HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:50 PM
USA, OR, Grants Pass
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
Question
Can a propeller be shortened

I have never heard or read anything on this subject matter before, so maybe it is something that should not be done. I would like to know if a propeller could be cut a little off the tips to better suit an engine requirement and also get better ground clearance.
A little background on why I am asking, I am putting a Mintor 22 cc gas engine on a Four-Star 120 that I am building. The recommended size prop for the Mintor is 17 X 6 to 17 X 8. I happen to have a couple new Top-Flite Power Point 18 X 6 props that I picked up real cheap at an estate sale. I believe I would not have enough ground clearance for my 4 Star with these props. Looking at the props, it would be very easy to take 1/2" off each tip to make them 17" long. They could be balanced afterward. I'll attach a picture of a prop, and where I propose on making a cut. To me that little bit removed from the tips should not effect the properties of the prop very much. Thanks for any opinions and advice.

Lamar
lamarkeiko is offline Find More Posts by lamarkeiko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:54 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
766 Posts
Just make sure to cut with a Zona saw or other fine cut so it won't splinter, then coat with some nail polish or epoxy (just a little soak in) to waterproof it. I do it to broken tipped Xoar's all the time.
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:29 PM
USA, OR, Grants Pass
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
Thanks for the reply back. I just realized that probably posted in the wrong category. This is electric power talk.
Lamar
lamarkeiko is offline Find More Posts by lamarkeiko