Old May 19, 2014, 05:13 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
Discussion
Parallel Charge Board Balance Adapter

Odd thing I didn't plan on.

I have a Hyperion 730i charger and a paraboard.

The Hyperion is a 7S charger, paraboard is for 6S only.

Does anyone know where I can get a 7S Hyperion connector to 6S JST XH so I can hook the paraboard to the charger?

How are other folks handling this?
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,782 Posts
If what I googled up can be believed the charger comes with a balance board which has JST-XH connections so you could plug the paraboard into the 6S port on that. If that seems too ugly, and you no longer want to use the balance board, you could change the board-side end of the wire that comes with the balance board to JST-XH 6S.

Unfortunately Hyperion is somewhat rare, 7S is somewhat rare, and adapters to different cell counts are somewhat rare, so a ready-made 7S Hyperion to 6S JST-XH may be hard to find. Though someone with good google skills might turn up something.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:19 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
I tried to make up a wire for direct charger to board but clearly it wasn't right.

Hyperion uses eight wires with a gap in the middle to the balance board. I tried to wire inline and it said it didn't see the balance board.

Your solution of plugging the paraboard into the balance board will work until I find another solution.

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,782 Posts
Here's a good site to look at when making your own adapters:

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-...nce-connectors
Old May 19, 2014, 06:47 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,779 Posts
There are two simple solutions if you can't find a ready made 6S ->7S adapter.

1) Get a 7S shell and swap the 6 wires into it. The last (8th) hole is left empty. 8 connector JST-XH shells aren't all that easy to find however.

2) Cut the left hand locating lug off the top of a 6S shell at one end. It will then plug easily into the Hyperion 7S socket leaving the last (left hand) pin unconnected.

I have used both methods with my Hyperion chargers and Paraboards and they both work fine. Particularly since you normally leave the Paraboard permanently connected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100 View Post
Odd thing I didn't plan on.

I have a Hyperion 730i charger and a paraboard.

The Hyperion is a 7S charger, paraboard is for 6S only.

Does anyone know where I can get a 7S Hyperion connector to 6S JST XH so I can hook the paraboard to the charger?

How are other folks handling this?
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 19, 2014, 07:37 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
I think I may have found something.

http://www.buddyrc.com/paraboard-bal...n-charger.html

I need to ask them if it is what I think it is but it may work.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,782 Posts
Looks Plausible!
Old May 19, 2014, 07:43 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
2) Cut the left hand locating lug off the top of a 6S shell at one end. It will then plug easily into the Hyperion 7S socket leaving the last (left hand) pin unconnected.
This may be an option as well.

I trimmed the tab off and so as long as I plug the connector all the way to the right of the charger side it will be fine?

That would put the red wire one spot in from the left correct?
Old May 19, 2014, 07:50 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,779 Posts
Correct. The charger doesn't know you have not connected the last wire. It just looks for a voltage on the pins starting from the right and works out how many cells are in the pack. Although it can do up to 7, it will just never see more than 6 with a Paraboard.
Quote:
This may be an option as well.

I trimmed the tab off and so as long as I plug the connector all the way to the right of the charger side it will be fine?

That would put the red wire one spot in from the left correct?
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 19, 2014, 07:56 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
Thank you. That gets me up and running.

I did order the wire from Buddy RC as well for the long term. For $4.88 shipped it's worth it to make sure I don't bend a pin, plug in wrong, or any other dumb things I could manage.

Thanks for all the help!
Old May 23, 2014, 11:22 AM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
The wire I linked from Buddy RC works perfectly without having to manipulate wires in the adapters and the end is a perfect fit into the Hyperion charger.

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:21 AM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
The wire I linked from Buddy RC works perfectly without having to manipulate wires in the adapters and the end is a perfect fit into the Hyperion charger.

Thanks everyone!
I have a Hyperion Super Duo on its way and was wondering what paraboard from Buddy Rc did you get? Do you know if anyone of the paraboards from Buddyrc is a direct fit for the balance port or do I need to get the same adapter you purchased to work with the paraboard?
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:49 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,363 Posts
You'll need the cable that he linked above. It'll work with all of the V2 and V3 parallel charge boards from BuddyRC. The balance cables from the V2 and V3 paraboards are identical and will not connect to your Super Duo without modification. The linked cable removes this obstacle.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:44 AM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
You'll need the cable that he linked above. It'll work with all of the V2 and V3 parallel charge boards from BuddyRC. The balance cables from the V2 and V3 paraboards are identical and will not connect to your Super Duo without modification. The linked cable removes this obstacle.
Right on man, thanks for the info!
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Nov 24, 2014, 07:11 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,376 Posts
Yeah, what he said about what I said. Ha, he beat me to a response.