HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
Discussion
Goggles with heads-up display

This looks interesting. It's not hard to imagine getting real-time speed data from your onboard radar system right in the goggles. Personally, I would prefer the audio instead as the visual display would be too distracting for me. Still pretty interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-cou...170745770.html
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
bluzharp

As old as the way to Rome!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=32

Not clear to me what a sensor suit does content, thinking about my own "head up display", is it "secret"? Don't tell!

Cees
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
No time to not fly.
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,495 Posts
I would think that having a HUD in your goggles to locate your plane when you lose sight of it would be fantastic. The goggles would pick up an IR signal from the plane and put a targeting box around it. If you lose sight of your plane, just scan the area where it should be and voila.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
I would think that having a HUD in your goggles to locate your plane when you lose sight of it would be fantastic. The goggles would pick up an IR signal from the plane and put a targeting box around it. If you lose sight of your plane, just scan the area where it should be and voila.
You should check out what's available in the FPV forum. Lots of HUD displays, lots of sensors and on board video capability.

Not sure I'd want to see the world whirling around at 400 mph+ speeds every two seconds, but finding your way home after pulling straight up OOS might be interesting.

The gear they're using has been around for a few years now and is pretty solid though I'm sure no one has pulled seventy G's with it yet.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
Heads Up Display is Heads Up Destroy!

Head's Up

Heads up display combined with normal observation as post 1 is different than FPV with a fixed view "out of the plane".

DS willl not be easy with FPV I am afraid, but when trying to present data or information in some kind of head's up display I do have an example of that.

I was glider pilot so I did miss my cotton thread, yaw string while flying model gliders so I did make a slip measurement.
Two bargraphs of both 4 LEDS, on right positions in my cap did inform me how to control the rudder(s). That's possible because it is informative without having to observe this indicator directly.

I also did use the same cap for showing me the variometer measurement of the glider and know real data of climbing and that was NOT possible for me.
Even if you want to check which or the leds is "ON " for a short moment it forces you to observe the bargraph directly, On that moment you can loss you ship, especially flying DS I am afraid .

The white dashes are exactly the distance of my eyes so, when I fly the bargraph is melted together to one indicator.

Cees
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Feb 21, 2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Heads Up Display is Heads Up Destroy!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
Very interesting Taurus.

Where do you get the yaw information?

I did say I was not interested in seeing the world spinning around at 400 mph in 2 second intervals, but the other data in FPV displays is interesting. One of the first Sony video goggles could be set to translucent so could be used while flying by visual contact. Alas, that model is very scarce and nobody makes anything like it today.

I too am a full scale glider pilot, slightly rusty these days. My FPV (not DS) dreams include a working vario (even pellet would be okay) on the instrument panel and yes, a real yaw string on my quarter scale 2-33 if and when I get it finished.

I had a real yaw string on my first FPV model, built before the term FPV was applied. I wanted to call it (FPV) video pilotage, but modelers don't seem to understand the term pilotage as meaning finding your way by visual reference.

Anyway, the topic is DS and heads up displays and the Sony goggle with the see through screen is no more. If Sony ever reintroduced their old stuff it would probably take over the market if they could do it at a reasonable price.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
Pete

The yaw sensor was a small vane "in the air" with two optical slots under the hatch to detect rotation angle needed for research. Not DS proof!

Cees
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2004
6,973 Posts
Here is a shot from my first video equipped glider.

It's from a video frame that's been heavily processed. This was at least a year or two before the term FPV came into use.

I post this just to show the yaw string, which was wool but too stiff for the very low airspeed of this glider. I made a silk floss yaw string, but never got around to recording a video with it.

Pete
RCG Plus Member