HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:34 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Feb 2013
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
I have Boscam HD19 and SJ1000 plus #18 , etc ... but I have Mobius only on the way to me ...

For what I can see Boscam HD19 need a strong light to perform good, else the color and contrast is a bit weak. Boscam HD19 also has quite some noise visible in the captured photos and still frames.

For what I see I think Mobius should perform similar to SJ1000 if not better, that means colors and contrast are more sharp, and low light video are better

From RC usage maybe Boscam is a bit more optimized, I hate to charge an external battery once I have already 5v and 12v on my FPV bird ... mouting options with Mobius are way better then #18/#16 and maybe on pair of Boscam

Anyhow, the reference for video is GoPro .. or Sony As10 ...

Anyhow for 69$ ... there is no cheaper and better 1080p camera on the market ... Boscam cost 106$ , so almost double, and possibly does not bring any better quality unless it is a super sunny day

ps: YouTube is my reference for check video quality ... I have #11,#18,DV04 and SJ1000 on my channel there for comparison ... but you can check many other videos ... SJ1000 make very sharp video similar to GoPro, and better then HD19 , unless the day is super sunny ... the few Mobius video on YouTube are quite good quality for my point of view ...

pps: In two weeks time I can compare Mobius to my other comes ... eventually I can borrow a GoPro3 black as reference too ...
Thank you for that, Im really only concerned with the live video out, I just want to know how they compare to a pz0420 or similar as I need a new fpv cam and maybe something along these lines that record hd as well would be cool since buying a fpv cam and Gopro is out of the question now...
trickedout is offline Find More Posts by trickedout
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:52 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedout View Post
Thank you for that, Im really only concerned with the live video out, I just want to know how they compare to a pz0420 or similar as I need a new fpv cam and maybe something along these lines that record hd as well would be cool since buying a fpv cam and Gopro is out of the question now...
I have tried VideoOut on my mini octocopter. I am also new to FPV piloting, but for me the camera is perfect - don't know the AOV for VideoOut, I guess about the same as 720p-60fps. Total weight for my FPV equipment is only ab. 78g! (5.8Ghz VTX, simple OSD and Mobius).

-Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:06 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,522 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tom, Do you have any Experience with the Boscam HD19? Being as these both are HD and offer Video out how do you think they compare? Also How does the Video out compare to dedicated fpv cams like the z4020 on securitycamera2000??
I have no experience with any of them, and am focusing on what the Mobius can do here. But if they all output an antiquated analog composite video out signal, there's not much difference to be seen, and a lot depends on the display type (analog or digital) on the other end and conversion (if any) on that end.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimi View Post
Does anybody know if a waterproof case is planed for MOBIUS cam, something like the one for the #26 or SJ1000 and for what price approximately.
One is planned, but I have no details on it. But I HAVE been able to fit a Mobius in the case you show for the #26, with very slight shaving of some ribs in the case and angling the front extrusion around the lens opening of the Mobius case. The button posts don't line up, obviously, nor can I fully close the case without cutting a bit off the button extensions, but the camera can be turned on and a recording started, placed in the case, then close the case. Also, it's necessary to shoot only 720p with narrow AOV or else the viewport on the case will clip the corners of the recorded video. I have NOT yet trimmed off the button pegs, so have NOT test the Mobius inside the sealed case. But I have done that test with the #26 and it gets REALLY HOT... WAY to hot to hold my finger on the metal camera case. I think the Mobius would have the same problem! This is NOT good for the battery or electronics. If it were under water and could remove some heat from the case exterior, it would help a bit, but I think some kind of metal case top is needed to conduct heat from the case interior to the ambient air a lot better.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 29, 2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added comment about narrow AOV mode
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi View Post
Here...
Thanks for post this. You settings are virtually the same as mine, but I cannot explain why you are getting that un-natural azure blue sky! That was eradicated a couple FW revisions ago, and does not show up in my video clips!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,522 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

I never shared anything from Dropbox before - let's see if this works
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hw1zgqmvv48zjrh/7d3vEXbIm4

-Jan
It works, but I had to D/L the entire folder to see one video. Only one of the videos would play properly for me... the 720p-60fps MOV file. The other two MOV files would not show any video with WMP, but played fine with VLC player. They looked GORGEOUS, but YouTube has sure butchered them! There is no way the YouTube clips do justice to the quality of the native video.

I can't figure out why the 1080p MOV files do not play with WMP. Did you just rename them, or has there been some other editing done to them? Windows File Properties do not show any video information for them, while media info does, so there is something fractured in the file structure. The 1080p .AVI file also does not play properly with WMP... it produces audio but no video, but again VLC plays them fine.

If the files have not been tampered with in any way, there is something strange going on with your camera. Maybe you should download and re-install the 0.32 FW since the colors you are getting are not representative of the 0.32 palette.

Can you upload a clip straight off the camera with the default file name format so it can be easily identified as a native camera file?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2006
19 Posts
Apparently there's also a US seller on eBay, not official or anything of course.
disq is online now Find More Posts by disq
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Jun 2013
12 Posts
Videos so far look great!

I am a bit ashamed to ask, and I know some will call me crazy, but: Do you think it would be possible in the future to implement a setting to choose between "Vivid colors" (i.e. with the azure sky, which I like) and "Real colors"?
goofyfoot is offline Find More Posts by goofyfoot
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
About jhi videos: you can download 1 single video if you want. Just click it and then click the 3 dots button on the lower right corner to chose download.

Im on a mac but it happened here as well. VLC was the only one who played them correctly. And I too have noticed the azure blue...

About the case: it is not efficient, Tom. It heats a lot because too much air is trapped inside. The case should follow the design of the camera and should only be used when placed in moving objects to get some wind. The closer it is to the camera, the quicker it cools down the little air inside and the quicker the cooler gets transferred to it IF a proper heat-sink is installed. I would like to see some temperature readings with that case vs one as I described paired with a metal plate on top that also follows the top curves on the front (this is the are that is more prone to wind) which thens goes directly to the heatsink on its house.

I apologize if I could not explain it better. Had a really really rough day, so I'm tired and it is 3am here. 5h sleep - yey!
PedroDank is offline Find More Posts by PedroDank
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:27 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,676 Posts
Quote:
I have tried VideoOut on my mini octocopter. I am also new to FPV piloting, but for me the camera is perfect - don't know the AOV for VideoOut, I guess about the same as 720p-60fps. Total weight for my FPV equipment is only ab. 78g! (5.8Ghz VTX, simple OSD and Mobius).

-Jan
About video out the question are:

Is thre any unwanted OSD added by camera?

Since camera is 16:9 and av is 4:3 ... do you get black lines up and down, or it crop the left side video, or it mess up with proportions, making all object taller ?

Boscam just got a firmware update for improve the av out. And it is quite good now in my view
But I don't know nothing about av out from mobius

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:35 AM
Joined Feb 2011
980 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tom, Do you have any Experience with the Boscam HD19? Being as these both are HD and offer Video out how do you think they compare? Also How does the Video out compare to dedicated fpv cams like the z4020 on securitycamera2000??
uh..search on youtube, you may found some interesting video.
search "securitycamera2000 PZ0420", there are some videos for customers' reference.
SC2000 is online now Find More Posts by SC2000
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
980 Posts
uh..search on youtube, you may found some interesting video.
search "securitycamera2000 PZ0420", there are some videos for customers' reference.
SC2000 is online now Find More Posts by SC2000
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
About video out the question are:

Is thre any unwanted OSD added by camera?

Since camera is 16:9 and av is 4:3 ... do you get black lines up and down, or it crop the left side video, or it mess up with proportions, making all object taller ?

Boscam just got a firmware update for improve the av out. And it is quite good now in my view
But I don't know nothing about av out from mobius

I take it you are referring to the Mobius. You can set the output format ratio to either 16:9 or 4:3.
In 16:9 mode you get the black lines.
In 4:3 mode the picture is vertically stretched so there are no black lines. At least that's how my monitor shows the picture. The video completely fills the screen.
There are no icons messing up the display except in playback mode where a timer and a small pause/play icon is shown. You can also set the output to PAL or NTSC.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:58 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
It works, but I had to D/L the entire folder to see one video. Only one of the videos would play properly for me... the 720p-60fps MOV file. The other two MOV files would not show any video with WMP, but played fine with VLC player. They looked GORGEOUS, but YouTube has sure butchered them! There is no way the YouTube clips do justice to the quality of the native video.

I can't figure out why the 1080p MOV files do not play with WMP. Did you just rename them, or has there been some other editing done to them? Windows File Properties do not show any video information for them, while media info does, so there is something fractured in the file structure. The 1080p .AVI file also does not play properly with WMP... it produces audio but no video, but again VLC plays them fine.

If the files have not been tampered with in any way, there is something strange going on with your camera. Maybe you should download and re-install the 0.32 FW since the colors you are getting are not representative of the 0.32 palette.

