HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:08 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
rangelink thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518968
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
But why do people get the module based systems? Is it personal preference.
I run a module based Futaba 9C because it gives the option of having one radio and 2.4GHz Spektrum or Futaba, 72MHz and UHF, its just the flexibility of a module based radio is great. I guess you could say personal preference plays a huge part.
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:08 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Yeah I figured that's what it was. I was out of the loop for a long time in RC and got back in last year. When I started doing my due diligence on fpv and UHF I noticed a lot were using 9c's and modules. I'm on spent rum and realize some issues it has with fpv so I looked around.

Again thanks guys for pointing out the range link. Is there any reason to get a UHF for a tricopter? I'm going to use it as my training device but I just don't see myself doing that far with it.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:08 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Again thanks guys for pointing out the range link. Is there any reason to get a UHF for a tricopter? I'm going to use it as my training device but I just don't see myself doing that far with it.
There are many reasons for UHF on a multirotor. 72MHz antennas are really long and there might not be a place to put it. 2.4 GHz is ok, but if you want to fly behind objects or use any frequency other than 5.8GHz for video, you can't use 2.4GHz for control. That leaves UHF as the only option.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
His problem was a 1.5W TX (I cannot describe to you the utter amount of fail a 1.5w TX causes). Ditch the 1.5W TX, get a 200MW version.

The other problem is 2.4 radio. They just aren't great for FPV, although Futaba is probably the best to use if you want to stick to 2.4 control.

72Mhz with a good RX is easily capable of well over a mile. In many cases, 2 miles or more.

Please, do not let him get UHF yet. Get him a 200MW TX.
Pete hit the nail on the head. You know you are talking to a newbie when they mention TX power exceeding 1 Watt. I have seen Futaba go a mile repeatedly without issue with a 500mW 900MHz VTX onboard. Granted, this unit was from DPCAV and not HobbyKing which probably had something to do with it. He had plenty of video to go out even further with only an 8dbi patch on the ground. No tracker, no booster, nothing fancy.

-Alex
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:14 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Bump. Alex, what do you think? Do I need to cut off my sma so I can attach the adapter, or can I use two adapters, or will that shift the freq too far.
Thank you
I think your only solution is to fly it out of tune. It shouldn't hurt you too much.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I think your only solution is to fly it out of tune. It shouldn't hurt you too much.
Would you care to venture a guess as to what my loss would be in db?
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi guys,

I had to balance out my plane by putting some weight in one wing. It is a very small metal nut, but I am concerned that it is only about a centimeter away from the end of my Dragonlink antenna. Is that going to be a problem or does metal not have any effect on antennas?

Thanks,
Jim
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:05 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Lol you guys discriminate the 1.5W transmitter but I've had a lot of success with it!
I'm going to push it to the limits this weekend out in the country.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:58 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
I could only guess. Probably 2db or so. Nothing you are likely to notice.

-Alex
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
I fly 1280 with 900mhz antennas all the time, and 900mhz with 1280 antennas on the time.

although that's only on the RX side, TX's always have an appropriate antenna.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:46 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,678 Posts
This is because they do not know how to set up a plane properly.

A well set up plane can use 1.5 watt video tx no problem and do things lower watt video tx cannot.

Lower video tx like 200 mw works no problem but higher ones work better

If you fly small planes then smaller video tx is way to go to save weight as well as other factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
Lol you guys discriminate the 1.5W transmitter but I've had a lot of success with it!
I'm going to push it to the limits this weekend out in the country.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:49 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,678 Posts
Try higher video tx for long range 3d

You will also be able to fly lower and longer with high video tx

Quote:
Pete hit the nail on the head. You know you are talking to a newbie when they mention TX power exceeding 1 Watt. I have seen Futaba go a mile repeatedly without issue with a 500mW 900MHz VTX onboard. Granted, this unit was from DPCAV and not HobbyKing which probably had something to do with it. He had plenty of video to go out even further with only an 8dbi patch on the ground. No tracker, no booster, nothing fancy.

-Alex
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:50 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,678 Posts
With very small video tx antenna for speed and aerodynamic for plane go with high power video tx which is 2.4

I put video tx antenna inside plane or very very little exposed outside plane, about size of a servo cover, so actually no drag at all

Ground station antennas can be large but plane video tx antenna has to be smallest possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
I fly 1280 with 900mhz antennas all the time, and 900mhz with 1280 antennas on the time.

although that's only on the RX side, TX's always have an appropriate antenna.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:56 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,678 Posts
UHF antennas can be folded or shortened to 1/4 length so made very small and still go very far away

Been there done that

It's all about aerodynamics or in case of copter short antenna :
Quote:
There are many reasons for UHF on a multirotor. 72MHz antennas are really long and there might not be a place to put it. 2.4 GHz is ok, but if you want to fly behind objects or use any frequency other than 5.8GHz for video, you can't use 2.4GHz for control. That leaves UHF as the only option.

-Alex