SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:04 AM
Battery Powered==(*)==
Mesquite, Nevada
Joined Jan 2002
492 Posts
With the receiver wires on top like your picture. The right one goes to the esc. When the board is mounted the 2 sets of wires face the nose of the plane.
tomcor is offline Find More Posts by tomcor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2014, 05:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Carshalton
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
Can I use any ESC to replace a damaged Skyhawk ESC?

Hi

Can any other ESC be used to replace a faulty Spyhawk ESC?

I installed by new Reciever Module in my Spyhawk after wrongly connecting a battery the wrong way round. The binding, stabilising, controls etc work OK but the motor does not. I suspect the ESC was damaged at the same time.

When binding I no longer get beeps apart from the first connection of the replacement Rx module. It beeped once (maybe twice?) and thought that's different with this Rx module. Subsequent bindings there are no longer beeps. The lights still flash.

So my questions are,
Can I use a other makers 6amp ESC or is the Spyhawk ESC preprogrammed/configured uniquely to work with the other Skyhawks electronics? If so is there different versions?

The Spyhawk ESC seems very expensive compared to other ESCs on the market. Why what's so special with this one?
I read in a forum, without any detail, that the Spyhawk ESC was just a off the shelf ESC. Is that so?

Has anyone replaced there ESC with a different one?

Help from you guys would be much appliciated.

Cheers
Chris.
KitKite is online now Find More Posts by KitKite
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Oct 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKite View Post
Hi

Can any other ESC be used to replace a faulty Spyhawk ESC?

I installed by new Reciever Module in my Spyhawk after wrongly connecting a battery the wrong way round. The binding, stabilising, controls etc work OK but the motor does not. I suspect the ESC was damaged at the same time.

When binding I no longer get beeps apart from the first connection of the replacement Rx module. It beeped once (maybe twice?) and thought that's different with this Rx module. Subsequent bindings there are no longer beeps. The lights still flash.

So my questions are,
Can I use a other makers 6amp ESC or is the Spyhawk ESC preprogrammed/configured uniquely to work with the other Skyhawks electronics? If so is there different versions?

The Spyhawk ESC seems very expensive compared to other ESCs on the market. Why what's so special with this one?
I read in a forum, without any detail, that the Spyhawk ESC was just a off the shelf ESC. Is that so?

Has anyone replaced there ESC with a different one?

Help from you guys would be much appliciated.

Cheers
Chris.
http://spyhawkforum.freefo.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28
mauri307 is offline Find More Posts by mauri307
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:07 AM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauri307 View Post
Hey good info. Thanks. Best Regards.
segroegt is online now Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segroegt View Post
Hey good info. Thanks. Best Regards.
Thanks! The idea of this forum is to have al the information clasificated by subject.
I hope you all participate on it!
Last edited by mauri307; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
Best method for attacking a ESC ie. remove and replace?

Hi All

My ESC need replacing and I was wondering how other Spyhawk users have (or would) tackle such a replacement.

I was hoping to feed and pull with twizzers and a hook made out of a bit of stiff wire through the hole where the wings attach. I would then cut the old wires and solder the new ESC onto them. Next stuff it back into the hole and away I go.

All as going well unitl the time I had to lightly pull the ESC wires. Any free play was restricted by the 5.8ghz Tx. The wire went under the fixed video board and then up to the engine.

I had considered cutting a rectangular hatch in this area but still would not have enough play in the wires to be able to solder. The advantage would have been the work on the fuselage would have been hidden.

So now it looks like I am going to have to go in from underneath, cut out a 'bomber bay hatch' to access the old ESC. This method should allow enough access and space to do what's needed. It would allow me to move or change the video board if I needed to. The disadvantage is that its visible and may look 'messy' when the cut out bit is stuck back.

Afterwards I have thought of adding clear 'bomber hatch', a led light/strobe in this bay shining down. Also hopefully allow quick access to these internal electronics.

Questions
1. How have others tackle similar problems in changing an ESC?

2. What glue easy to cut when dry?

Any tips and advice welcome.

Cheers
Chris
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:13 AM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Hi All

My ESC need replacing and I was wondering how other Spyhawk users have (or would) tackle such a replacement.

I was hoping to feed and pull with twizzers and a hook made out of a bit of stiff wire through the hole where the wings attach. I would then cut the old wires and solder the new ESC onto them. Next stuff it back into the hole and away I go.

All as going well unitl the time I had to lightly pull the ESC wires. Any free play was restricted by the 5.8ghz Tx. The wire went under the fixed video board and then up to the engine.

I had considered cutting a rectangular hatch in this area but still would not have enough play in the wires to be able to solder. The advantage would have been the work on the fuselage would have been hidden.

So now it looks like I am going to have to go in from underneath, cut out a 'bomber bay hatch' to access the old ESC. This method should allow enough access and space to do what's needed. It would allow me to move or change the video board if I needed to. The disadvantage is that its visible and may look 'messy' when the cut out bit is stuck back.

Afterwards I have thought of adding clear 'bomber hatch', a led light/strobe in this bay shining down. Also hopefully allow quick access to these internal electronics.

Questions

Cheers
Chris
Go check on You Tube for videos . I think there is one for motor and ESC change. They seem to split the fuselage in 2. For the glue to glue back, maybe CA for styrofoam . I have not done this surgery yet. Good Luck and Best Regards.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:53 AM
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Questions

Cheers
Chris[/QUOTE]

Hi, I havn't had to replace my ESC but I did have to get at the VTX in my Hawk so I cut a belly hatch but only through one half of the right side of the lower fuselage so as not to compromise the strength too much.I then Used UHU por to glue the piece back in after.When I "built" my hawk I placed my ESC in the Motor Pillar by carving out some of the poly and put in some vents to keep it cool.I can now access the ESC by simply removing half of the pillar to get at it instesd of stripping down the entire plane,as I plan at some point to fit a bigger ESC and motor for more power,this was mentioned in the Spy hawk review by Flite Test on YouTube so it would appear that fitting a bigger ESC and motor is quite dooable. good luck with your repair and let us know how it goes!
Oh had a bit of luck on Ebay a couple of weeks back,picked up a Hawk controller in great condition for 26 .was even more chuffed when it turned up....it was the Version 3
Bryghtblade is offline Find More Posts by Bryghtblade
Old Nov 03, 2014, 06:50 AM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryghtblade View Post
Questions

Cheers
Chris
Hi, I havn't had to replace my ESC but I did have to get at the VTX in my Hawk so I cut a belly hatch but only through one half of the right side of the lower fuselage so as not to compromise the strength too much.I then Used UHU por to glue the piece back in after.When I "built" my hawk I placed my ESC in the Motor Pillar by carving out some of the poly and put in some vents to keep it cool.I can now access the ESC by simply removing half of the pillar to get at it instesd of stripping down the entire plane,as I plan at some point to fit a bigger ESC and motor for more power,this was mentioned in the Spy hawk review by Flite Test on YouTube so it would appear that fitting a bigger ESC and motor is quite dooable. good luck with your repair and let us know how it goes!
Oh had a bit of luck on Ebay a couple of weeks back,picked up a Hawk controller in great condition for 26 .was even more chuffed when it turned up....it was the Version 3 [/QUOTE]

Why ,is the stock ESC not good enough ? Yes,The Spyhawk controller is quite good. Best Regards.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
Hi guys
Has anyone tried upgrading the ESC to a 10A SimonK Firmware Brushless ESC 2-3S?
I ordered this off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111486244531...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I burned out my ESC after a water landing - since then the plane starts and I can get aileron + rudder control and video tx but the motor won't start. I ripped out the burned esc and tried connecting the 10A SimonK but since the 3 wires aren't color coded, I'm having a tough time figuring out how to connect them to the motor.
mukulhinge is offline Find More Posts by mukulhinge
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:37 AM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukulhinge View Post
Hi guys

I burned out my ESC after a water landing - since then the plane starts and I can get aileron + rudder control and video tx but the motor won't start. I ripped out the burned esc and tried connecting the 10A SimonK but since the 3 wires aren't color coded, I'm having a tough time figuring out how to connect them to the motor.
Hey no answer after one week. Boy that is a slow thread LOL. Maybe someone will respond with your answer. Good luck and Best regards.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukulhinge View Post
Hi guys

I had a ESC that I replaced.
As I understand you can connect in any order. If the motor runs backward reverse any two wires.
I read that somewhere, can't remember where. I'm sure a search on connecting a RC ESC to motor will help.
Chris.
Last edited by KitKite; Nov 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:13 AM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,598 Posts
Quote:
I had a ESC that I replaced.
As I understand you can connect in any order. If the motor runs backward reverse any two wires.
I read that somewhere, can't remember where. I'm sure a search on connecting a RC ESC to motor will help.
Chris.
Hey that is good news Thanks. Best Regards.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Oct 2013
12 Posts
Amazing!
Seems that the spy hawk has more secrets!

http://spyhawkforum.freefo.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
358 Posts
anyone noticed that bang good stopped selling the spy hawk fpv version ? really hard to get cheap parts now
Andyclayton is offline Find More Posts by Andyclayton