HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:55 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,574 Posts
Question
Spektrum receiver for my Supra?

Guys, I need a receiver for my (new to me) Supra. I'm running a JR 12x that is still DSM2. I've run an AR7610 in an eflite mystique that I have specked out without issue, but I've also specked out DLGs with both AR610 and 6260 receivers, so I'm not sure that's a good way to judge the quality of the receiver. I like the features of the AR9310 carbon receiver but it's pricey, and might be too big?
Thoughts? Experiences?
Bodywerks is online now Find More Posts by Bodywerks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:42 AM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Guys, I need a receiver for my (new to me) Supra. I'm running a JR 12x that is still DSM2. I've run an AR7610 in an eflite mystique that I have specked out without issue, but I've also specked out DLGs with both AR610 and 6260 receivers, so I'm not sure that's a good way to judge the quality of the receiver. I like the features of the AR9310 carbon receiver but it's pricey, and might be too big?
Thoughts? Experiences?
1st - DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR RX
2nd - See First
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:05 AM
Joined May 2004
1,574 Posts
That doesn't help me. I know about not skimping. I also know that sometimes more expensive doesn't necessarily mean more better. If the 9310 is expensive because it is robust and proven, great! but will it fit in these tiny-fused gliders, specifically in my Supra Pro? And maybe it's just expensive because it is a 'carbon safe' receiver.
I have read that the OG AR7000 is one of the best receivers in the Spektrum line-up for range, redundancy, and reliability. Anybody using these in f3j type gliders?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 03:46 AM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2004
148 Posts
The AR7000 is no longer available. A shame as it was rock solid and has preset fail safe . To me, that is a must. All of the carbon-ready receivers have preset failsafe. For 2-meter ships I use the small six-channel AR6260 carbon fuselage receiver. It has two receivers, preset failsafe, and the longer antennas are easier to arrange even in a non carbon or carbon-safe fuse. For my larger planes the AR9310 is my choice for more antenna diversity and ALES.
Easily fits in my Xplorer.

I am trying out the Orange DSM2/DSMX with good results with my JR 11X on DSMX. All summer I flew a Radian and Radian Pro with it. I just put two in my Xplorer TD and ALES fuselages using S.BUS for the wing. So far so good. I like the option of the simpler wiring as I was having problems with the old wiring harness. Considering using JR DMSS with Xbus but that is an another topic.
Don McCullough is online now Find More Posts by Don McCullough
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:21 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,505 Posts
what's a carbon safe receiver and what's "preset" failsafe?
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:57 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,307 Posts
I've used 9300's and 9310's inside fuselages where there is a litte more room. The antennas wires can be routed around the fuselage to suitable locations. When space was more limited, or you don't want the longer antennas, then the 8000 or 7600 now 7610 worked fine. The 7000 is just a pain mounting in a sailplane.

Most of the spektrum RX's offer you the chance to do failsafe setting or hold when you bind them.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:37 AM
Joined May 2004
1,574 Posts
Thanks for the info. I ordered the 9310. Sorry I missed out on your offer mlachow.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:31 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2004
148 Posts
Carbon Fuselage receivers have long antennae suitable for mounting outside of the carbon fuselage wall, have two or more receivers, and preset failsafe. Preset failsafe is Spektrum-speak for failsafe where each channel goes to a pre-defined setting with signal loss. For example I use about half crow and some rudder offset. Can be a great indicator of loss signal and reduces the risk of a flyaway. Luckily has not happens to me but a club member had this happen. Once the plane got lower he had full control. Tuned out to be bad antennae placements.
Don McCullough is online now Find More Posts by Don McCullough
Old Sep 14, 2014, 04:01 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Aug 2006
119 Posts
I have ar6255 in the nose of my supra pro 2.4friendly fuse

One antenna vertical in front of the carbon hatch
One horizontal laying across(left to right) the servo tray
Jets:) is online now Find More Posts by Jets:)