HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2014, 02:26 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Question
Futaba SS9254 on 5.6 V????

Hi Guys,

I am sure that this has been covered many times but this time ‘search’ was not my friend and I can’t find an answer!!!

I just purchased a used model which is fitted with a Futaba S9254 tail rotor servo. My ESC is a Kontronik which spits out 5.6 V (measured) from the BEC. Am I safe to use this voltage on the S9254 or do I need a voltage reducer to go down to 5 V?????

On the Futaba site it says n/a for the 6 V specifications but on the Robbe site it states 4.8 – 6 V for the operating voltage. The previous owner was running the system (as far as I know, he has not answered my message) without a regulator and I don’t have one at the moment. Nothing in the way of the first test flights except this little quandary, risk it or not??????

PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:24 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts
futaba site states 4.8V only, so you're OK with that voltage. I wouldn't expect hobby services to do much for you if it quits and you're running higher voltage. However, with that being said, I've used those in many machine, and have them in a couple machines now. I've always ran them at 6V but recently dropped those regulators to 5.5. At 6V my experience is you limit the lifespan to only a couple years or so, then the tail stops holding and you have to send them in for service, usually getting a new motor in the servo. I'm hoping 5.5V increases the lifespan, but I'm OK with it the way it is. I know I'm running them at higher than spec'ed voltage and I accept the consequences. If you're not comfortable with that, there are some little "regulators" available, I forget the source, but they are cheap, and look like a short servo extension you just plug in between the tail servo and rx (or flybarless unit). They say they regulate to 5.1V but they're just a dropping diode so they drop it to "something" below what you have.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Sep 04, 2014, 03:15 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Thanks a million for that Buddy, EXACTLY the information that I was looking for, you have done it, read the book and got the T shirt

I will fly on 5.6 V but I am going to order a voltage reducer to drop it down to around 5 V hoping that the (expensive) Futaba servo lasts a while (it is second hand already )

Thanks again,

Paul
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB