HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Antenna for Paralinx Arrow

Hi. I'm trying to use my Paralinx Arrow Plus for wireless HD video transmission from my multirotor to ground. I tried Lightbridge and it has latency 0,5 sec which is bad for my purposes (focus pulling and framing of video). Arrow works great, but has very limited range. So, I wonder, maybe it is possible to add an antenna to transmitter and to receiver to increase the range. I already added an antenna to my receiver, it had connection port inside. But can't attach it to the transmitter. May be someone, who is great in electronics may suggest me where can I solder my antenna connector. I'm attaching the picture of transmitter board.

I tried to find a connector to fit into antenna ports, but nothing. I contacted Paralinx about these 2 connection antenna ports on the board (see pic) and they told me it is not a port for antenna connection.

And last, what is your opinion, will addition of antennas increase the range in this case?

Thank you.
re4mat0r is offline Find More Posts by re4mat0r
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:38 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,056 Posts
I believe paralinx work at 5GHz right? removing the SMD antennas and soldering small coax pigtail at their place is feasible and should definitely increase range. The coax core should solder at the antennas connections and shield somewhere on the back as close as possible.

-Hugo
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Oct 31, 2014, 05:29 PM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
And what if I will remove these not functional conectors and will solder pigtails on their place, what do you think, will it work? And should I disconnect SMD antennas then? Or it will be better to remove antennas and connect pigtails there?

And where to connect shield, what do you mean by "on the back as close as possible"?

Thanks!
re4mat0r is offline Find More Posts by re4mat0r
Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:23 PM
Joined Feb 2014
48 Posts
Those connectors are called SMP connectors. You can order them online. I'm not sure if they are actually for external antennas, but the antenna trace does seem to run through them.

I would just remove the SMD antennas a try solder some coax in their place. It probably won't work very well, but feel free to try.
sscott.za is offline Find More Posts by sscott.za
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:56 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,056 Posts
I would need an angled close-up to be sure they are SMP...
I think it is best to remove the antenna and connect pigtails there, connect the shield on the back (most of the back should be a ground plane that you need to scrape some)

-Huo
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Nov 23, 2014, 03:17 PM
Huntsville, AL
Joined Nov 2009
135 Posts
any luck? how did the mod work out? Can you provide some additional pictures including that of the receiver opened up where you added the antenna connector?
crash821 is offline Find More Posts by crash821