No, we don't need a micro receiver that might make our lives easier. 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Alert
Would you like to see a 2ch/3ch receiver made for our boats?

The electronics we in our micro boats are often out of place. Meaning, they were never designed to have any consideration for our boats. Yet we still take bricks and giant receivers to control and power our boats.

Do you guys think we need a dedicated 2ch or 3ch micro receiver designed for our purpose?
Please post why you chose what you chose. Also please post what you would pay for such.

I think so. Therefore, I'll throw a few ideas out.
- pins, not plugs
- onboard brushed esc

Pin, not Plugs:
- It is hard to properly grip some of the plugs we encounter. As a result, some of us risk damaging our boats trying to unplug the servos or speed controllers from the receiver. Vertical pins would be ideal, just not as big as the standard servo pins. 1.27mm pitch connectors (found on most micro brushed motors) would be ideal.

Onboard Brushed ESC
- A single drive boat will only need so much current. A 3-5amp esc would be nice.
- For twin setups, such as scale ships, either a larger esc or dual escs would be ideal.

Kev
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Ok don't post, but at least put a vote up on the board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:07 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
Specially designed RC gear just for boats is a brand new idea.

I think people need time to digest the idea and think about what they would like to have. Maybe just a thread rather than a poll where people vote on things they never considered and haven't had time to think about.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
I see where you are coming from, but this is only a receiver with less channels. If there was anything to introduce the movement, this is it.

Kev
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many channels.

Pete
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
I bet I can prove each of those wrong.
rich - you start to get stupid with everything including life
thin - anorexia will eventually kill you
channels - the extra pins take up too much space and won't allow the receiver to fit in the desired location.

- David (Deltang) said he would be willing to change out the FET on the the boards for a higher amp rating, but this would only send the price of the receiver sky high due to custom work.
- Plantraco gave me a rude response. (I've never had anything positive to do with them. At this point, I honestly wouldn't care if they went under.)

I figured that we may never get something like this, so I'll just adapt...which is nothing new. I designed a "marine" case that waterproofs the receiver and puts the pins where I want them: on top. I made a 2ch version and a 3ch version, but I can add one more channel slot without making it bigger.

I made it for the Rx31.
- 14.9mm length
- 12.3mm width
- 4.4mm high w/o pins
- looking to be 9mm high with full length (3mm) pins and hounsing
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
I'm willing to risk rich. If you saw me anorexia would be the last thing you'd think of but I have to agree that reducing complexity at the rx end is wise especially if you want to waterproof stuff.

I just got a few Hobby King 4 channel orange rx's. I wonder if, after sticking it together it could be dipped in something to totally waterproof it (and any ESC) except for the battery lead?

Aside: Did you see the new 100 lb 4' drone sub to be used searching and destroying mines?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
You could probably dip them in plasti dip or some other liquid rubber compound. Just put something in the sockets and keep all but the base of the antenna out.

I think the case, once assembled with the receiver, will be waterproof yet still accesible. I can throw any pins on it with out making it longer.

Aside: No I have not.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
So I changed it up a little bit. It is now about 16mm long with the same width, but the pins sit 1mm lower. I gave it four 3 position spots, so the end user can just block a hole he/she doesn't need. I was thinking about assigning the lower spot to actual throttle, and the upper spot to throttle signal. I can just cap one when the other is not in use.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346352880.601224.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 112.3 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346352923.051403.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 189.5 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:10 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
what about the deltang car/train receivers? they are tiny and run on either the surface radio or the air radio.

i really dont mind using the air receivers. other than having pins instead of connectors, what advantages are there?
i could see the brushed esc being higher rating being useful though...
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:33 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
what about the deltang car/train receivers? they are tiny and run on either the surface radio or the air radio.

i really dont mind using the air receivers. other than having pins instead of connectors, what advantages are there?
i could see the brushed esc being higher rating being useful though...
Those might be a bit over the top, plus they lack even a 2a esc so you wouldn't even be able to use a 7mm with them. All of them work with surface and air radios.

The pins are my main focus really. They are pretty much all the same though.

I just got a longboard for school and an led setup for it, so I am a little low on funds right now.
RCG Plus Member