HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:23 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
I have ordered a mig 15 from HK and wasn't home when the postman rang my bell. When I came to collect my package today, they had lost it. , I really looked forward to getting my hands on the actual plane. Now I'm in a lost and found procedure with customer service. This can take ages!

If nothing is sorted out tomorrow I'll have a look and see if there is any new stock and I'll order again. I know my postman and he assured me that the packages has been handed over to the collection center. It even says so on the tracking page. I thought I was lucky there wasn't an additional tax fee on it this time... Looks like it is not going to be a good week for me.

I think I'll get the F-86 this time. When the Mig turns up I'll have both. Have fun with yours, I guess I'll be reading about them for a while longer.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:37 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
Gionir - I'm recommending the Mig for starters. Read my review
Thanks mate, I had read your review previously and found it really interesting, the only thing that somehow worries me is the death spiral of the MiG.
I guess the only way to avoid this unpleasant behaviour is to keep the bird at high speed when turning?

I am just now waiting for the R415 rx to come back in stock and I'll place the order!

Cheers!

Giovanni
gionir is online now Find More Posts by gionir
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:01 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,150 Posts
Gio, just don't turn hard. EDF's love nice wide turns - it helps keep the speed up. I second the Mig as the jet of choice.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:23 PM
The stalling italian
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Jan 2011
249 Posts
Aaah, it is such a relief to be able to ask for opinions on the forum. Thanks guys you are amazing.
Cant wait for the lil beast now!

As I am going with the commie bird I think I'll paint it red as seen on the thread. It's going to be a soviet flying emblem! Ha!

-EDIT-
I went back to see who painted his MiG red and..it was you.
Nice job, I think that I'll go bananas on mine and brush the canopy as well.

Then I'll crash of course.
gionir is online now Find More Posts by gionir
Last edited by gionir; Aug 22, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:09 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,027 Posts
Best Battery?

I've done some searching of the thread, but even with the "search" function, it's too hard to find - is there a consensus on best battery for the F-86? I want power but I also want to keep it light, I get the feeling some of the problems people have been having are from too high wing loadings.

Hyperion 2s 450? A small 3s pack? Thanks for your help.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,054 Posts
Don't even consider 2s! Go 3s in the 300-460mAh range. And get a good 10A esc.

http://www.rclipos.com/ThunderPowerPro65C.htm
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
My favourite:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,365 Posts
What kind of AUW are we talking about using 45g-50g battery packs?

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:28 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,054 Posts
121g
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:25 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,114 Posts
Maidened the Sabre today and put 3 good flights on it. This is the one I put proper differential in as the way it was from the factory it worked backwards. I put in about twice as much up as down ail. Took three hand launches by a buddy to get it trimmed out properly. Once dialed in, it would do consecutive rolls and loops. You don't dare take your eyes off of it though. Gets small real quick. I'd say it was in the 40 to 50 mph range. This is on HK generic 430 ma cells soldered together into two cell packs I did up about 3 yrs ago. Timer on the DX8 is set for 4 mins. and has about the same power at the end of the 4 mins. This also has the new HK 4 channel rcvr with the proper connectors to the servos. Range test was the usual 80 ft. with no problems. With very little down aileron with the differential I think helps with less drag in the airflow. Test flew the Mig too but was disappointed with it as it didn't take much to get it into the wing snap and spin. I'm going to do the same thing with it with the diff. as I think dropping the ail. for the turn is causing the tipstall. I'll let you know how it works out, as it may or may not work.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:32 AM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Gord - wow sounds good. this is 3S correct? Define "differential" please.
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:59 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,114 Posts
Sabre: This is on 2 cell 430 Zippy batts. Diff. is where the ails go up further than they go down, preferably about 2 to 1. On a normal setup,the down going ail. is operating a high pressure area, compared to the up ail.,therefore more effective and acting like an airbrake trying to make the plane turn towards the down ail. It's called adverse yaw. Only happens on planes with flat bottomed/curved upper airfoiled wings, not symetrical wings. I can take a pic of the servo setup if you like. I should have flown it with the normal setup first, to see the difference.

Gord.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:50 PM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
Gord, I'd like to see a photo of your servo setup.
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:06 PM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
Received my F-86 today. Now I realised I got the 3S 370mAh Turnigy LiPo. Can I use 3S on the standard ESC or will it fry?
And if I have to replace the ESC how do I go about that? The wing is glued in place.
tylev is offline Find More Posts by tylev
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
Finland, Kaarina
Joined Jul 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
Gord - wow sounds good. this is 3S correct? Define "differential" please.
I learned this a week ago. Here explained in detail.
tylev is offline Find More Posts by tylev
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:52 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,114 Posts
Not very good pics so I hope they help. I put a black penline on the 1/32 ply halfmoon to show where the servo arm is. I never liked the links on the ends of the pushrods so, being I had to make them longer I put Z bends on both ends. I take the servo arm off to remove and install them. The V bend in the wire is to fine tune the length of the pushrod by moving the V closer or further apart with pliers. I do this with all my planes.In the rear view, you can see the difference in the throw.

Gord.