HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:51 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,940 Posts
Nice. How does that Skymaster F-15 fly and more importantly, land? I've heard the 1/9 F-15s can be a good first turbine if built light.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:36 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,506 Posts
They are quite the trainer plane. The EDF version is the same speed flat and level (about 130MPH) as the turbine version. The turbine has better vertical because of the higher thrust. They are pussy cats. Once on final they settle in and don't do anything stupid.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:21 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,940 Posts
Thanks. Good to know.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
3 to 1 Heat shrink tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
there is such a thing as 3 to 1 heatshrink , but mostly in black. should easily slip over the small antennas without major bending.Then use urethane to glue the velcro and it will never come off.
You can get 3 to 1 heat shrink tubing in red, black and clear from Outlaw Hobby Products at a good price. One foot minimum order. I use this and it works good.
xfedex is offline Find More Posts by xfedex
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:15 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
217 Posts
Hi.
Seeing some new transmitters have display on the top half. That makes sense. The neck strap won´t be in the way for the display. The angle is better for viewing as well.
With telemetry on display, it should be in focus during development (yes, I know how danger it is to look at display during flight, but still glance to see how much time left etc.....)

Since you are now looking in to a new backside:
My suggestion is (since moving the display to the upper half of the transmitter is to far out) to do what Graupner did on several desk transmitters, like my MC19.

They offered, as an option, two metal L brackets (Piano wire, spring loaded) to attach to the bottom half, lower chassis. The ends pointing upwards have metal rings for the harness. Also have a look at the antenna transportation solution.
Then nothing is blocking the display.
Doffen24 is offline Find More Posts by Doffen24
Last edited by Doffen24; Jan 15, 2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: adding pictures..
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
If you are going to design your own skinny TX, I suggest where you add reset push buttons underneath the TX for us thumb fliers, I would love to have push buttons on the bottom side of the TX where my finger tips are anyway. I could see having a push button on each side underneath for my middle finger, this would be great for Landing Gear, bomb drop, and other things like that.
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da RC View Post
If you are going to design your own skinny TX, I suggest where you add reset push buttons underneath the TX for us thumb fliers, I would love to have push buttons on the bottom side of the TX where my finger tips are anyway. I could see having a push button on each side underneath for my middle finger, this would be great for Landing Gear, bomb drop, and other things like that.
you do not need to wait for a TX to come on the market to have a switch or toggle anywhere you like, just a matter of some basic tools and the willpower to
stick a drill through your TX. Threats of voided warranties are a great tool used
by manufacturers to ensure you buy next year's TX, the one with the pushbutton
on the back. Just think on it, how often in your life have you actually needed to
use such a warranty. eg. if one of my Nano RX stops working, do I send it back
for repairs or replacement? no way, in the bin it goes since I would be spending
over twice the cost of the Nano in freight alone.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
Oh I am well aware of voiding warranty. Only days after getting my new $1300 Futaba 12Z I took it apart, and soldered in the XPS universal module on the inside of the TX. and routed the antenna out the top and mounted the XPS antenna there instead. So where does one find small push button switches?
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:58 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,928 Posts
Quote:
buttons on the back of my Tx right where my fingers are located... best mod I've hacked into a case, will be a standard feature for me from now on. I used momentary push-buttons and black Sugru to hold them in place and make it look nice. the most I could ask for would be extra locations on the board to plug these switches in rather than having to decomission other switches, but I wont complain either way.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Oh I am well aware of voiding warranty. Only days after getting my new $1300 Futaba 12Z I took it apart, and soldered in the XPS universal module on the inside of the TX. and routed the antenna out the top and mounted the XPS antenna there instead. So where does one find small push button switches?
search for the C&K components.range 8020 momentary snap action pushbuttons. top quality! they have a range of coloured caps that fit on top of the switch. not usually stocked by small electronics places. try Mouser, Farnell or similar.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:25 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
217 Posts
Hi Jim .
Did you have the time to look at my suggestion at post #50.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=50

Beside my MC19 with XPS, I have a Spectrum with Telemetry. It has with a neck strap in front of the display,it annoys me (in general also) a lot
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:35 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,506 Posts
It's possible to construct a wrap-around type bracket that gives you the same thing as the Graupner fold down arms. I have seen these for the JR9303 and Futaba 9C.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
[QUOTE=Doffen24;23808725My suggestion is (since moving the display to the upper half of the transmitter is to far out) to do what Graupner did on several desk transmitters, like my MC19.

They offered, as an option, two metal L brackets (Piano wire, spring loaded) to attach to the bottom half, lower chassis..[/QUOTE]
yes it is a great idea. I have that on my MC24. Only problem I have with them is a weakness in the bottom back corner where the 'L' shaped wire exits.
In retracted state, it is impossible to rotate the wire down as it is held firmly in a groove. good idea, BUT the strength of the plastic in that corner is insufficient to hold when the wire is forced down, such as when the neckstrap is caught into something as you walk along. Happened three times to me. Requires a new side panel each time. Now I have a stock of left and right side panels, just in case. what I have done now is to drill around the wire in 3 axis and insert carbon rods. No problems for the last couple of years. ergo; original design fault (my opinion)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:36 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
yes it is a great idea. I have that on my MC24. Only problem I have with them is a weakness in the bottom back corner where the 'L' shaped wire exits.
In retracted state, it is impossible to rotate the wire down as it is held firmly in a groove. good idea, BUT the strength of the plastic in that corner is insufficient to hold when the wire is forced down, such as when the neckstrap is caught into something as you walk along. Happened three times to me. Requires a new side panel each time. Now I have a stock of left and right side panels, just in case. what I have done now is to drill around the wire in 3 axis and insert carbon rods. No problems for the last couple of years. ergo; original design fault (my opinion)
These trouble you have, I do not have. It´s spring loaded, and flexes nice when turned around.
I have not notice any degrade on my MC19, which is about 7-8 years old, but I will take a look. I do not have loose panels though. Only upper and lower half's.

Folded, they fit nicely into the moulded carbon lookalike ¨desk bay¨ with armrest and pockets if you prefer that.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:22 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2008
22 Posts
New transmitter

Those of us that use a tray would not like switches on the tx back. I love my 9C with slide switches on upper sides. Right one is brakes and left is flaps. Both can be activated with thumbs on
the sticks. I only need to move off the throttle stick to do the retracts.
Some of us older folks also need a louder timer. I use an external talking timer attached to my tray. Can't fly my jets without it!!!!!!
JMO
Dave
david101 is offline Find More Posts by david101