HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Discussion
Noob needs help

I'm planing on building a homemade exoskeleton from scratch, but in order to do so I need some high torque motors. Preferably brushed just to keep the cost low, but I am not sure where to start. I need a motor that can almost assist my leg. A motor that can kinda pull my leg from a creased position to a almost fully extended position. I have almost every thing worked out besides this and one other thing. I have been looking at all kinds of motors, but I'm not sure which ones can handle the weight. Each of my legs weigh approximately 5-6 pounds (I'm 11), I am aware that the amount of turns a motor has usually means more torque, but less rpm and vise versa. Thanks, Nick
HiddenSky is offline Find More Posts by HiddenSky
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Anyone? I really need help
HiddenSky is offline Find More Posts by HiddenSky
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:19 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,127 Posts
Most any motor can be made to work with proper mechanics for the motor. How to select the motor depends on many things. Like what sort of performance do you want out of it. For example a costume type suite that really is for cool factor more than anything else. Some other options could be actual assistance, or heavy lifting. Its really hard to compete with normal muscles on any sort of budget.
Once you decide on a performance level then you can get to a motor selection. You would then need to calculate the power needed to move the weight at the desired speed. From their you could look for a motor that suites those requirements. Next would be figuring out if the mechanics could be made for the motor.
Really could get complicated.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob