Found this interesting:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/11/race-sense/

-rskip
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
262 Posts
we have been using bluetooth gps and racechrono for a while here ....
Manuspain is offline Find More Posts by Manuspain
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Very cool
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:01 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,399 Posts
Hey! I've got telemetry on my bike!

This was from last week. First time I've run the bike in almost 2 years...
A lot of new hardware so it wasn't doing too well. I've improved it a good bit over the weekend. Unfortunately with the time change there isn't much light left after work for filming anymore...

Bike Controller with Telemetry (2 min 11 sec)
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Jun 2006
293 Posts
Really Cool,

I have a couple of zigbee's and imu's waiting around for some similar stuff. It's just hard to find time these days....

-rskip
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskip View Post
Not available yet it seems.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:30 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Dmincin, I'm interested on the equipment you use for telemetry (I'm building something similar).
Can you provide more information?

Thanks,
Antonis.
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
dammachines
Joined Feb 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Really Cool,

I have a couple of zigbee's and imu's waiting around for some similar stuff. It's just hard to find time these days....

-rskip

Yup, I know what you mean about not having the time. With the wife (working full time opposite shifts of me), 4 kids, 2 dogs, 4 cats, my own full time+ job (1.5 hr drive each way) to take up most of my time, side projects are hard to get to.

Most of my design / development has been between midnight and 3 am...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
dammachines
Joined Feb 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegos View Post
Dmincin, I'm interested on the equipment you use for telemetry (I'm building something similar).
Can you provide more information?

Thanks,
Antonis.
The hardware is the easy part!

I started on this many years back when an Invensense IDG300 2 axis gyro evaluation board cost me $150! Prices and availability are so much better now.

Currently I'm using an IMU3000 + ADXL345 on the sensor board. Haven't added a magnetometer just yet. I just swapped over from the old analog interface chips that I had been using to these i2c sensors. The video is my first run using them. I've made a few small corrections to the code so it's working much better now. Planning to move to an MPU-9150 soon so I can get gyros, accels, and mags on the same chip.

The data is processed by an Atmega328 on a custom board I designed to give me all the input and output connections I needed.

Wireless data is sent through a pair of XBee modules.

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:41 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmincin View Post
Currently I'm using an IMU3000 + ADXL345 on the sensor board. Haven't added a magnetometer just yet. I just swapped over from the old analog interface chips that I had been using to these i2c sensors. The video is my first run using them. I've made a few small corrections to the code so it's working much better now. Planning to move to an MPU-9150 soon so I can get gyros, accels, and mags on the same chip.

The data is processed by an Atmega328 on a custom board I designed to give me all the input and output connections I needed.

Wireless data is sent through a pair of XBee modules.

Dave
Nice.
I just finished a project with an ADXL345, a Fatrax UP501 GPS, a DHT11 temperature/humidity sensor and a SD card module, all wired to an Arduino Nano.

Here are some photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1046567...LoggerV101Beta
The project is almost ready, it just needs a box to sit in.

My main problem is how to get the leaning angle correctly when in motion. I can get it when is stopped, but when running, the results are not correct. Perhaps I missing something or my calculations are bad.

I'm now working on 3 improvements. First, to put a 2digit 7segment display (wired with a Maxim 7219 led driver) to show in real time the speed (and when is not moving, the top speed), second, to save the data on the sd card in KML format (for GoogleEarth) or GPX (for Garmin software) and third, to send the data on a remote display (or a computer). I have some small 433mhz transmitters & receivers, I just need to test them about sending/receiving data.

My code is available if you want to take a look!
Last edited by vegos; Nov 18, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Jun 2006
293 Posts
Cool,

I'm using an arduino nano - but dumped the arduino part and have been programming directly with avr in C. I was using some older gyro and accelerometers but switched over to the mpu-6000 recently. I've had too many problems using the compass - it seems like my bike is way too noisy. I've been merging the data using a complimentary filter but haven't worked out all the bugs yet. I have a bias setup to weigh the accelerometer heavy when it's magnitude is close to 1.

-rskip
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:42 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
https://github.com/vegos/rclogger

Here is my code, in case that anyone wants to help
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
dammachines
Joined Feb 2004
1,399 Posts
Vegos,

As you've found, accelerometers alone work great when your bike is sitting still. However, not only do they pick up every tiny vibration they also react to all accelerations... So once you start moving they'll show the bike bouncing all over. If I have my bike on the test stand and go with accelerometer only, just starting the motor on a slow speed will have the lean angle rocking left and right. You really need gyros to get the rotation rates and use the accelerometers to get rid of the gyro drift.

-- To be honest, the video that I posted was running in gyro-only mode. That was the first time I had run the bike with that sensor board and I had the z-axis accelerometer sign backwards so I just commented that out quickly and ran with gyro only.

I also used a 434 or 315 mhz transmitter on my first prototype bike. It worked fairly well at 1200 baud but the range wasn't that great and the signal was quite noisy. The Xbee works much better - and is much faster as well!

rskip,

I've never tried an Arudino (I do have a mega 2560 driving my 3D printer though) I have an Atmel STK500 board that I use to just program the AVR directly.

I just built another one (it's nice having the custom PCBs done instead of building the whole thing on a perf board. Just populate the board and go!) but this time using an MPU-6050. 6000 is SPI, right? I'm surprised how well the gyro on this chip and the IMU-3000 works. Very little drift - until the temp starts to change. And using the i2c interface for everything is a lot cleaner than using 6 ADCs like on my earlier (2010) bike.

If only people were interested in buying such a system. Might try running the ESC through one in the spring to see how well it works for wheelie control.

Dave
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Jun 2006
293 Posts
@dmincin

I only use the arduino bootloader and pre-designed boards. All the programming is done using AVR over serial/usb. The only downside to this setup is I don't have much flexibility debugging - I'm pretty much stuck with printf/oscilloscope debugging. I'm pretty new to atmel products - I miss the nicer interfaces I had when I used to program TI and Freescale DSPs at work.

The 6000 is I2C or SPI. I've been sidetracked with trying to get the DMP code to work on the board I have - It's such a shame the documentation is purposefully lacking.

Wheelie control is what I'm working on. I had a seperate board running a diffrent imu limiting the wheelie angle. I had to get creative with some of the timers to read and generate a clean hrs/ppm signal while also performing a few other timer tasks. It was crude and I didn't finish working out all the kinks (need some tuning to my complimentary filter) - but was very promising.

-rskip
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,683 Posts
Quote:

Wheelie control is what I'm working on. I had a seperate board running a diffrent imu limiting the wheelie angle. I had to get creative with some of the timers to read and generate a clean hrs/ppm signal while also performing a few other timer tasks. It was crude and I didn't finish working out all the kinks (need some tuning to my complimentary filter) - but was very promising.

-rskip
NOW this = I would be interested in. NOTHING is worse than flipping backwards going down a backstretch (in a race) just to succumb to the love/hate scenario to the wheelie that totally interrupts the flow/race/integrity of the bike/ and damage a back flip wheelie causes .
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H