SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2005, 07:57 PM
Del Rey Oaks, CA
Joined Sep 2004
246 Posts
it aint flyn but its a pic

no time to slope, so crystal is here in suspended animation, high in the ceiling of my loft. waiting for jan-march(ish) for those nice fast thick, cold windy days.
SUR DEVO is offline Find More Posts by SUR DEVO
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2005, 08:08 PM
Serenity now!
W. Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUR DEVO
no time to slope, so crystal is here in suspended animation, high in the ceiling of my loft. waiting for jan-march(ish) for those nice fast thick, cold windy days.
That thing has seen some action!

What slopes do you fly at? I'm in Santa Cruz and need to find an alternative to Daveport.

-chad
80SGliderDude is offline Find More Posts by 80SGliderDude
Old Nov 02, 2005, 10:07 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,550 Posts
Crystal looks as if she's fallen face down a time or two...
She's a good ol' girl!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 03, 2005, 01:48 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
The next closest slope alternative to you Chad is good old Sunset beach. Smoooooth lift. But watch out for the fence on landing. Farther north, slopmeno (to name one) knows all the good spots.

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Nov 03, 2005, 02:06 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Hey. Sounds like Lexington Reservoir might be something for you to look into, though I've never flown there. I'm sorta spoiled up her in SF since theres a slope for just about any condition. Sunset Beach is nice, and my wife is always asking when we're going back there. It need a little WSW to work, but I've flown my Higgins plane there. Ive also flown at Sand City by Marina, which was nice too.
Have you played with Google earth yet? Try it and compare the prevailing wind -vs- the terrain. Some amazingly small trails show up on it too. A little deer trail we use to go up a local spot shows up great, so you can plot your rout from the parking lot.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Nov 03, 2005, 10:25 AM
Serenity now!
W. Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
Sorry Sur for highjacking your thread ... but thanks everyone for the advice on flying sites. I wish Google Earth worked on my Mac

-chad
80SGliderDude is offline Find More Posts by 80SGliderDude
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:42 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,223 Posts
Google Earth is the shizzle for finding new flying spots. I've already scored one that works in the off-season (i.e., right now) AND has a little bowl for DS.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Nov 03, 2005, 07:11 PM
Del Rey Oaks, CA
Joined Sep 2004
246 Posts
its totally cool. i aint been flyin for some time. the wind isnt that fast, and i work evenings. so thats that. here in monterey, there are 3 pretty decent spots to fly. all along the beach from Sand City to Marina, but it aint the time of the year yet. Crystal has had a ton of combat. when i'd put her in the air, most of the guys would just resign. I had finally learned how to fly her with speed. its foam. so you can fly it with more risk, then when you want to get real stupid, there is the flyn boogie board to combat (combat wings XL). but really I've become addicted to my mini blade. and of course i want that 30(ish)mph wind. so im waiting. and maybe i'll take time off from work.
SUR DEVO is offline Find More Posts by SUR DEVO
Old Nov 03, 2005, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
All you guys need to start eying SOUTH sites. Those winter storms will be here in a month or so. Last year I flew in a 55 mph day at the top of a 200 ft cliff, and it was awesome.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno