Old Mar 04, 2016, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by cyeh01
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Discussion
T-peg shenanigans

Launch practice today. Was recording video too and this happened. A couple sessions ago I heard a small tick on launch. Couldn't find the problem. Not a peep out of the plane for 2 more sessions. Then this happened. Yes I know I put more pressure on the bottom side vs. the top side. Longer fingers. Suggestions with how to proceed much appreciated!

What's the best way to share the video of this actual launch? You can critique my launch and tell me what I was doing wrong

T peg destroyed on launch (0 min 24 sec)
cyeh01 is offline Find More Posts by cyeh01
Last edited by cyeh01; Mar 05, 2016 at 02:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2016, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by biesmans
I' ve got a plane to catch...
Joined Feb 2015
47 Posts
Cut it flush withe the wing and install a new one trough the base of the old one.

Kind of like in this video:
V2 DLG build Part 4 - Throwing blade, aileron pushrods (3 min 36 sec)

There are curved blades available too, if you like the feel more...
biesmans is offline Find More Posts by biesmans
Last edited by biesmans; Mar 04, 2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2016, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Added video to the original post.
Last edited by cyeh01; Mar 04, 2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2016, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by pierre39
Joined Sep 2014
109 Posts
Your launch is all good !
If you want launch higher shorten your last foot step . your body need to be straigt for be more powerfull and quick .
I cant explain your peg break I never break one on Vibe Cx4 stream but I break one on blaster 3 exactly like you , I flew all a contest the day before with full ballast (430 g ) and I break the peg when I launch without any ballast .
pierre39 is online now Find More Posts by pierre39
Old Mar 04, 2016, 04:24 PM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre39 View Post
Your launch is all good !
If you want launch higher shorten your last foot step . your body need to be straigt for be more powerfull and quick .
I cant explain your peg break I never break one on Vibe Cx4 stream but I break one on blaster 3 exactly like you , I flew all a contest the day before with full ballast (430 g ) and I break the peg when I launch without any ballast .
The last step is the left foot coming out? I will give that a try! I am currently throwing a lot like a baseball pitcher steps out with that left foot on the release.

The peg is/was a Snipe T-peg. I'll probably revert to the stock Flitz blade. It's clear that the peg delamitated from the top finger (index finger) meaning there was excess pressure on the bottom finger (middle finger) which pulls the skin off the carbon upward.
Old Mar 04, 2016, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
8,427 Posts
I found that launching from between middle and ring fingers works much better than first and middle fingers....

IOW... I launch Mr. SPOCK Vulcan style rather than by V for victory style.

The last knuckles on the ring and middle fingers are closer to same length that first and middle fingers are.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 04, 2016, 04:41 PM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
I found that launching from between middle and ring fingers works much better than first and middle fingers....

IOW... I launch Mr. SPOCK Vulcan style rather than by V for victory style.

The last knuckles on the ring and middle fingers are closer to same length that first and middle fingers are.
Jim I will try that. I agree that the finger lengths there make more sense than index/middle. It's how archers do it too AFAIK?
Old Mar 04, 2016, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
8,427 Posts
It takes a few throws to get the feel of it, but I greatly benefit from the Vulcan stlye. I have better feedback feel of the angle.

Go slow, it it does not work for you... don't use it be sure that you are not twisting the wing tip.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 04, 2016, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by kelchm
Matt Kelch
United States, PA, Littlestown
Joined Jan 2015
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Yep, this is exactly how I threw from day one. Certainly seems to work better for me, though I have switched back for some of asymmetrical throwing pegs that are designed for a longer bottom finger.
kelchm is offline Find More Posts by kelchm
Old Mar 04, 2016, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2005
1,665 Posts
Launch is improving for sure. Pay attention to the foot work and find what is comfortable for you and allows the motion to be fluid and quick.

I launch with my scratcher and middle fingers most of the time (sometimes on quick turns I get middle and ring which feels a little weird but does not effect launch height as far as I can tell). My middle finger is much longer than the ones next to it (too much exercise maybe ) so I install my pegs at an angle to account for that. The angle is such that the lower part of the peg is closer the wing root than the top. May want to consider this as you repair.

Stock flitz peg is rock solid and comfortable. You will like it.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Mar 05, 2016, 01:21 AM
Joined Nov 2015
53 Posts
Awesome, thanks Cory. I'm discussing with Gregg and coming up with a game plan since this will affect both Flitzs. I have the stock Flitz peg in my hands and I can see how it can work nicely after rounding off the edges.
Old Mar 05, 2016, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Carboweave, Ask For It By Name
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2009
1,925 Posts
I remember reading some time ago about Snipe pegs delam'ing. Some folks were wrapping Kevlar thread around them to prevent his from happening. Look in the loooooong Snipe thread.

Not that I can launch well, but I know what a good launch looks like. As said above just shorten your last step a little. The rest look great.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Mar 06, 2016, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by gtrbaby
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
1,195 Posts
ALWAYS wrap your Snipe peg..... this has been covered off a lot - once you wrap them - you'll have a hard time breaking them -
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Mar 07, 2016, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by ronmeister
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby View Post
ALWAYS wrap your Snipe peg.....
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister