HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:18 PM
Registered User
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
Thanks guys. I will finally be allowed to play with dolls :-)
Mike John is offline Find More Posts by Mike John
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:37 PM
Steamy laser dude.
SenorNeekers's Avatar
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
246 Posts
People will still give you looks as you cut off an arm though...
SenorNeekers is offline Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:50 AM
Registered User
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Hello SeenorNeekers

Very impressive looking fantail Launch. it looks good flying the Canadian flag of the period. The thin ice on the water in your video is pretty cool too ! I built this same model several years ago, it was my first model boat since I was a kid in the '60s. The boat was a fun build with a great result. I love the look of it. I have how ever , never been happy with the performance of the engine and have just kept it on the shelf. Watching your little video tweaked my interest in this boat again. Yours runs so smoothly ! would you please further explain the mods that you did to your boiler /engine. I'm not sure that I understand the steam dome design or purpose but it really looks cool ! What fuel are you burning ? is another question . I wasn't sure that I was getting sufficient heat from jelled fuel. I experimented with sliding the boiler up and down in the fire box shield to try to find the sweet spot with little change in performance.

I don't know if you ever watch RC TV. I see it on the OLN channel on Saturday mornings. Yesterday the Winnipeg Marine Modellers were high lighted at their new pond location and there were several of these Fantails putting around.

Thanks in advance for any info you send my way. I will try to post a photo of my own little steamer in the future.
Capt. Windypants is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Windypants
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:01 PM
Registered User
steamboatmodel's Avatar
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Windypants View Post
Hello SeenorNeekers

Very impressive looking fantail Launch. it looks good flying the Canadian flag of the period. The thin ice on the water in your video is pretty cool too ! I built this same model several years ago, it was my first model boat since I was a kid in the '60s. The boat was a fun build with a great result. I love the look of it. I have how ever , never been happy with the performance of the engine and have just kept it on the shelf. Watching your little video tweaked my interest in this boat again. Yours runs so smoothly ! would you please further explain the mods that you did to your boiler /engine. I'm not sure that I understand the steam dome design or purpose but it really looks cool ! What fuel are you burning ? is another question . I wasn't sure that I was getting sufficient heat from jelled fuel. I experimented with sliding the boiler up and down in the fire box shield to try to find the sweet spot with little change in performance.

I don't know if you ever watch RC TV. I see it on the OLN channel on Saturday mornings. Yesterday the Winnipeg Marine Modellers were high lighted at their new pond location and there were several of these Fantails putting around.

Thanks in advance for any info you send my way. I will try to post a photo of my own little steamer in the future.
I do not think it is an old Canadian Ensign he is flying, but one of the provincial flags ether Ontario or Manitoba.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:24 AM
Registered User
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
I think you might be right on the flag ! I will clean my glasses and have a closer look. It is a nicer look than 'Pearson' s Dish Rag " ( as my Mom used to call it ) that flies from the stern of my own fantail. It is a very nice looking model and seeing this video and others like it has perked up my interest in getting my steam boat going. It has been quite a time since I have done anything with it, I have gone the way of RC sail but I wish to get mine operational and out on the pond.

Art
Capt. Windypants is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Windypants
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:07 PM
Steamy laser dude.
SenorNeekers's Avatar
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
246 Posts
It is the Canadian Red Ensign, as a matter of fact.

The purpose of the steam dome is just to separate some of the water from the steam. It allows you to add a bit more water to the boiler, and keep it from taking water into the steam lines.

As for fuel, I strongly recommend going to Canadian Tire, and picking up some Coghlan's Fuel Tablets.

They are hexamine (same stuff as esbit) cheap, easy to use, and a reliable burn.
SenorNeekers is offline Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:42 AM
Registered User
steamboatmodel's Avatar
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorNeekers View Post
It is the Canadian Red Ensign, as a matter of fact.

The purpose of the steam dome is just to separate some of the water from the steam. It allows you to add a bit more water to the boiler, and keep it from taking water into the steam lines.

As for fuel, I strongly recommend going to Canadian Tire, and picking up some Coghlan's Fuel Tablets.

They are hexamine (same stuff as esbit) cheap, easy to use, and a reliable burn.
Sorry about the mistake about the Ensign, where did you find one?
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
Steamy laser dude.
SenorNeekers's Avatar
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
Sorry about the mistake about the Ensign, where did you find one?
Regards,
Gerald.
A fellow in my boat club (same guy I bought the kit from, actually) had a bunch of them.

I've forgotten his name and contact info, as well as what he looks like, alas.
SenorNeekers is offline Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2013, 08:44 AM
Registered User
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Thanks Senorneekers and Steamboat.

I will definitely try the fuel tablets that you have described. The CTC store is not far from here.

The flag that adorns my boat although it is not the ensign, was found and printed from a site on the Internet. It was done for me by my ex-wife at a time when she did like me. I am sorry , I don't know what site it was but both sides of the flag were printed with a fold line. It is cut to look like it is blowing in the wind . When I glued it, I put waves in it. It does look pretty cool but I have always thought of trying to source out a flag more appropriate to the period of the boat.
Capt. Windypants is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Windypants
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Midwest fantail launch chum444 Dock Talk 24 Jul 01, 2013 06:55 AM
Sold NIB Midwest Fantail launch with steam engine kit. nero1156 Boats (FS/W) 2 Apr 27, 2013 08:43 PM
Question about Midwest Fantail Launch orenda635 Dock Talk 2 Oct 23, 2005 04:41 AM
ARR fantail launch ebay vett Boats (FS/W) 2 Sep 28, 2004 08:31 PM
Fantail Launch II and Steam Engine rpm3 Boats (FS/W) 0 Aug 03, 2004 10:08 PM