SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:02 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,171 Posts
Question
Gyro question

I'm building a radio controlled ball. The ball will be steered by a servo swinging a counterweighted pendulum back and forth to move the low CG. I decided to use a gyro to help counteract the sure-to-be wobble.

I bought two Detrum DY192 heading-hold gyros. I'm new to gyros since I never really got into helicopters. The gyro seems to counteract the roll input I give it, however, the servo doesn't have travel in one direction. It seems the gyro corrects to its "zero" and left stick gives 90* travel and right stick 0*. The servo is one I had on hand but it's an analog, a Hitec HS-625MG.

Any ideas why this is happening?

The gyros were only $10. So, I am not out much if they don't work.

Thanks
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:43 AM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
539 Posts
I wanted to do something like this once.

I don't think you'll be able to get much control from a simple servo setup. You'll need continuous rotation and a gimbal for steering.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Oct 07, 2014, 01:18 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,171 Posts
I've seen video on youtube and an instructional how-to on a website. Should work. I'm not using the servo for the drive, but a gearmotor. Servo is just for steering.

Anyone else wanna help?

Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow