had a warped wing or a flap issue then the problem would be worse at high speed not low speed. Unless it is trimmed at high speed to compensate for that problem.
That's why I suggest you re trim
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 19, 2013, 08:52 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,461 Posts
do a lateral balance as well
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50