Can you upload a clip straight off the camera with the default file name format so it can be easily identified as a native camera file?
Tom and all,
Thank you for your comments on my videoes and trying to help!
I guess I brought it upon myself, but very excited over the video quality and full of hybris I rushed the first post to RcGroups.
I did not expect so many questions about my procedures publishing the material. We all make mistakes, I shall disclose one of mine at the end of this post .
Just to recap:
1) Please go back to post #36. Misunderstandings about Vimeo not presenting 1080p has been cleared. I uploaded 1080p material, Vimeo degraded to what they call HD - 720p with a low bitrate - also see post #62
2) Post #36 again. Uploaded 1080p (cropped with AviDemux) to YouTube, first "REC_0015", and later "REC_0017" for comparison. I think "REC_0017" looked better regarding the "blue shift", but got no comments.
3) Firmware. Please go to post #44 and have a look at the screenshots taken immediately after Isoprop thought I must have used old fw. The screenshot shows "Bootloader=001 Firmware=2013/06/25 v032". This is the fw I used at the beach, I just opened mSetup and connected the camera to show status. Fw update from mSetup was not possible at that time - confirmed by Isoprop. Going back to 0.32 to shoot the last part of the clip, I again had to manually install the fw (a well known procedure by now). To be sure I downloaded the 0.32 fw again with mSetup, unzipped and copied FWTLCAM.BIN back to the PC folder and camera memory card.
4) Post #49. Clips with fw 0.32 - 0.26 - 0.32(new?). First clip was made with the same fw as was loaded on the beach (yes I am sure) - (presumable latest) 0.32 - see above. Both first and last part of the clip shows normal sky color, the middle 0.26 fw is abnormal. I have no explanation other than different location and a couple of hours later.
5)Video cutting - AviDemux. See post #80 (Normandy5), #69 (Tom) and #76 (me).
Lately I have used AviDemux to remove the start/end, boring material in the middle and to protect privacy (for the people around me). I always use VLC for playback, and never experienced the problem you have with other players. YouTube and Vimeo did not mind either. Now my mistake: I am lazy, and sometimes/often I copy the filename from the source file in the "save" dialog - rename it by adding "crop" or similar. The result is renaming of the extension also - should have been .AVI - I guess - but became .MOV. I apologize! Anyway, VLC does not care . I am pretty sure no ordinary re-encoding is happening, it takes only a second or two, and my 2 year i7 processor is not that fast!
6) Watching videos in YouTube. Tom, you keep complaining about the playback quality from YouTube - I wonder if we see the same... I just made a test on my computer with a 27" Fujitsu monitor (resolution 2560x1440), comparing original material and playback 1080p mode from YouTube - full screen. There is a difference, but to my eyes not as you describe as "butchered". PS - I have no stocks in YouTube .
7) Cloudy today, so not able to redo any of the scenes from yesterday - will do as soon as the sky is blue again..

Have a nice day all!

EDIT
Forgot to mention - no OSD or VideoOut cable connected yesterday..

-Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; Jun 28, 2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: .. spelling VLC
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:12 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,676 Posts
Quote:
5)Video cutting - AviDemux. See post #80 (Normandy5), #69 (Tom) and #76 (me).
Lately I have used AviDemux to remove the start/end, boring material in the middle and to protect personal integrity (people around me). I always use VLC for playback, and never experienced the problem you have with other players. YouTube and Vimeo did not mind either. Now my mistake: I am lazy, and sometimes/often I copy the filename from the source file in the "save" dialog - rename it by adding "crop" or similar. The result is renaming of the extension also - should have been .AVI - I guess - but became .MOV. I apologize! Anyway, AVC does not care . I am pretty sure no ordinary recoding is happening, it takes only a second or two, and my 2 year i7 processor is not that fast!
6) Watching videos in YouTube. Tom, you keep complaining about the playback quality from YouTube - I wonder if we see the same... I just made a test on my computer with a 27" Fujitsu monitor (resolution 2560x1440), comparing original material and playback 1080p mode from YouTube - full screen. There is a difference, but to my eyes not as you describe as "butchered". PS - I have no stocks in YouTube .
-Jan
About AviDemux (which I use a lot ) ... I would suggest to select output format in MKV.
MKV is the most generic video/streams container ... it is also the one that works best for play my video directly on my, old, and not so smart HD TV
MKV is fully supported by VLC, Android and YouTube, and possibly by many other stuffs.

Personally I hate re-encoding ... it will reduce quality and it will sucks tons of CPU and real time ... with AviDemux at the speed of the HD/micoSR read/write I can crop my video keeping original video quality, as well, I can make multiple crops, and then combine into a single video ... so the basic editing without any re-encoding...

About YouTube ... I personally think that it is a brilliant service, quality is OK .. but mainly it is the first and only service that I know, that share the Adv revenues with the "customers" ... so not only YouTube provide a service for free to us, but also give us back few "cents" as a gift from the Adv clicks ... like RCGroups would give us back some cent for each post, since this attract reader and these may click on some Adv.

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70