HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:54 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
P-47 Jug: VarioPROP

Okay! With the motor centered and the Cowl mod completed, I needed to find a 4-Blade prop for the Jug.

The only viable solution I could find was the VarioPROP by Ramoser.

I must say, this thing is Kewl! You can adjust the blade pitch to suit your needs for whatever application you desire. Although not scale because of the spinner, I could run this on the P-51 if I wanted too. It comes with a gauge, pointer and ball headed hex driver to aid in the pitch adjustments. Blades and spinners are extra, but blade replacement is reasonable.

What I have is the 4-Blade 12C adjustable hub suitable for an 8mm prop adapter. The blades recommended for my application with the P-47/580 motor was the 13 x 9 #353-12 (I said 352-12 in the video). These 13 x 9's actually measure 14" from tip to tip. The Dome Spinner is the #1201 aluminum spinner which attaches to the prop shaft with a 3mm countersink tap screw. Because the 580 prop shaft would have to be drilled and tapped to accept this screw, I decided to stick to my SAE standards and went with a 6/32" SS countersink button head set screw (I also have a lot of these in stock)!

TIP:
If you should decide you want to go with a 2-Blade set-up, simply remove 2 of the blades in the 4-Blade hub. With a range of 10" to 15" blades in both "Speed" & "Scale" in the 12C hub, the options are wide open to whatever application you would want to try! Just keep in mind that the different size hubs 6A, 8B, 12C etc. must also use the same blades for that size hub.

UP-DATE 09/20/2010: I converted my 4-Blade VarioPROP to a 2-Blade to see how it would look. It took me about 1 min. including a pitch adjustment.

UP-DATE 11/08/2010: If and when I ever decide to try out the G&C motors, Ramoser has a nifty 6mm collet adapter to fit the 8mm VP hubs to the 6mm G&C prop shaft.
I also have a new set of the VarioPROP 14" Speed blades. It will be interesting to see how these 14's will work as a 4-Blade & 2-Blade setup?

The following vid will show how easy it is to adjust the pitch on the VarioPROP.

VarioPROP 1.m4v (4 min 54 sec)

UP-DATE 10/11/2012:

I U/L some more detailed pics of both the 12C 3 & 4 Blade VarioProps. I also have some detailed pics of the larger scale 16D VarioProp which has a range of 16.2" blades up to 22.6" blades.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:54 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
do you have a link to where u ordered that p 47 its gorgeous!
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:43 PM
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
that prop is cool. how much did it cost? no way to mount a back plate and a spinner for the P-51?
zup
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:00 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
do you have a link to where u ordered that p 47 its gorgeous!
Nitroplanes, but unfortunately at this time they are out of stock! Both the P-47 and the P-51 seem to be a hot commodity lately, and finding any is a crap shoot.

I stand corrected, Nitro is showing a RTF P-47 with the fixed gear in stock.

I always order airframes so I don't pay much attention to RTFs.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Sep 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:12 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zup View Post
that prop is cool. how much did it cost? no way to mount a back plate and a spinner for the P-51?
zup
They aren't cheap! My total order: Vario 4-blade hub, 4 blades and spinner cost $85.00.

As far as the P-51, I haven't even tried to fit the varioprop to the P-51 as I've been busy getting the Jug ready.

UP-DATE: I decided to try and see if I could install these on the Mustang. You can view the results on the "P-51: Props" section of my blog.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Sep 20, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
the blades are inexpensive enuf. do you think the hub will take some abuse. i,d like to get one for my hyperian P-51. i just need to figure out what size i need.
zup
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:11 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zup View Post
the blades are inexpensive enuf. do you think the hub will take some abuse. i,d like to get one for my hyperian P-51. i just need to figure out what size i need.
zup
Yes, once the initial investment in the hub/spinner combo is made, the blades themselves are affordable. Plus it's easy to experiment with different sizes.

The hub itself is all aluminum and looks to be quite durable. I am still in the building process of this bird so I can't commit how how it would survive a nose dive?

Contact Mike at: splash@e-flightline.com explain your application and he'll know exactly what you'll need. NOTE: He is rather slow in responding to email.
You can also contact Christian Ramoser at: info@ramoser.de

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
zup
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
thanks gary