HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:09 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,624 Posts
Doug,
The motors are Turnigy SK3 5055-430 KV. They weigh 14 oz each. I could run on the 5s-5000s w/o going full throttle. But we won't know how the 4 bladed are going to fly it until it actually goes up. Honestly, I have the absolute perfect sweet spot on these motors on 6s with the 16x12 two bladed props. 55A and 1250 watts each, flies the Stinger beautifully. Nut is speaking from experience, he was on the sticks.
Same with the 1/8th scale A-1, couldn't ask for anymore. so I'm really leaning on staying with them, at least I know how it will fly. Have a lot of time and blood in this thing, would hate to screw it up.
Plus, I have some real high $$$ props for static display.
We finally have some sun but cold temps so I still can't get the darned middle section sealed. That's all that's left and then I'm going to try to get a another taxi video of it( with the four blade props).
After that she goes to the ceiling waiting on SEFF.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:10 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,460 Posts
Merry Christmas to you and your family, Hans. I hope you also enjoy a blessed New Year.

Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Joachim View Post
Merry christmas to everyone!!

This table will be dirty in less than one hour.

HJ
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:25 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
With as much time and effort as you have invested, I'd suggest going to the SK3 5055-320 motors, same weight, same mounting. You could likely run them on 6s too. I tested my 5055-320 with a Graupner 16/12/ 3 blader it shows 54a and 1245watts on 6s. The motor stayed cold for the tests.
Your 16/10/4 blade would be pretty close to the same imho. If amps showed too high (above 65), dropping back to 5s would solve the issue. A 15 second static test for motor heat would assure me the motor can handle the loads. fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:59 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,165 Posts
Who's flying her at SEFF
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:24 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,624 Posts
I may go that route yet Doug. I won't have any problem finding a place for these 430 KV motors. Pretty good performance for the price.

John,
Don't know yet. Nut if he makes it.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:03 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,047 Posts
John i know its hard to not use that 4 blader ...man it looks so cool and real! but yeah nut and i have done enough3, 4 and 5 blade vs 2 blade ...and 2 always wins .when i took the 5 blade off of the seafury i had ...you could actully land it ,it was really hard to land on the 5 blade,looked killer and the sound was way cool,if you ever saw a real seafury fly you know what i mean about how cool that 5 blade looks full scale.when we went to 2 blade the plane was almost twice as fast and had killer vert where the 5 blade pooped out ,and i had a big motor kv'd just for the amp draw of the 5 blade.stay with the 2 blade since your flying off of grass you need a bit more thrust anyway.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:01 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,624 Posts
I hear you Roger. Saw some Furys at Reno and some airshows. Pretty awesome.
It really is hard to beat the flight characteristics of both the Stinger and Skyraider. I probably will leave them just as they are.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:53 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,382 Posts
A local owner of air museum had a Sea Fury (laid it down twice, and walked away). We live four miles from the airport and you could hear it when he would get on the throttle to climb out on flights. With the 5 bladed prop, it had a different sound from the other radial engined aircraft he owns. Now he owns and P-63 King Cobra (Air Cobra variant) and it sound different from the radial engined aircraft he owns (a pair of Avenger torpedo bombers, and a pair of A-1 Skyraiders, along with his FOUR (inline engined of course) Mustangs).
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:29 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,047 Posts
the seafury engine had a rotory valve set up and does sound different.most seafurys are being converted over to american motors and a 4 blade prop.i guess there is a shortage of parts ....plus the UK motors all turn the opposite direction of american warbirds . must be nice to own that many warbirds.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:17 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
A local owner of air museum had a Sea Fury (laid it down twice, and walked away). We live four miles from the airport and you could hear it when he would get on the throttle to climb out on flights. With the 5 bladed prop, it had a different sound from the other radial engined aircraft he owns. Now he owns and P-63 King Cobra (Air Cobra variant) and it sound different from the radial engined aircraft he owns (a pair of Avenger torpedo bombers, and a pair of A-1 Skyraiders, along with his FOUR (inline engined of course) Mustangs).
Foo
Damn, poor guy has a rough life doesn't he?

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:41 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,047 Posts
yeah somebody has to do it
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:14 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
AAHHH the joys of having wayyyy too much money and time....
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, MO, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
holy moly...thats too many warbirds for any one person to have. he should be teaching others how to fly them......im sure he'd have a few takers.
how do you keep that many planes in the air....jeezzuss...its mind boggleing how much money "that guy" prolly has/spends on his lil hobby
RDIII is offline Find More Posts by RDIII
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:27 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDIII View Post
holy moly...thats too many warbirds for any one person to have. he should be teaching others how to fly them......im sure he'd have a few takers.
how do you keep that many planes in the air....jeezzuss...its mind boggleing how much money "that guy" prolly has/spends on his lil hobby
I can only think that fooman is talking about John Bagley's "Legacy Flight Museum". I think you will find that several of the aircraft on display, including at least one each of the Mustangs and Skyraiders, actually belong to people other than Mr. Bagley. Still an impressive collection for Mr. Bagley himself no doubt but it pales in comparison to the collections of some other folks. Paul Allen, Dan and Tom Friedkin, Stephen Grey, and Rod Lewis come immediately to mind.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:37 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
A local owner of air museum had a Sea Fury (laid it down twice, and walked away).
I know John Bagley was involved in two serious accidents, one involving a T-28 and the other P-51D "Mormon Mustang". I can't find anything on the Sea Fury accidents however, other than a prop strike incident. If indeed he has walked away from four serious warbird accidents then I would say he is one very lucky gent!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich