SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:17 AM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Data
New Stiffer Version of GemFan GF6030 Propeller

New GemFan GF6030 "grey" propeller quick flex test. GemFan has released this new version of the 6030 propeller made of stiff grey plastic that appears to be fiber reinforced. Thrust tests will be posted soon.

I'll test with
SunnySky 2204-2300Kv: 3s
Cobra 2204-1960Kv: 3S, 4S
T-Motor 2206-1200Kv: 4S, 5S, 6S

The first version of this propeller did not fare well on the high revving mini motors; I tested a while back with a T-Motor-1200Kv. I emailed GemFan customer support letting them know that we, the mini-multimotor enthusiasts needed good, stiffer 6" props that had as good performance as the venerable GF5030 2 and 3-blade props.

I was gladly surprised when I received a reply from Carol at GemFan asking me if I wanted to try the new version of the GF6030 propellers, I agreed and after a few days a package with plenty of 6030 props showed up at my door.

From first impression, the new version's stiffer material looks and feels 1st grade. The finish is as good as the 5030's and they're easily balanced with a small piece of tape. The airfoils of the propeller remain unchanged.

It's great to see a company in our hobby respond quickly to customer requests/suggestions. Some of us voiced the need of a less-flexible 6030 prop material and GemFan was quick to release a stiffer version of the 6x3" propeller.

Here's a "quick" flex test. It takes twice the force to attain the same deflection on the stiffer prop.

New GemFan GF6030 Propeller Flex Test (1 min 0 sec)


EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jun 17, 2014 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:17 AM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Got some numbers on the new version of GF6030.
Prop performed very well. I like it ! However, I still need to test on a flight and see how it does.

Summarized data is presented on the attached table. I've included other prop thrust figures for comparison.
I'm pleasantly surprised at the improvement of the GF6030 "grey" prop. At 619g of thrust/ 10.6A current on 3S for the ever so popular SunnySky X2204S 2300Kv motors(SS2204) . It seems as though this is a bespoke propeller for the ever so capable SS2204. At 4S voltages, the very well designed airfoil really shines. 934g of thrust - that's nearly 1.00Kg!! The SS2204 got mildly warm to the touch. I couldn't say how long the SS2204 motor windings would stay intact at these voltages and current draw. Until enough test flights at that voltage level are done by some adventurous pilot, we'll know the answer to that. Please anyone trying that 4S setup, let us know here.

The prop also performed very well on the Cobra 2204 1960Kv motor (C2204). On 4S however, it just barely exceeds the recommended continuous current of 12A. This of course is on the bench test. On actual flight the motors won't see the same currents. Static and dynamic prop thrust/power requirements have considerable variations. The motors unload on flight so I would imagine the GF6030 should be ok for 4S use on the C2204 motors. 815g of thrust on the static test point to a fun setup on a mini quad, or maybe a 6" prop capable hexa.

I had a couple of instances where I noticed some thrust tests to be rather low, then re-calibrated ESC and thrust increased. Don't know why that was the case, so I set throttle to 100% when connecting battery and then move to 0% once ESC boots up.

I'll update this thread with info on durability, crash worthiness/survivability, and how well balance it spins on my FPV-Reconn RD230 mini quad, (or please, if someone else gets to try these props let us know)



New GemFan 6x3 test T-Motor 2206-1200Kv 4S-6S (0 min 52 sec)


New GemFan 6x3 prop test SunnySky X2204S-2300Kv 3S-4S (1 min 9 sec)


New GemFan 6x3 prop test Cobra 2204-32 -1960Kv 3S-4S (0 min 33 sec)
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:57 AM
Warpquad: practice, practice!
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX View Post
Here's a "quick" flex test. It takes twice the force to attain the same deflection on the stiffer prop.
Excellent idea on the flex test, EngineerX! Your setup with the ruler and scale seems to work well and will be easy to replicate consistently. Good editing with the side-by-side video too.

Following up on Soma's SunnySky 2204 thrust test, a lot of people have been thrust-testing various motor and prop combinations. However, nobody to date has quantified prop flex. Measuring prop flex should be part of everybody's standard testing procedure!
Brainstorm is online now Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 03:05 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm View Post
Excellent idea on the flex test, However, nobody to date has quantified prop flex. Measuring prop flex should be part of everybody's standard testing procedure!
Thanks!
Yes, it's a good indicator of how well the airfoil can resist bending. Hopefully the new stiffer version performs, I've been looking for a high-efficiency 6" prop to increase flight times on my 5S RD230 mini H-quad.
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jun 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 01:34 AM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Finally got around to testing in flight. So far, I like them. Good response and good efficiency.
As far as durability is concerned, these props have no problem with the "usual" prop strike on landings. They have survived a couple of crashes as well, but if the blade bends more than about 30*, it will brake at the hub. This, I think is common for this type of plastic (similar to APC props grey plastic) It'll resist flex, yet it can bend up to about 30*, but at extreme angle of bend it will fail. I think the material used is not yet the best. Its stiffness is good but GF needs to improve the brittle/weakness at the hub/blade joint. Can't have it all I guess, the durability/resilience of the GF5030 and the mandatory stiffness for a 6-inch prop.

Hopefully GemFan continues to improve this prop and looks into using fiber-reinforced plastics. All prop companies should realize the mini market is one of the fastest-growing markets so there's lots of money to be made with good quality products of course. If the FAA has its way, FPV enthusiasts will be doing quite a lot of clandestine parking lot flying and will need the proper propeller for that.

GemFan GF6030 test 5S (1 min 26 sec)
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jul 01, 2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Flight-tested props
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 02:52 AM
Registered User
deno6031's Avatar
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Oct 2011
879 Posts
Thank you engineer for the tests

As far as I understand the gemfans have a little higher pitch on the prop when compared to hqprop, like the gf5030's were acting like 5035 hqprops. So it means the gf6030 is somewhere between hq6030 and hq6045, which gives us a new alternative on setups

By the way, how does your flight times when using higher voltage on a mini, is there a big difference? Which escs are you using for that?
deno6031 is online now Find More Posts by deno6031
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:02 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno6031 View Post
Thank you engineer for the tests

As far as I understand the gemfans have a little higher pitch on the prop when compared to hqprop, like the gf5030's were acting like 5035 hqprops. So it means the gf6030 is somewhere between hq6030 and hq6045, which gives us a new alternative on setups

By the way, how does your flight times when using higher voltage on a mini, is there a big difference? Which escs are you using for that?
Right, that could be the case, GF has a higher pitch or it could be the airfoil is a little more efficient in cutting through the air. Either way, it works well for us as you say, more prop choices to choose from.

The higher voltage powertrain works very well. I get what I consider longer flight times -the main reason I went for the 5S setup- from 1300mAh Nanotecth battery pack I made (only available up to 4S) I'm getting about 12min cruising. I don't want to claim flight times figures yet because I haven't yet flown enough to get average times.
I will update this thread and my T-Motor 1200Kv thread with confirmed flight times once I get more flights. Flying skills have also lots to do with times, my flying skills are just average right now so I don't put lots of demand on power consumption. But I can compare with my Sunnysky 2204 3S BAH mini H-quad (600g) with 1400mAh (Traxxas) battery I get about 7min flights. So, yes I would say I get considerably longer times so I'm quite happy with the setup.

The ESC's so far are working very well. The main negative aspect is their price. They're 25A Castle Creations Quadpak ESC's. At $105 ~ $110 for 4 they're not cheap.
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2014, 10:25 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Feb 2014
82 Posts
Interested in these props. Any ideas on when they will be available? Are they fiber/nylon like the HQprops? Did they mention a price?

Reason I ask about the material is because I just bought 4 sets of 6030 HQprops. They are very stiff and perform excellent, but are extremely brittle. Instead of just chipping or bending they fracture completely as soon as they touch something. They don't like to take the abuse that the mini quads are capable of.
Stuuu is offline Find More Posts by Stuuu
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2014, 12:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2013
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuu View Post
Interested in these props. Any ideas on when they will be available? Are they fiber/nylon like the HQprops? Did they mention a price?

Reason I ask about the material is because I just bought 4 sets of 6030 HQprops. They are very stiff and perform excellent, but are extremely brittle. Instead of just chipping or bending they fracture completely as soon as they touch something. They don't like to take the abuse that the mini quads are capable of.
Maybe you can try our color 6X3, they are more durable.
Regards,
feng
HQProp is online now Find More Posts by HQProp
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2014, 11:17 AM
The geek in Rotorgeeks
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
340 Posts
These props are now in stock at Rotorgeeks. I guess I was among the first to order!
The usual US shipping in 3-4 days, global shipping average of 10-11 days.
http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?rout...product_id=163
dklein is offline Find More Posts by dklein
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2014, 12:01 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Feb 2014
82 Posts
Sweet!

Is the Gemfan "Black" 6030 the same as the the regular ones found here? https://www.gothelirc.com/shopexd.asp?id=2260

And I noticed you only tested them on a 1200kv motor. Is that because they aren't strong enough for the high kv motors? I am debating on getting these for a 3s 2206 2150kv motor, but the "black" gemfan performs very similar to the grey. Are they grey props worth the extra $$?
Stuuu is offline Find More Posts by Stuuu
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2014, 03:14 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklein View Post
These props are now in stock at Rotorgeeks. I guess I was among the first to order!
The usual US shipping in 3-4 days, global shipping average of 10-11 days.
http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?rout...product_id=163
When you get them, let us know if the plastic is stronger on that batch. The first batch that was sent to me and a couple of other persons for testing is weak at the blade/hub joint. You can't bend it too much, it'll stress and eventually may fail at the hub joint. Their performance is outstanding however. It's one of the best-performing 6" props - for my criteria: decently high thrust at not too high current draw, that means the propeller airfoil is very efficient.

All mini-multimotor enthusiasts should email GemFan customer department sales2@gemfanhobby.com and ask them to please use a better material for these props. 6" is really a good prop size for the new frames coming out like the BAH Nemesis, RD230 w/ long arms, etc. On 3S + 2300Kv SunnySky motors, these props work great. Just need to be made of better material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuu View Post
Sweet!

Is the Gemfan "Black" 6030 the same as the the regular ones found here? https://www.gothelirc.com/shopexd.asp?id=2260

And I noticed you only tested them on a 1200kv motor. Is that because they aren't strong enough for the high kv motors? I am debating on getting these for a 3s 2206 2150kv motor, but the "black" gemfan performs very similar to the grey. Are they grey props worth the extra $$?
The "Black" Gemfans are not good for high rpm use, so not a good prop for the 2300Kv motors. At least, not the ones I got. Those orange/green/black might be different - I couldn't say since I've not tested them. If someone buys them, let us know if they work with the 2300Kv motors

I did test them on 1960Kv & 2300Kv 4S and they produce very high thrust - the videos are on the post above. The airfoil is top notch- very efficient. The material however is not very durable and any bending (more than about 30*) weakens the joint at the hub and may lead to failure. GemFan needs to use a better plastic.
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2014, 03:16 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQProp View Post
Maybe you can try our color 6X3, they are more durable.
Regards,
feng
I will test them,
However, if they have the same airfoil profile as the HQ6030 carbon composite, then I already tested those. They did OK, good thrust but not as efficient as GemFan's

If the HQ Prop material is better, then of course, that's a better choice. For mini-multirotors we need the best of everything
-Somewhat stiff
-Efficient/High thrust
-Strong - survive strikes on ground and some mild crashes

Make a prop with those qualities and we'll buy them - often, the mini-quad craze just keeps growing
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jul 03, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2014, 11:40 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
New Stiffer Version of GemFan GF6030 Propeller

I will say this. I have been flying the HQ 6 x 3 exclusively. That is because the gem fan 6 x 3 blacks have had very bad reviews. I think after reading about your review and test results I'm going to have to order some gem fan gray 6 x 3. Thank you for all of your testing.
jmisuraca is online now Find More Posts by jmisuraca
Last edited by jmisuraca; Jul 04, 2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: granner
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2014, 04:22 AM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmisuraca View Post
I will say this. I have been flying the HQ 6 x 3 exclusively. That is because the gem fan 6 x 3 blacks have had very bad reviews. I think after reading about your review and test results I'm going to have to order some gem fan gray 6 x 3. Thank you for all of your testing.
Just keep in mind the "new" GF6030's do not survive crashes too well, even mild ones . As long as you keep your multirotor from crashing, these are OK. Inspect blade/hub joint and if you see any crease, discard prop. Hopefully GF revises the material and this will be my goto prop.
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold "REDUCED " SIX PAIR "BRAND NEW" 1045 gemfan carbon fiber propellers $65.00 hadawayj Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jan 26, 2014 10:45 PM
For Sale "REDUCED " SIX PAIR "BRAND NEW" 1045 gemfan carbon fiber propellers $65.00 hadawayj Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jan 24, 2014 11:02 AM
For Sale "BRAND NEW" 1045 gemfan carbon fiber propellers hadawayj Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jan 22, 2014 12:56 PM
For Sale GemFan Carbon Fiber Propeller jwallwhitworth Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Oct 14, 2013 11:10 AM
Data New GEMFAN E-Propeller VS GRAUPNER E-Prop - Comparative tests Mortimer Multirotor Talk 106 Sep 08, 2013 04:32 PM